C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lash Cap Talk/Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Its a combination. Either some installed it on the pump and not the lifter, or, as in the case of Higgs, his pump broke off the bolts and as a result of the pump coming loose the lash cap went MIA.

If the lash cap is installed properly, and measurements are taken to ensure you use the proper size, you won't have an issue.
Thanks buddy.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM
WS6JJP
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I wanted to bring this back up again. So obviously you want the HPFP to have some kind of preload as always talked about on here but exactly how much preload are we looking for? I seen mittens mention.030, is this a good amount?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:54 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WS6JJP
I wanted to bring this back up again. So obviously you want the HPFP to have some kind of preload as always talked about on here but exactly how much preload are we looking for? I seen mittens mention.030, is this a good amount?
proper preload depends on the application. It is best to ensure you have some preload when on base of circle, but not so much to the point that it bottoms out the shaft on the eccentric. This should always be measured for each and every build.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:04 PM
WS6JJP
Racer

proper preload depends on the application. It is best to ensure you have some preload when on base of circle, but not so much to the point that it bottoms out the shaft on the eccentric. This should always be measured for each and every build.
Thanks for the reply, right now I have .039” but I’m wondering if it should be more (as you said as long as it’s not bottoming out the pump). This is with a stock LT4 HPFP and an aftermarket cam with a 32% fuel lobe.

Last edited by WS6JJP; 02-08-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:32 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

From what I gather, in general, you need the lash cap on the LT1 pump, and don't need it on a LT4 pump. to make use of the larger fuel lobe.

but messure for sure.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 AM
WS6JJP
Racer

Yeah i definitely measured and the .039 preload is where it’s sitting now with an LS7 lash cap. I’m just wanting to know what the correct amount of preload is. I’ve heard .030 all the way to .060. Anyone know for sure?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by mittens
From what I gather, in general, you need the lash cap on the LT1 pump, and don't need it on a LT4 pump. to make use of the larger fuel lobe.

but messure for sure.
Thats not quite accurate. When I installed my cam with 32% lobe and LT4 HPFP a lash cap was -required- or I would have had zero preload.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:23 PM
WS6JJP
Racer

Thats not quite accurate. When I installed my cam with 32% lobe and LT4 HPFP a lash cap was -required- or I would have had zero preload.
Do you remember what your preload measurement amount was by any chance? I know you’re supposed to have some kind of preload on the pump but no one ever says exactly what amount is correct. It’s always check your preload but nothing specific.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 PM
16C7Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ordered a complete cam package from Aaron at BTR stage 2 with 38% lope, the kit didn't come with a cap so I called BTR they sent me an 8mm cap.

LT1

Last edited by 16C7Z51; 02-09-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WS6JJP
Do you remember what your preload measurement amount was by any chance? I know you’re supposed to have some kind of preload on the pump but no one ever says exactly what amount is correct. It’s always check your preload but nothing specific.
I do not. Im sure there is an “optimal” amount of preload, but im not sure that it will matter nearly as much having some preload vs not..
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 PM
WS6JJP
Racer

I do not. Im sure there is an “optimal” amount of preload, but im not sure that it will matter nearly as much having some preload vs not..
I got ya. I’ll keep looking / asking around. I’ll report back if I get an answer
Old 02-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 16C7Z51
I just ordered a complete cam package from Aaron at BTR stage 2 with 38% lope, the kit didn't come with a cap so I called BTR they sent me an 8mm cap.

LT1
That is interesting. I recently called BTR about a Gen V LT1 cam that has a 38% fuel lobe and he specifically stated it did not require a lash cap. I asked him about the lack of any preload and he stated several times "No lash cap is required". Confusing.....
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jaycajun
That is interesting. I recently called BTR about a Gen V LT1 cam that has a 38% fuel lobe and he specifically stated it did not require a lash cap. I asked him about the lack of any preload and he stated several times "No lash cap is required". Confusing.....
I think the multiple different stories confirms, they don’t really know

Ant
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

If you don’t use the lash cap, the extra lift fuel lobe will be of no benefit, as the the extra lift comes from a smaller base circle. I’ve brought this up several times here and elsewhere. Talk to the cam manufacturer, not the guy selling the parts. Better yet, talk to the guys building and tuning them

John
The following users liked this post:
16C7Z51 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
If you don’t use the lash cap, the extra lift fuel lobe will be of no benefit, as the the extra lift comes from a smaller base circle. I’ve brought this up several times here and elsewhere. Talk to the cam manufacturer, not the guy selling the parts. Better yet, talk to the guys building and tuning them

John
Exactly. This is exactly why I wrote the measurement guide for the forum. Everyone still questions me about it because such and such reseller said the lash cap isn’t necessary. Why? Cuz they sell parts. They have no effin idea.

Ant
Old 02-16-2018, 09:03 PM
16C7Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by JHEBERT

John
Exactly right. This is why I ordered the cap, oh and a 160 degree thermostat
Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 16C7Z51
Exactly right. This is why I ordered the cap, oh and a 160 degree thermostat
Good luck with that 160 Therm..

I installed one with my cam swap... and pulled it back out. Changed the fan seettings back as well. we tried every setting in HP tuners, and that does not address the issue.

on the C7 the dash changes as the car warms up... with the lower threm it never gets to the 175 mark normally.. which results in the Dash always showing you its not all the way warm, a lower red line, and the Shift lights happen WAY early....

was more annoying to me to have the dash all messed up then the 20 degrees in cooling.

I have a thread on the issue as well.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 AM
16C7Z51
Instructor

I installed one with my cam swap... and pulled it back out. Changed the fan seettings back as well. we tried every setting in HP tuners, and that does not address the issue.

on the C7 the dash changes as the car warms up... with the lower threm it never gets to the 175 mark normally.. which results in the Dash always showing you its not all the way warm, a lower red line, and the Shift lights happen WAY early....

was more annoying to me to have the dash all messed up then the 20 degrees in cooling.

Thanks for that information, Ill keep the stock thermostat in. We have the exact same cam kit, kooks headers set up. Can you inform me on anything else’s that may help with my install in a few weeks?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I can tune it without an issue. Who is tuning your car for the 160? I put a 160 in three of my personal C7s so far.

Quick Reply: Lash Cap Talk/Update