C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know the heat resistance for OE pads for a 2017 Grand Sport 1LT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM
TurtleRayZ51
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does anyone know the heat resistance for OE pads for a 2017 Grand Sport 1LT.

Ok so I called Carbotech to talk to to a rep about their 1521 series brake pad which seems to to have a lot of satisfied drivers. Anyways upon talking with him he was able to tell me that the heat resistance for these pads is 800 degrees with minimal dust and are also quiet. He also suggested that our stock OE pads have a heat resistance of only 500 degrees. So I would like to ask does anyone know or know where to look so that we can see what the heat resistance is for our OE pads. If not, maybe where to contact so to inquire. Id be happy to do so and share it for others. I think it would be interesting to know for a fact what is the heat resistance of our OE pads. This way when you go to buy you a have an aspect to keep in mind and you can know if you are staying even or increasing capability.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Not really an issue for street driving. When you go to race pads the max operating temp goes way up and ranges between ~ 1300 and 1600 degrees depending on compound and manufacturer. However, if you are interested in the 1521 pads you definitely won't be interested in the race compounds since they will cover your wheels with pad and rotor dust within a mile or two and will squeal loud and painfully enough to wake the dead.

The stock pads could be 500 degrees or 800. It really doesn't matter.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-14-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by TurtleRayZ51
Ok so I called Carbotech to talk to to a rep about their 1521 series brake pad which seems to to have a lot of satisfied drivers. Anyways upon talking with him he was able to tell me that the heat resistance for these pads is 800 degrees with minimal dust and are also quiet. He also suggested that our stock OE pads have a heat resistance of only 500 degrees. So I would like to ask does anyone know or know where to look so that we can see what the heat resistance is for our OE pads. If not, maybe where to contact so to inquire. Id be happy to do so and share it for others. I think it would be interesting to know for a fact what is the heat resistance of our OE pads. This way when you go to buy you a have an aspect to keep in mind and you can know if you are staying even or increasing capability.
Are you going to be tracking the car?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 PM
1985airborne
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Titanium brake shims will help with heat transfer.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

...So I would like to ask does anyone know or know where to look so that we can see what the heat resistance is for our OE pads...
Not really!!! Here's a picture of the stock pads for a C7 Z06 or GS with cast iron rotors:

You can see "Ferodo HP1000/1" which is the compound used on the OE pads. I haven't been able to find any specs for that compound, however there's also an "FF" after the pad compound. Take a look at this post (and the whole thread) where we have discussed this in the past in the AutoX/Roadrace section of the forum. The "FF" indicates that fade is possible at 600°F:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595106406

The Carbotech 1521 has a max operating temp of 800°F (426°C).

Take a look at this Carbotech site with temp operating zones for their various compounds:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds2.asp

So....the OE pad max temp is not suitable for track use, and it probably has a lower operating temp range than the 1521 before you'll lose the brakes from pad fade. Even with a slightly higher max operating temp, the Carbotech website says: "Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use."

Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

My first day out, I overheated my brakes almost instantly. My buddy with a Z06 did the same in his with Stoptech pads.

I was in Sport 1 and he was in just basic track mode (didn't know about the others). I was very disappointed.

Once I switched over to Sport 2 and Race I didn't really have any problems, but I was still nervous. I'm a pretty decent driver at this track and the track is hell on brakes.

No chance I'd try it with cup2 tires or a Z06 btw.

So if you think you can handle the car in sport 2 (or race) and are on PSS tires, you should be okay. Kind of stupid to risk it though. My pads just didn't arrive in time.

Also, if you're on the street, factory pads are way more than adequate.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-18-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know the heat resistance for OE pads for a 2017 Grand Sport 1LT.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know the heat resistance for OE pads for a 2017 Grand Sport 1LT.