C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Corvette torque tube failure...again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 12:19 AM
rickvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by csgoman
Dan, it's very possible engine damage could or would have occurred depending on the length of time and the severity of the torque tube damage. What happens is when the diaphragm style flex plate expands, the prop shaft moves back. Then when throttle is released, it snaps back into position and when the hold down clamp doesn't hold, the splined shaft slips in the flex plate. However the clamp isn't loose enough to let it slide back in so it forces the crankshaft forward into the block. The thrust washer is only half and located in the upper crank main bearing for number 3. This gets damaged easily and causes excessive crank runout or in most cases wil bind the crank and then eventually locks it up. Mine died after I ran it on the freeway because the crank seized in the block due to excessive pressure forced by the torque tube prop shaft. This was indicated by the starter smoking and no crank when trying to restart. The starter was replaced and the engine ran until warmed up and then died again during a roadtrst. Found a noise coming from the flex plate ring gear was hitting the starter drive gear in the rested position. Found torque tube prop shaft had slipped back again and this is evident when looking through the inspection hole of the bell housing. The beating surface of the prop shaft into the housing should be close to flush but was back about a half inch. GM indicated service procedur may not hav been followed and that was the cause of the failure. I know for a fact this wasn't the case as I was the the doing the repair. I did some research after finding the hold down clamp was the same one from the original replacement of the torque tube and also found the Z06 uses a beefier flex plate and carbon torque tube instead of Aluminum. Very possible the added strength and lighter weight of the Z06 setup helps from failures happening as often in those cars. I'm actually wanting to find more owners with the same issues. There is in my opinion a design issue since these failures are happening so soon. In my case at 2500 miles and again 5k miles after and then again another 7k miles after that. I haven't had the car long enough since the eng e was replaced a second time to see if the new Goodwin clamp for the prop shaft does a better job. Highly suspect that people having the flex plate replaced because of the noise which was indicated in a GM bulletin as the flex plate aren't looking at the torque tube when removing it. Therefore when the torque tube gets reinstalled after the plate replacement, it changes the position of the prop shaft to give more clearance to the crankshaft only temporarily until the customer drives the vehicle a little more and then the issue reoccurs. GM has revised the procedure a number of times. An engineer was called out to verify the service procedures were done correctly. I had to one time correct the engineer as the prop shaft to convert or plate was phased incorrectly. I have 28k miles on the car right now and it's still in the shop. I have had another dealer working on it instead of taking it to mine during the last few repairs just to avoid any conflictt of interests. End results still the same. Everyone of those miles but the first 1500 were plagued with issues. My car was ordered under the employee program and built on a Monday 11-16-15. I ordered the car in August of that year. Very disappointed to experience this as my pre 2002 F-Bodies never had these issues.

Read your article with great interest. MY 2015 has been through the following- New 8 speed trans, 2 torque tubes and now a new engine.
Car began cranking slow, then finally engine stopped running in traffic. The starter burnt up. The dealer pulled the engine and found #3 thrust bearing and block/crank damage. I at this point most likely will dispose of the car as my trust is gone. I have multiple open cases through the dealer with GM Tech.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:45 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I don't think this issue was so bad on the either the C5 or C6. The fix is the C8. Certainly it won't have any of these problems.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Everyone is posting about having this replaced but no one has said what the symptom was on why it went to the dealer. What are the symptoms of this issue? I have an M7 and I hear a rotational sound from under the shifter. It sounds like marbles in a can.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Does the sound go away when you depress the clutch? if so, torque tube bearings would be the noise you hear, and your description is spot on.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
Does the sound go away when you depress the clutch? if so, torque tube bearings would be the noise you hear, and your description is spot on.
Yes it does. In past cars the throw out bearing caused the same sound. Im worried about going to the dealer and them taking my car apart. We all know its never the same.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:20 AM
terry50
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

just got mine back from the dealer. had a noise in the rrear end at 1500 rpm in 8th gear. they said that noise is normal. will be looking at new mustangs. done with gm
Old 04-14-2018, 12:39 AM
Footsam
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just found out I have the Same problem on 2017 Stingray with 3000 miles. Statreted with an intermittent rattling sound when braking which escalated quickly to be more common. I have been driving this car very conservatively, deciding no hard driving until after SMR school. Car is out of service for 4 days on this visit and I am now concerned this problem will not be resolved properly.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:07 AM
terry50
Instructor

Originally Posted by footsam
just found out i have the same problem on 2017 stingray with 3000 miles. Statreted with an intermittent rattling sound when braking which escalated quickly to be more common. I have been driving this car very conservatively, deciding no hard driving until after smr school. Car is out of service for 4 days on this visit and i am now concerned this problem will not be resolved properly.
mine goes in next week. Seems to be a rear end. You would think g.m. Would have a recall on the c7s. Good luck
Old 04-14-2018, 06:46 AM
terry50
Instructor

I would like to know if anyone got their own lawyer , or got a hold of the b.b.b. Too solve the problem this wabble problem is getting out of control. Seeems like g.m, is trying to sweep this problem under the rug. My final try to have someone fix the problem is going to end next week, when the g.m tech, comes to florida and look at the problem. I dont want to hear they know of the problem, but it doesent seem that bad. Time to call b.b.b.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Footsam
Heel & Toe

