C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for new track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 PM
vicomel
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Recommendations for new track car

I am currently tracking a dedicated 2004 C5 base and my first track car was a track dedicated 2004 911. I do about 20 track days a year and my C5 is at the point where I need to do the engine/ brake/transmission/etc. upgrades or get something else. Therefore, I am thinking it may be time for a new track car. Many of my C7 Z06 track buddies are suggesting that I stay away from the C7 Z06 and go with the C7 Grand Sport due to engine issues and the high cost of the expendibles with the Z06. However, my very knowledgeable Corvette mechanic is suggesting that I stay away from the GS C7 because he says the C7 engine is still not sorted out for heavy track use. He is suggesting that I get a C6 GS. Saving $ by getting a C6 would be nice, but I am primarily looking for something that will hold up, not be too expensive to run and be the best bang for buck on the track. I am looking for recommendations.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I wouldn't say the C7 LT1 isn't sorted.

what is your budget?

Leaving the car stock?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Hi Vic. I don't know who is telling you to stay away from the C7 Z06 but I've had no engine issues with mine, nor do I know anyone in our circle that has had engine troubles with one. The car is an absolute beast on track. The consumable cost is high but that is largely a function of how hard you push the car. A C7 Z06 is going to use more fuel than a GS and might go through slightly more brakes due to the higher speeds but I think driver style will have a much bigger impact on this.

Feel free to drop me a note and thanks for the WGI track notes - sorry I never replied but I didn't see them until after I returned.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 11-09-2017 at 08:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:34 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 586 Likes on 517 Posts

Porsche!

-Josh
Old 11-09-2017, 08:46 PM
vicomel
Instructor

Default New track car

Sean, I will send you a PM tomorrow.

Yes, it will be left stock .I can get a 2017 GS with PDR , seats and 2LT for about $60-65k with GM incentives of 16% off and $3k for current corvette owners, while a 2013 GS can be had for about $35k. I am willing to spend the $ on a C7, but saving $25k would be fine as well. I am looking for something reliable, not too hard on the expendables and good bang for the buck. My last 2 track weekends were cut short due to transmission and shifter issues on my C5, so I am looking for something more dependable-the C5 has been great, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Hi Vic. I don't know who is telling you to stay away from the C7 Z06 but I've had no engine issues with mine, nor do I know anyone in our circle that has had engine troubles with one. The car is an absolute beast on track. The consumable cost is high but that is largely a function of how hard you push the car. A C7 Z06 is going to use more fuel than a GS and might go through slightly more brakes due to the higher speeds but I think driver style will have a much bigger impact on this.

Feel free to drop me a note and thanks for the WGI track notes - sorry I never replied but I didn't see them until after I returned.
How fast do you want to go? Fuel/tires/brakes. The cost of those is fairly proportional to the end result no matter what car you buy. Basic maintenance is another major consideration. Chevys cost less than pretty much every thing else at any performance level. Going fast is not always a factor in how much fun you have. I had a 1971 Lotus Europa. With inflation it is about the same price as a Z06. Not nearly as fast, but quicker/nimbler than anything else in its era in tight twisties. A lot of fun, and making the most of it was a joy. 2017 Z06 will kick that car in the *** and steal its lunch money. Technology progresses. 10 years from now the Z06 will be history. Get something you like, make yourself a better driver, keep the rubber side down, have fun. Good grief, the C7 comes with a warrantee that the Lotus never did.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Porsche!

-Josh

Bring it on!! I would be happy to go up against any road going Porsche at my home track. Drive it here and lets see. Costs for consumables-a wash. Cost for basic maintenance. You have to ask??
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 PM
vicomel
Instructor

Default New track car

Josh, I loved my 996 911 on the track, but things like having to drop the engine to change a PCV valve got annoying. My DD is a 997 911 TT, so I love Porsche's, but I am not willing to spend the $ on a GT3.

Yes, I agree that the important thing is to just have fun on the track and get whatever helps you do this. One of the best track days I ever had was when I rented a Miata. And yes, having a new car that would still be under warranty would be nice as well.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

The LT1 in the GS with drysump is amazing! Modded street cars are running around at 750 WHP. Leaving it stock at 400 WHP means they can actually last for track duty. Lap after lap, hour after hour, mine never skips a beat or loses power. And that's in Central Ca heat! That extra 200 HP/TQ eats up tires and brakes a much faster rate. If a few seconds a lap at a track day is worth near twice the cost in consumables, Z06 is your car. I was at Thunder Hill last month. The only Z06 overheated running at a much slower pace than me. They struggle in high heat areas like mine in Ca. So your local track temps might also be a influence.

