C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Skewed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM
RLara105
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HUD Skewed

I just purchased a 2017 Grand Sport about two weeks ago. I picked it up from Kerbeck Chevrolet in Atlantic City and drove it home to LA. During the trip home, the HUD looked like it was slanted slightly clockwise.

By this I mean, if the round tach. display is selected and let’s say the number 4 is considered top dead center, the #4 is skewed clockwise a bit to where it lines up at the 1:00 O’clock position. I’m writing this from work, but I’ll take a picture of what I’m describing when I get home and post it.

I looked up HUD on this forum and found a lot of horror stories of people having ghosting or double image problems, with the HUD display, and having to go through several windshield replacements until the dealer got it right. I don’t know if the issue I’m experiencing will require a similar resolution. I was thinking of just living with the skewed display. But it’s bothering me more and more the longer I drive the car. The HUD on my 2004 Z06 didn’t have that problem and I paid good money for my GS, so I thought I’d see about getting this fixed.

Has anybody else experienced the same skewed display? Was it easily resolvable by the dealer?
Old 09-23-2017, 03:42 PM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

The stories you've heard are correct. A friend of mine just went though this. The dealership replaced the windshield first. That did not fix the ghosting issue, so the HUD was replaced next which ended up being the culprit. Since yours is only orientation related, hopefully the position of the projector can be adjusted and that will be solve the issue. On the bright side it is covered by the warranty.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

It's not the windshield. The topic of a slanted slightly clockwise (not level) HUD has been discussed for years on this forum and there are many threads that cover this topic.

Except for a (very) few exceptions the HUD is actually NOT SLANTED it's an optical illusion because of the contouring of the hood. When I first got mine I thought it was not level too then I conducted a few tests which determined the HUD was ordinated correctly and it was level.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 09-23-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Congrats driving the new GS across the country. Same thing happened to me with the hud. I swear it changed from when I started my 3,000 mile trip to about 3/4 way through. My conclusion is it is normal like Maxie2U says, but take a photo and we'll comment if it seem extra titled. You know they added a hud tilt adjustment for 2018?

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Skewed

Quick Reply: HUD Skewed