C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about track alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Question about track alignment

I have a C7 Z51 and want to get the track alignment. After the alignment does the shop need to use a scan tool and reset the steering wheel position sensor?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

No. If it's a good shop, they will make sure the steering wheel is straight, make adjustments to the alignment, and the wheel will still be centered and the wheels going straight ahead after the alignment is complete.

However - it's definitely possible that they could mess it up.

Do you have a PDR??

If so, and you suspect for some reason that the steering angle isn't zeroed, or if you just want to check it, make a PDR video with the Track overlay.

Go to PDR, click on Select Overlay, and select Track, and start recording. The Track overlay has a steering angle gauge on the bottom right of the screen. Go driving on a "STRAIGHT" and "FLAT" road (try to find a section of road with no crown), center the steering wheel, and talk to the PDR - it will record your voice. Tell it when you are going STRAIGHT with steering wheel CENTERED.

You can't see the display while it's recording, but when you review the video and see you're on a straight section of road, and hear yourself saying your steering wheel is centered and you're going straight, take a look at the steering angle gauge and make sure it says 0°.

If you see something more than a degree or two off, then you might have a problem.

Bottom line - I don't think getting an alignment should mess up your steering angle zero position, but if you have a PDR you can easily check if you think you have a problem.

Here's a picture of the car going down a flat and straight section of road with the steering wheel centered, and you can see the gauge says the steering angle sensor is giving me a 0° steering angle:

Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
No. If it's a good shop, they will make sure the steering wheel is straight, make adjustments to the alignment, and the wheel will still be centered and the wheels going straight ahead after the alignment is complete.

However - it's definitely possible that they could mess it up.

Do you have a PDR??

If so, and you suspect for some reason that the steering angle isn't zeroed, or if you just want to check it, make a PDR video with the Track overlay.

Go to PDR, click on Select Overlay, and select Track, and start recording. The Track overlay has a steering angle gauge on the bottom right of the screen. Go driving on a "STRAIGHT" and "FLAT" road (try to find a section of road with no crown), center the steering wheel, and talk to the PDR - it will record your voice. Tell it when you are going STRAIGHT with steering wheel CENTERED.

You can't see the display while it's recording, but when you review the video and see you're on a straight section of road, and hear yourself saying your steering wheel is centered and you're going straight, take a look at the steering angle gauge and make sure it says 0°.

If you see something more than a degree or two off, then you might have a problem.

Bottom line - I don't think getting an alignment should mess up your steering angle zero position, but if you have a PDR you can easily check if you think you have a problem.

Here's a picture of the car going down a flat and straight section of road with the steering wheel centered, and you can see the gauge says the steering angle sensor is giving me a 0° steering angle:

I do have PDR. That's a great idea and should at least tell me if it is still set ok. Thanks!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Question about track alignment

Quick Reply: Question about track alignment