C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM 30-0333 WO2 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Default AEM 30-0333 WO2 Problem

The AEM 30-0333 wideband & sensor is supposed to be all the rage today, because it delivers its signal directly to the CAN bus. Not only is this clever because it piggy backs on the OBD2 port, but now you don't need to buy the Pro version of HP Tuners to do wideband logging.

So with that background, I had mine installed yesterday. When I picked my car up, the car was operating normally. I observed the gauge readout. Went to dinner. Drove home. Looked a little closer at the installation, once home. No problems.

This morning I got up with the intent to do some logging. I needed to go back to the shop anyway to get my take off parts from the previous day.
Started the car up and immediately, everything went wonky. I could hear the NPP turning on & off. The steering wheel started twitching back & forth. CEL was set. "Service Steering", "Service StabiliTrack". Fans spinning up & down. WTFO?

Turned off the car. Plugged into the (extended) OBD2 port with my HP Tuners Pro. Power on, connect to vehicle. HP Tuners errors with cannot find vehicle.
Removed the extended OBD2 connector and plugged HP Tuners directly in. No problem connecting to vehicle. Cleared the DTCs. Started the car and it ran fine with no issues.

Plugged the AEM OBD2 port extender back in, making sure that none of the pins were bent or damaged and the connecter was fully seated. Started the car and it goes all wonky again, setting codes. Unplugged and cleared the codes.

Since these seem to be fairly popular today, does anyone have this product and experienced this issue or have any ideas as to the problem here? In parallel, I have sent a customer service request to AEM.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bigsapper; 04-22-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

probably have a bad ground to the AEM causing a startup/check issue.

have you tried starting the car, plug in HPT and clear codes, then without turning it off plug in the AEM, wait a minute, then plug in HPT.

in other words, will the car start up without issues if the gauge is unplugged from OBD and will it run fine if you plug it in after it's running.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:27 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

It will start fine without it plugged in. If I plug it in after I start it, I get the same issues. CEL codes, electrics cutting on/off, etc.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
It will start fine without it plugged in. If I plug it in after I start it, I get the same issues. CEL codes, electrics cutting on/off, etc.
check the easy like the back of the gauge, make sure the two plugs are in good and make sure the wires are in the back of the two plugs good also.

if that looks right then you'd have to check the ground and power wherever they connect and if they look good then you'd have to check the actual wires (ugh) and if they look good then I'd be asking AEM to swap it out.
The following users liked this post:
bigsapper (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 02:54 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Bazinga! Thanks!

It's working now. I've got the gauge under the dash near my right knee until I figure out where I want to mount the gauge. Guess I nudge it enough wit my knee to cause this to happen.

Last edited by bigsapper; 04-22-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:16 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

You know what? The forum should give points for people that fix **** online. Most tech sites do this today. I think that would be a great win-win.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:33 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
You know what? The forum should give points for people that fix **** online. Most tech sites do this today. I think that would be a great win-win.

LOL I agree, do you know where they tapped into the power and ground for your AEM? I stuck mine in the air vent but need to tap in and its ready to go

Get notified of new replies

To AEM 30-0333 WO2 Problem

Quick Reply: AEM 30-0333 WO2 Problem