C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something cheap for jacking C7?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 PM
weatherby460
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something cheap for jacking C7?

I have a low profile jack from HF (Orange new style), and it has a rubber pad on it. But what else do I need to use to jack a side of to replace brakes? Thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by weatherby460
I have a low profile jack from HF (Orange new style), and it has a rubber pad on it. But what else do I need to use to jack a side of to replace brakes? Thanks
Better have jack stand under it - other than that you can pull it off - only jack the car just enough to do the job

Do one wheel at a time to be safe and not put stress on the whole side of the car - obvious but thought I would say it

Last edited by rsvette12; 06-27-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Jacking pucks. If you don't have them the jack will crack the side skirts.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Hockey pucks work great as cheap jacking pucks! I would suggest a jack stand too if you plan to get under the car at all (I know at least my legs are typically under the car while working on the brakes).
Old 06-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by weatherby460
I use lift pucks in the front shipping slots and my HF 1.5 ton race jack to lift the car. Once it is up I place jack stands under the ends of the front cross member near the lca mounting points making sure the jack stand support bridges both sides of the cross member (not across the car but the few inches lengthwise across the cradle). Then I lower the car enough to put some weight on the jack stands but leave the jack as a backup support. You can do the rear the same way. If you are at the track and won't be getting under the car you can do the job by jacking the car very high and placing one jack stand on the opposite side of the cradle and lowering the jack until the jackstand is supporting the front of the car. Then leave the jack supporting its side of the car. If the jack fails the jack stand will still support the car.

The frame is stiff and will not twist and you aren't putting any damaging forces on it.
Bill
Old 06-29-2018, 01:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Am I the only one who doesn't use jackstands for brakes? I don't ever get underneath the car so I don't mess with it. Probably not best practice but I don't see the real risk other than cracking my garage floor.

I actually get the rear off the ground using the same front jacking point.

Last edited by village idiot; 06-29-2018 at 01:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by village idiot:
desmophile (06-29-2018), raylo (06-29-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 10:37 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Before making "cheap" a requirement you might wish to look at the current thread where a guy posted pix after his car fell from his jack. I'm sure a search would find more. I be more interested in "secure."
Old 07-01-2018, 01:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Am I the only one who doesn't use jackstands for brakes? I don't ever get underneath the car so I don't mess with it. Probably not best practice but I don't see the real risk other than cracking my garage floor.

I actually get the rear off the ground using the same front jacking point.
Yeah, I have done that once or twice when in a hurry at the track and squatting beside the car to change pads. Usually I place a jack stand under the cradle just in case the jack decides to suddenly lose pressure.

Bill
Old 07-01-2018, 11:00 AM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

With the price of the carbon brake rotors on my car, there is no way it goes up without a jack stand underneath, let alone safety for me. I guess that would even apply to iron rotors and body panels for non ZO7 cars.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:31 PM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yeah, I have done that once or twice when in a hurry at the track and squatting beside the car to change pads. Usually I place a jack stand under the cradle just in case the jack decides to suddenly lose pressure.

Bill
Even on Jack Stands, I slide the tires under the car so if for whatever reason it comes off the jack stands it falls on the tires. If lifting only with the jack to work on the car (not safest option) you could still do this.

Get notified of new replies

To Something cheap for jacking C7?

Quick Reply: Something cheap for jacking C7?