C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 phosphorus and zinc level consumptions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:57 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamran
I've used both of those Motul weights on my FRS, and liked 0W40 slightly better. I think for the Corvette, if you are going dual duty, 0W40 is the ticket. As also is the case with X25's test results.

I had used 0W40 before with my FRS. I think 0W40 is certainly a better weight than 5W30.

I'm starting to wonder if dealer in fact did put in Mobil 1 5W30 as I specifically asked them for it? Or was it something out of their barrel? I changed it at 465 miles and put 1200 miles on it and my phos zinc levels were at 620 and 693 respectively...? Much lower than yours!
I hate getting anything done at the dealers. I honestly did not even use my free oil changes.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
I hate getting anything done at the dealers. I honestly did not even use my free oil changes.
Well at least this time I stood there and watched them empty out 15W50's in there.
And they gave me an extra bottle they had since they special ordered the bottles for me.

Last edited by Kamran; 04-10-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by goec2468
That is a concern I also always had and that is why I bring my own oil.
Usually you have to pay a "fee for the old oil", but I don't mind.
I am not bringing the oil to save money (nothing wrong with that), but to make sure it is the oil I want in the engine.

Regards

Götz
Since you are in Germany, I'm curious what are the phosphorus and zinc contents for both 0W40 and 15W50 Extended Performance M1 oils? I understand you guys still get these in Extended Performance.

I have one other free oil change, which I'll save for changing back to street oil when fall starts. After that, I'll be changing my own oil and biz as usual.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:59 AM
goec2468
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamran
Since you are in Germany, I'm curious what are the phosphorus and zinc contents for both 0W40 and 15W50 Extended Performance M1 oils? I understand you guys still get these in Extended Performance.

I have one other free oil change, which I'll save for changing back to street oil when fall starts. After that, I'll be changing my own oil and biz as usual.
To be honest I have no idea about the zinc and phosphorus content of any of the European oils.
The manufacturers don't provide this information and oil analysis is simply not done by consumers here.
I tried to find a lab in Germany doing that kind of analysis, but couldn't find any (it might exist, but I couldn't find any).

If you buy a sythetic oil here in Germany, from a reputable manufacturer according to the car makers spec, it will work - even for 20.000 miles if it is a long life oil.
Consumers typically have the oil changed by the dealer and don't care what they fill in.
It just works.
There are very little people here that get themselves involved with what oil to use.

When GM recommends a 5W30 dexos oil to be used, that is what the dealer fills into the Corvette (incl. mine).
Obviously 5W30 provides enough protection for the engine and believe me, the oils are really tortured on German Autobahn.

A 15W50 I think is over the top.

Regards

Götz
Old 04-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by goec2468
To be honest I have no idea about the zinc and phosphorus content of any of the European oils.
The manufacturers don't provide this information and oil analysis is simply not done by consumers here.
I tried to find a lab in Germany doing that kind of analysis, but couldn't find any (it might exist, but I couldn't find any).

If you buy a sythetic oil here in Germany, from a reputable manufacturer according to the car makers spec, it will work - even for 20.000 miles if it is a long life oil.
Consumers typically have the oil changed by the dealer and don't care what they fill in.
It just works.
There are very little people here that get themselves involved with what oil to use.

When GM recommends a 5W30 dexos oil to be used, that is what the dealer fills into the Corvette (incl. mine).
Obviously 5W30 provides enough protection for the engine and believe me, the oils are really tortured on German Autobahn.

A 15W50 I think is over the top.

Regards

Götz
Well for now (while under warranty), 15W50 is what GM wants for track use. Since I put more miles on the track (incl drive to and from) than on public roads, I'll go with that, until fall. Especially since, as far as M1 goes, it provides the highest phos zinc content for vale train and scuffing protection during track works.

I use public transportation and live in the city, so don't drive much on public roads. I can't stand traffic!

Last edited by Kamran; 04-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
I've used Mobil 1 0W-40, and I got excellent results after 4 track days spanning 1500 miles. I honestly don't think Mobil1 is a bad oil at all.

On another note, I don't think you should judge oils on just zinc levels, etc. Check out how your engine fares as you attend track days. After all, the lab analysis will provide the information (like aluminum count) to show if you're OK or not.
Ok I just got my results for the second test, and compared it to your results. After 1,750 miles on the 15W50 oil. Comparing it to your 0W40, I have much lower silicon (unless you are driving on very dusty roads, or you went agricultural at the track), and higher viscosity at higher temps.

My silicon level is 19, iron is 26, phos is 1016, zinc is 1129.
Viscocity at 210 is 78.7, at 100 is 15.2, flash point is 455.

They suggest I can go 3,000 miles based on my results. Although I won't be doing that.

I also sent them a sample of my virgin oil, which I should be getting results back later this afternoon.

Last edited by Kamran; 06-26-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:35 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

What were your results for virgin oil?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by djnice
What were your results for virgin oil?
Silicon was 5, iron 0, phos 973, zinc 1070
@ 210 is 89.3, @ 100 is 17.8, flash point 465

You'll note virgin oil phos and zinc are actually a little lower than the used oil. They explained additive elements were acceptable and within 10% spectral variation.

Of course it could also be due to the fact I took the virgin oil sample off the top, when I opened the bottle. I should have shaken the bottle before sampling. I generally take the used oil sample from the middle of draining it.

I'm actually quite happy with the 15W50 results, compared to anything else I've seen results for, considering 15W50 viscocity at higher temps. Of course I'll be switching to 5W30 once track season is over by the end of Sept/early Oct.

Last edited by Kamran; 06-26-2017 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
djnice (06-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 phosphorus and zinc level consumptions