C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 C7 Z06 7MT 900 miles Check Engine Light - Code P0033 and P034

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 PM
Dencoop
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 C7 Z06 7MT 900 miles Check Engine Light - Code P0033 and P034

Good Evenig To All,

I have been on these forums for the last few years off and on. Finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Brand New C7 Z06.

I am coming from cars such as Porsche 911, Ferrari Cali 30 and Cali T, Maseratti, Bentley, All ///M cars (current generation and some previous).

I decided that it was time to finally buy American and never look back, I got very excited that I was going to get so much performance for so little money in comparison to the European competition. The Bonus for me was that it's American Made !!!

In any case, I am hoping that I can get some valid help and input from you guys.....

I carefully broke in the car and did the 500 mile 1st oil change as recommended. Finally decided that I can open her up a little, I mean this car is advertised as a beast and I figured I can open it a bit on the NJ Parkway should be fine.

at around 90 degrees in traffic before I even had a chance to open her up I got a Check engine light out of the blue with a message that read "Reduced Power"

I called Onstar and they did a remote diagnostic and said that it was coming back as code P0033 and P0034

It was a real disappointment to say the least. I brought it into my local dealer 2 days ago and it is still there. I have never had these type of issues with all of my previous cars. Either I was lucky or the Z06 just had some real problems.

dont get me wrong my other cars had issues but never something that would reduce my driving joy which is the main purpose of purchasing a car such as this....

do you you guys have any experience with these codes? Should I sell the car and take the hit now so I don't have to go through months of headaches or do you guys think this is something minor that should be resolved with this dealer visit?

are there any known TSBs ?

should I get a 2018 Z06 / any knowledge of the issue is resolved with the 2018s.

any and all expertise is highly apreciate it. Thank you in advance !!!

Last edited by Dencoop; 07-25-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dencoop
Good Evenig To All,

I have been on these forums for the last few years off and on. Finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Brand New C7 Z06.

I am coming from cars such as Porsche 911, Ferrari Cali 30 and Cali T, Maseratti, Bentley, All ///M cars (current generation and some previous).

I decided that it was time to finally buy American and never look back, I got very excited that I was going to get so much performance for so little money in comparison to the European competition. The Bonus for me was that it's American Made !!!

In any case, I am hoping that I can get some valid help and input from you guys.....

I carefully broke in the car and did the 500 mile 1st oil change as recommended. Finally decided that I can open her up a little, I mean this car is advertised as a beast and I figured I can open it a bit on the NJ Parkway should be fine.

at around 90 degrees in traffic before I even had a chance to open her up I got a Check engine light out of the blue with a message that read "Reduced Power"

I called Onstar and they did a remote diagnostic and said that it was coming back as code P0033 and P0034

It was a real disappointment to say the least. I brought it into my local dealer 2 days ago and it is still there. I have never had these type of issues with all of my previous cars. Either I was lucky or the Z06 just had some real problems.

dont get me wrong my other cars had issues but never something that would reduce my driving joy which is the main purpose of purchasing a car such as this....

do you you guys have any experience with these codes? Should I sell the car and take the hit now so I don't have to go through months of headaches or do you guys think this is something minor that should be resolved with this dealer visit?

are there any known TSBs ?

should I get a 2018 Z06 / any knowledge of the issue is resolved with the 2018s.

any and all expertise is highly apreciate it. Thank you in advance !!!
P0033 - Supercharger bypass valve control circuit / open
P0034 - Supercharger bypass valve control circuit low

I don't have any experience with these codes, but that's what they bring up in HP Tuners..
Old 07-27-2017, 04:34 PM
RickHoppe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
P0033 - Supercharger bypass valve control circuit / open
P0034 - Supercharger bypass valve control circuit low

I don't have any experience with these codes, but that's what they bring up in HP Tuners..
Try this link ; https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-john-nelson
The following users liked this post:
djnice (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

This is addressed in the factory service manual with a 2.5 page diagnostic procedure to go with it. It isn't a major failure of the engine. It could be caused by a bad fuse, a broken or shorted wire, an ECM failure or a bypass valve failure. That is why all new cars come with a warranty. Failures like this are more likely to happen when the car is new with low mileage. Not sure why the dealer mechanic didn't fix it right away unless they have to wait for parts and told you to take the car home while they get the parts.

Bill
Old 08-01-2017, 12:04 AM
Dencoop
4th Gear

Update:

Car was at the dealer all week. I was called this morning to come and pick it up and that it was ready. I got so excited to finally drive the car again.

The service adviser tells me that they had to flush out the cooling system and reset it. In addition the car was road tested for 3 miles with no issues.

I drive out of the Service department and the check engine light goes right back on with the "reduce power" again.

Should be an emberasment for the service department to keep the car for 1 week and not have anything resolved.

Left the car at the service department again and am very upset to say the least.

This will be attempt #2 to fix the issue. I really love the car and at this point contamplating really strongly to sell the car for a 2018 MY Z06 or just give up on the car all together and just go back to a 911 or an ///M-car.

Would prefer to give the Z06 one more run but don't want to deal with issues again.

And hate being without a car for so long. Keeping fingers crossed that try 2 gets resolution.

Does not not seem promising at this point. Will keep you guys updated. If anyone has any suggestions please keep them coming.

thabk you !