Default Rattling noise

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
Everyone is posting about having this replaced but no one has said what the symptom was on why it went to the dealer. What are the symptoms of this issue? I have an M7 and I hear a rotational sound from under the shifter. It sounds like marbles in a can.
Mine started as a light rattling noise I would hear during braking which at first lead me to believe something was going wrong with brakes. Then it vibrated while stopped but still an intermittent issue. It then got regular and I took it to the dealer. This was a rapid progression of the rattling noise, but even when dropping off the car, it was again hard to hear at the dealership after rattling all the way on the drive there.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:22 AM
terry50
Instructor

Mine runs great in all gears except 7th gear(auto a8 trans) in 7th gear at 1200 r.p.m, i feather the r.p.m up to 1500, bammm the wabble noise from the rear end. Going to christal river chevy florida next week, with a g.m tech. Will see what happens. This problem is the third attempt to fix the problem.one dealer said it wasnt bad enough to look for the problem, what a joke
Old 04-14-2018, 12:34 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan4time
Hello, after two torque tubes, and flex plate issues, all within 5000 of new, I sadly got rid of the Corvette. I am very, very disappointed. I loved the car, but knew I was in for more issues in the future. It can cause major crank damage, and all associated parts.
Did you sell it to a dealer? I feel bad for whoever ends up with this car. They are going to have a bad time
Old 06-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Footsam
Heel & Toe

Default Driveshaft assembly failure

Update on my driveshaft assembly failure. I just crossed 6000 miles and its back! The same rattling noise I heard before, so I will be going in for my second driveshaft assembly. On top of the first DSA failure, the technician did not properly bleed my brakes which required another trip back to the dealership. I have emailed GM executive office and Chevrolet customer care, anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 AM
terry50
Instructor

Originally Posted by Footsam
Update on my driveshaft assembly failure. I just crossed 6000 miles and its back! The same rattling noise I heard before, so I will be going in for my second driveshaft assembly. On top of the first DSA failure, the technician did not properly bleed my brakes which required another trip back to the dealership. I have emailed GM executive office and Chevrolet customer care, anyone have any other suggestions?
I had mine tripple flushed, rear end oil checked and refilled. went over it from top to bottom. gor the gm tech over and for 2 days, made a decision to put a new trans into it. called and said the car is readty, asked if they took it for a test ride, they said yes. got into the car drove it around the corner on to the street, their it is again the wabble doise. after talking to the gm rep they said they cant do nothing about it. might be a small calibration in the ring and pinion gear. the bottom line, they closed the case on the car. and the people at crystal chevy in florida said, bring it back when it greaks. never again another gm car
Old 06-28-2018, 12:46 AM
Footsam
Heel & Toe

Dropped off the car at the dealership with some confidence in the techs and service rep after some good communication. They found my forward prop shaft bearing to be out of place again, which was repositioned. Although this has corrected the noise, no one has come up with a root cause or a permanent solution to the problem, which is now a regular occurrence at 3000 miles. I am happy with the work the technicians performed, but I’m sure the invisible hand of GM is working behind the scenes controlling the situation.

The technicians also found loose hardware that the previous dealer had not properly torqued, which made a noticeable difference in the noise in the car. I thought the exhaust sound louder after the previous dealers work, and I believe these guys found some loose parts in the exhaust system as that was quieter as well. It was like getting my new car back!

My only disappointment is that the torque tube issue will happen again because there is no known way to fix it permanently. I am emailing regular updates to GM for every instance of this as they only want to talk on the phone, I am now keeping a written log via email.
The following users liked this post:
sirray4d (10-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Alonzo23
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had the same issues, Replaced torque tube, Replaced Torque converter. Spun bearing on engine... now i get a clunk when stopping even after the re-flash and my car doesnt even feel right driving any more. FYI THE WARBLE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE DIFF HAD MINE REPLACED AND ITS GONE! but i do feel a slight knock coming from the engine again.. which is probably because they never fixed the torque tube correctly. Shoot me a txt if anyone has any info 956-329-0821
Old 07-13-2018, 10:52 AM
terry50
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan4time
hello scott, do you feel i would have continued problems with my 2016 corvette? Either with engine or torque tube/flex plate related problems? Thanks, dan
i just got a call from tyi from gm. They told me they arent doing nothing about my problem unless the tech hears the sound all the time. The last mech told me to bring it back when it breaks...that was in florida a dealer called crystal river chevy . Going to look at the kis selento this afternoon. The vett is a piecve of ****

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Corvette torque tube failure...again!

Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Alonzo23
Navigator

Originally Posted by terry50
i just got a call from tyi from gm. They told me they arent doing nothing about my problem unless the tech hears the sound all the time. The last mech told me to bring it back when it breaks...that was in florida a dealer called crystal river chevy . Going to look at the kis selento this afternoon. The vett is a piecve of ****
I had to go all the way up to the Quality manager in order for them to even do anything...
Old 08-02-2018, 05:13 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Something else is mis-aligned or way out of spec.

1 defective torque tube, factory installed? Yeah, it happens. NBD.

2 defective torque tubes in a row, installed in the same car?
Statistically, you're beating the heck out of the odds. Time to start digging into other dependent areas (bent/torqued front or rear cradles, out of spec/alignment mating surfaces, etc).

Another possibility is that the replacement TT was not defective, but was not installed correctly, causing premature failure. To me, THAT seems more likely than 2 brand new but defective TT's in a row.
Friend of mine in now on his 2nd torque tube replacement. Can't seem to get a reason why. Less than10k on the car?
Old 09-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Made
1st Gear

I also got a 2019 stingray only 2 months ago it’s only got 2,500 miles nd the torque tube was making a scratching sound Nd now they got to replace the It I think it something that they got to look into

Quick Reply: 2016 Corvette torque tube failure...again!