C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the AFE a horsepower loser?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Is the AFE a horsepower loser?

I just got done talking with my tuner and he said the AFE intake has not been valuable at creating power and that the stock airbox with upgraded filter is a better at making power.

I haven't seen anything like this on the board, are others going back to stock?

Last edited by leadville1; 02-07-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Hmm.. Interested to see what people have to say about this.

-Josh
Old 02-07-2017, 08:05 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Hmm.. Interested to see what people have to say about this.

-Josh
Old 02-07-2017, 09:49 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Purely my opinion.

Chevy didn't get to the power levels we are currently at with leaving much on the table. There really isn't much low hanging fruit anymore. You're going to spend money for incremental gains.

I really don't think there's much to be gained in the intake track other than the filter used.
Exhaust is really just removing the cats. Otherwise it's pretty solid.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

from 2014
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-low-end.html

from 2014
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tune-dyno.html

both your threads?

there are a lot of threads showing gains out there also. I also thought for some reason you had a Z06 where the intakes make a bigger difference.

Just slapping the intake on without logging appropriate data isn't telling us much. These computers are sophisticated enough to pull spark or close throttle when you hit certain limits in the tune and the AFE is known to be a different sized tube the MAF sits in and could easily cause this. I've never logged one untuned, I tune everything.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This thread shows an AFE only install on the dyno. ~10 hp gain.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-install.html
Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
from 2014
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-low-end.html

from 2014
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tune-dyno.html

both your threads?

there are a lot of threads showing gains out there also. I also thought for some reason you had a Z06 where the intakes make a bigger difference.

Just slapping the intake on without logging appropriate data isn't telling us much. These computers are sophisticated enough to pull spark or close throttle when you hit certain limits in the tune and the AFE is known to be a different sized tube the MAF sits in and could easily cause this. I've never logged one untuned, I tune everything.
Yes your right, I forgot about those posts. The car has been tuned with this intake in place so I am going to leave it, chasing 10whp to me is not worth it. I don't think it is a fair comparison but with the MSD intake manifold it made about 12whp more on a different dyno, and different tune.

We shall see what it feels like when I get it back today. One thing for sure don't let GM flash anything on your car if you have an aftermarket tune. They totally screwed up my car.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

just fyi, i always ask them to flash any new updates on mine. i just pull them off and apply my old changes to the new GM tune and reflash it back on there so whatever GM updated can stay. It's a little work but you shouldn't need a whole new tune.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

just fyi, i always ask them to flash any new updates on mine. i just pull them off and apply my old changes to the new GM tune and reflash it back on there so whatever GM updated can stay. It's a little work but you shouldn't need a whole new tune.
It made no sense they said that most of the parameters that would have been put in were missing when they went to tune the car, cam phasing, injector angle etc. It needed a tune anyway with the new intake manifold and the STFT's were very high which probably meant it needed tweaking. If the original baseline had been there it would have probably been much easier.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by leadville1
It made no sense they said that most of the parameters that would have been put in were missing when they went to tune the car, cam phasing, injector angle etc. It needed a tune anyway with the new intake manifold and the STFT's were very high which probably meant it needed tweaking. If the original baseline had been there it would have probably been much easier.
did they have hptuners set to basic mode rather than advanced? that will hide a lot of stuff....

thats where id put my money, of course theyd be crazy to admit to that one.....
Old 02-08-2017, 09:18 AM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Biggest gains are on the Z06
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

did they have hptuners set to basic mode rather than advanced? that will hide a lot of stuff....

thats where id put my money, of course theyd be crazy to admit to that one.....
I think it is a safe to say they understand HP Tuners
Old 02-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

I think it is a safe to say they understand HP Tuners
its a simple mistake and its been made many times before. when you say tables werent visible this indicates to me being in basic mode. sometimes it happens after updating HPT.

I think many of us have been there before, it is a true WTF moment.

not saying they are wrong or this is for sure what happened but I've done 100 factory updates and continued tuning with no issue so it's the only thing I can think of. sometimes the simple answer is the most rightest.

saying that GM's flash on your car hid tables from HPT would just be the first time I have ever heard of that in 10 years.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:09 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

its a simple mistake and its been made many times before. when you say tables werent visible this indicates to me being in basic mode. sometimes it happens after updating HPT.

I think many of us have been there before, it is a true WTF moment.

not saying they are wrong or this is for sure what happened but I've done 100 factory updates and continued tuning with no issue so it's the only thing I can think of. sometimes the simple answer is the most rightest.

saying that GM's flash on your car hid tables from HPT would just be the first time I have ever heard of that in 10 years.
I'm not educated enough on HP Tuners to address, I would leave that to Bailey's Hyperformance to answer. The car ran like crap after the flash from GM, when re-flashed it didn't transfer all of the tune. I did the re-flash from my file I had of the tune.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:22 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

I decided to buy the Halltech and install it, and have it re-tuned and dyno'd again.

This should be a good comparison to see if there truly are gains to be had with this intake.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Maximus68
Racer

I decided to buy the Halltech and install it, and have it re-tuned and dyno'd again.

This should be a good comparison to see if there truly are gains to be had with this intake.
I am looking forward to your findings. Until then, I will save my money on an air intake.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:38 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Any update on this?

Get notified of new replies

To Is the AFE a horsepower loser?

Old 04-15-2017, 11:35 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I decided sometime back in 2016 (so it seems from search, where I initially thought the opposite) that it was the filter, not the housing, that was the restriction. So I opted not to get a CAI and instead just run an upgraded green filter. But I wanted to get a stock baseline before dropping it in, and the weather hasn't permitted track time yet... so one day, I shall find out for sure! But not today.

Remember it's entirely possible that CAIs show benefits because they too replace the restrictive LT1 filter, but they may not be the ONLY or EASIEST way to achieve it, that's all.

Last edited by davepl; 04-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I decided sometime back in 2016 (so it seems from search, where I initially thought the opposite) that it was the filter, not the housing, that was the restriction. So I opted not to get a CAI and instead just run an upgraded green filter. But I wanted to get a stock baseline before dropping it in, and the weather hasn't permitted track time yet... so one day, I shall find out for sure! But not today.

Remember it's entirely possible that CAIs show benefits because they too replace the restrictive LT1 filter, but they may not be the ONLY or EASIEST way to achieve it, that's all.
It's almost never the tube and always the larger airbox that allows a much larger air filter that cause the gains seen with a "CAI."

There was a time when engines sucked hot air right off the top middle of the engine (carb, TBI, etc) and an aftermarket CAI truly did make a difference with temps as well as CFM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 PM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default AFE Tuned

Higgs, what gains in terms of torque and drive ability did you see tuning an AFE on a C7 Stingray? Had one installed untuned recently on my A8 and the car runs and sounds better.

Last edited by marcouvo; 04-15-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the AFE a horsepower loser?