Last edited by Dencoop; 08-01-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I am not sure I would trust this particular dealer if they really had the car for a full week and only flushed the cooling system. Also, you say you hate to be without a car. Didn't they give you a loaner? If they keep the car overnight the warranty includes providing a loaner car.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Dencoop
4th Gear

No, I never got any loaners....honestly did not even know that Chevy offers loaners.

should I take the car to a different dealer?

thanks again !
Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

No, I never got any loaners....honestly did not even know that Chevy offers loaners.

should I take the car to a different dealer?

thanks again !
Yep.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Yes, I would call them and ask what they are planning to do because you need the car tomorrow whether its fixed or not. Some dealers will just park the car in the yard and get to it a week later. Once you get the car back find a better dealer. Look up your warranty online and you will see they owe you a loaner car. Search the forum for you area or ask around to find a better dealer.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:11 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like you are being treated like a push over. Go to a different dealer or put some heat under the service rep. Tell them what you learned from the codes on here and make sure you get a loaner vehicle every time, that way, they have incentive to get your car back to you ASAP otherwise the rental fees add up and can be tough for the dealer to explain to GM over a simple repair.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Dencoop
4th Gear

Update:

the service rep txt me that the Service tech ordered something called the "Supercharger Solenoid". Have any of you had any experience with this part.

please keep your comments coming. Thanks again !
Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Update:

the service rep txt me that the Service tech ordered something called the "Supercharger Solenoid". Have any of you had any experience with this part.

please keep your comments coming. Thanks again !
That solenoid would be a reasonable suspect for the codes that were stored. It controls whether the supercharger is actively providing boost or in bypass mode. Solenoids can fail because of an open coil winding or they can mechanically stick in the extended or retracted position (or at an intermediate point in between).

There are other possible reasons for the DTCs set as Bill noted earlier but the solenoid is a very viable answer and hopefully the dealership actually found a fault with this part. Why they flushed the cooling system (either the supercharger aftercooler circuit or the main engine cooling system) makes no sense for the codes they pulled.

If possible in the future I would try a different dealer since your first experience wasn't acceptable. A decent dealer can make all of the difference. I have generally had good dealer experiences but both of my Cadillac dealer experiences (two different dealers) have been terrible. My 2008 CTS had a recall for the OnStar module and mine was a late 2008 model year production with Bluetooth capability but the first three times they replaced the module with the earlier non-BT version and each time claimed (and showed on the paperwork) that they had programmed and tested it for BT operation which is quite a feat of magic when the module didn't even support BT. My 2014 ATS was back 4 times in the first 500 miles to fix a simple emissions issue that resulted in a check engine light. Root cause was a broken vapor storage cannister and the CEL came from a failed purge valve (due to charcoal in the valve). They replaced two valves and then finally identified the broken cannister on the third visit where I also got a third valve but since they didn't properly flush the vacuum line between the valve and cannister trip number 4, valve number 4, and a new set of lines was necessary. A couple of trips would have been reasonable but 4 was just stupidity on the part of the service tech.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by djnice
I am not sure I would trust this particular dealer if they really had the car for a full week and only flushed the cooling system. Also, you say you hate to be without a car. Didn't they give you a loaner? If they keep the car overnight the warranty includes providing a loaner car.
That only works if the dealer has loaner cars. As for the warranty providing for loaner cars the only thing I see in the warranty papers is that courtesy transportation is included. That doesn't mean they will provide loaners. Most dealers do that by providing a courtesy ride in one of their vehicles to and from where ever you need to be while they are working on your car that day. I have only been offered a loaner once in 50 plus years of car ownership and it was an econobox 4 door sedan that had 120K miles on it and looked like it had been used in a demolition derby. I think the dealership wholesaled the car after I was done using it.

Bill
Old 08-02-2017, 01:51 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Update:

Car was at the dealer all week. I was called this morning to come and pick it up and that it was ready. I got so excited to finally drive the car again.

The service adviser tells me that they had to flush out the cooling system and reset it. In addition the car was road tested for 3 miles with no issues.

I drive out of the Service department and the check engine light goes right back on with the "reduce power" again.

Should be an emberasment for the service department to keep the car for 1 week and not have anything resolved.

Left the car at the service department again and am very upset to say the least.

This will be attempt #2 to fix the issue. I really love the car and at this point contamplating really strongly to sell the car for a 2018 MY Z06 or just give up on the car all together and just go back to a 911 or an ///M-car.

Would prefer to give the Z06 one more run but don't want to deal with issues again.

And hate being without a car for so long. Keeping fingers crossed that try 2 gets resolution.

Does not not seem promising at this point. Will keep you guys updated. If anyone has any suggestions please keep them coming.

thabk you !
Are you sure you have the code numbers correct? What does the repair order say the mechanic did to diagnosis the problem? Did they tell you the codes disappeared while they were working on the car and they didn't have a hard failure anymore? They may have flushed and refilled the charge cooling system not the engine cooling system. The codes may have disappeared and the mechanic shot gunned the problem by changing the charge coolant.

Bill
Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

I swear I have paper work that says a car is provided, but your right it might be dealer specific paper work.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 C7 Z06 7MT 900 miles Check Engine Light - Code P0033 and P034

Quick Reply: 2017 C7 Z06 7MT 900 miles Check Engine Light - Code P0033 and P034