Last edited by rb185afm; 11-09-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:10 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Keep your car and get a Ariel Atom. It will make you a better driver...
Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 AM
vicomel
Instructor

I have seen Ariel Atoms at VIR and they are great vehicles, but I am trying to avoid trailering the vehicle to the track.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:52 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by vicomel
I have seen Ariel Atoms at VIR and they are great vehicles, but I am trying to avoid trailering the vehicle to the track.
Actually, that too will make you a better driver. Anytime you have to drive the car home from the track, you will never be as fast as you could be. There’s always that last little bit that you aren’t willing to try because wadding the car up is not an option...lol

Back in the day when I was racing, if a guy asked me to drive his car, I’d ask about crashing? If I had to buy it if I crashed it, I was way more conservative. If the owner really wanted to know how fast it was, they’d say don’t worry about it. I’d be much more willing to approach and in some cases exceed the cars potential. (No I never really crashed one testing...lol) but a lot of guys were stunned that their car was 2 secs a lap faster than they were, with nothing but a different driver.

If I had unlimited funds I’d trailer an open wheel formula car to the track. I probably wouldn’t race it, but track days would be a blast. (Atlantic, maybe Indy light, or an older Indy car...)
Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Break a C7 and take it to your local Chevy dealer. Break something on an Atom and... A number of clubs won't let you run an Atom because it is open wheel. I've also heard the aero drag is an issue. I guess the good news is the motor is out of a Honda Civic.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:26 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

The first time an open wheel car wants to climb the tire of the car next to it, the full fenders on the C7 will look pretty good. That's a whole 'nother world.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM
vicomel
Instructor

Default New track car

Sean, I just tried to send you a PM from the CC site but it did not appear to go thru for some reason. I was thinking of getting the C7 GS until I spoke to Tony at Tony's Corvette yesterday. He suggested that I stay away from the C7 because they were having "issues" and he felt that GM could have done a better job with the car. I will get more details from him the next time I speak to him.

I have recently had 3 C7 Z06 owners (including Nick C) tell me I should get the GS rather than the Z06-of course there will be many more Z06 owners like yourself that will say the Z06 is the way to go. I did test drive the C7 Z06 and it did feel a bit like I was trying to tame a bucking bronco. I thought the GS was great, although it could use a bit more HP. The GS is still a big improvement over my 350 HP base C5. I am thinking I would be willing to give up a few seconds with the GS, if I did not need to spend as much time and $ on the expendibles.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 586 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by desmophile
Bring it on!! I would be happy to go up against any road going Porsche at my home track. Drive it here and lets see. Costs for consumables-a wash. Cost for basic maintenance. You have to ask??

Nope don't know. I'm a Vette owner not a Porsche owner.

I've driven both cars on the track. The GT3 is a monster.. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vette.

Josh, I loved my 996 911 on the track, but things like having to drop the engine to change a PCV valve got annoying. My DD is a 997 911 TT, so I love Porsche's, but I am not willing to spend the $ on a GT3.

Yes, I agree that the important thing is to just have fun on the track and get whatever helps you do this. One of the best track days I ever had was when I rented a Miata. And yes, having a new car that would still be under warranty would be nice as well.
Find a nice s2000 and turn it into a track monster.

-Josh
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Sean, I just tried to send you a PM from the CC site but it did not appear to go thru for some reason. I was thinking of getting the C7 GS until I spoke to Tony at Tony's Corvette yesterday. He suggested that I stay away from the C7 because they were having "issues" and he felt that GM could have done a better job with the car. I will get more details from him the next time I speak to him.

I have recently had 3 C7 Z06 owners (including Nick C) tell me I should get the GS rather than the Z06-of course there will be many more Z06 owners like yourself that will say the Z06 is the way to go. I did test drive the C7 Z06 and it did feel a bit like I was trying to tame a bucking bronco. I thought the GS was great, although it could use a bit more HP. The GS is still a big improvement over my 350 HP base C5. I am thinking I would be willing to give up a few seconds with the GS, if I did not need to spend as much time and $ on the expendibles.
Hey Vic. The CC site is gone - Gary closed it down. You can send me a PM here or e-mail me.

Nick has a GS not a Z06. I've never dealt with Tony but I suspect he's dealing more with the "let's mod to go fast in a straight line" crowd.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for new track car

Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I wonder if Tony just prefers working on older Corvettes. The only bad press I heard was first model year engine failures due do an oil filter issue (I think?) but that was fixed right away. Then the first year Z06's over heating on track. Otherwise the LT1 is going on its 5th model year with really no issues, I see tons of them at every track day with every one raving about the cars. I have a GS mostly because I don't think I have developed the skills to handle a Z06 and quite honestly 650 HP is more than I desire. I will also add that the C7 platform is a huge upgrade from the C6.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I should add that the C7 GS is a wonderful car on track as well. My points are basically that I think the C7 chassis is far better than the C6 and there is nothing wrong with the C7 Z06 as a track car unless you are running an auto or in 100+F temps.

Get the PDR and I'll help with the data analysis.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:14 PM
vicomel
Instructor

I think I will revert back to the C7 GS. Sean, I will take you up on figuring out the PDR data. This is definitely one of the options I will want to get.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for new track car