C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel recommendations for track wheel and tire setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Blwnc6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wheel recommendations for track wheel and tire setup

I have a 16 Z06 and i am looking for a track 18 inch set of wheels and tires. I have a extra set of factory z06 wheels with cup tires on them now that I have been using but I would like to try some 18s to see how they work. Also to save a little on buying tires for the 18s. Ones anyone have any experience with doing this?
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
archfarseer (02-27-2018)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Ray7374
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking for the same or possibly 19s ( not sure if 18s will fit over carbon brakes ).
Old 11-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

No problem fitting 18 inch wheels over Ceramic Brakes. I have a set of CCW wheels that I ran on my C6Z that I have been running on my C7Z06/Z07. They are 18x11 in the front and 18x13 in the rear. The 18x13s are just a little wide for both the C6Z and the C7Z. When the car is off the ground the 18x13 wheels will touch the rear upper control arm and can not be torqued tightly until the suspension is depressed a few inches. I run a .2 inch spacer between the wheel and the rear hub and don't have any problems with the wheels contacting anything while on track. They might hit if the car went airborne but I haven't driven on a track that has taken me airborne.

The front Ceramic rotors have a depressed area in the center of the rotor hat which the CCW wheel doesn't fit into properly. The CCW wheel hub face is slightly larger in diameter than the stock wheel (a few thousandths) so rides on the radiused edge of the depressed area which means it can't mount solidly to the rotor. CCW provides a special spacer that fills that depressed area and provides a flat surface for the CCW to mount against. This is true of the C6 Z06/Z07 and C6 ZR1 brakes as well. Certain Wilwood rotor hats have similar depressed areas and that is how I found out about the mismatch after I lost a front wheel off my C6Z at VIR two years ago.

I use Extended Thread lug nuts that I purchased from CCW (I think they are Gorilla's but am not sure since they come without any markings). The extended threads on the lug nuts go inside the lug holes in the wheels and provide an extra .3 inch of thread engagement.

If you purchase other brand wheels you have a good chance of not needing the front spacers. I know that people have purchased Forgelines and didn't need the front spacer with the ceramic brake.

The 18x11/18x13 wheel size was the hot setup on the C6Zs from the time they were first introduced. They permit you to run 315/30/18 front tires and 345/35/18 rear tires. The tire diameters are close to stock and do not screw up the electronic systems.

I have also run an 18x12 wheel in the rear since I started using the Pirelli PZero Slick scrub tires. They come in a 325/660/18 size and the 13 inch wheel is just a little too wide for the 325 tire. The combination will work and work well as I got a personal best lap time of 2:05.81 at the Glen this year but the tires look like a size 40 chest suit fitted onto a guy that has a size 44 chest. I dropped down to the 18x12 wheel and subsequently achieved a personal best lap time of 2:04:89 at VIR.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-11-2017 at 11:36 AM.
ilkSurfer (07-29-2018)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Ray7374
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
No problem fitting 18 inch wheels over Ceramic Brakes. I have a set of CCW wheels that I ran on my C6Z that I have been running on my C7Z06/Z07. They are 18x11 in the front and 18x13 in the rear. The 18x13s are just a little wide for both the C6Z and the C7Z. When the car is off the ground the 18x13 wheels will touch the rear upper control arm and can not be torqued tightly until the suspension is depressed a few inches. I run a .2 inch spacer between the wheel and the rear hub and don't have any problems with the wheels contacting anything while on track. They might hit if the car went airborne but I haven't driven on a track that has taken me airborne.

The front Ceramic rotors have a depressed area in the center of the rotor hat which the CCW wheel doesn't fit into properly. The CCW wheel hub face is slightly larger in diameter than the stock wheel (a few thousandths) so rides on the radiused edge of the depressed area which means it can't mount solidly to the rotor. CCW provides a special spacer that fills that depressed area and provides a flat surface for the CCW to mount against. This is true of the C6 Z06/Z07 and C6 ZR1 brakes as well. Certain Wilwood rotor hats have similar depressed areas and that is how I found out about the mismatch after I lost a front wheel off my C6Z at VIR two years ago.

I use Extended Thread lug nuts that I purchased from CCW (I think they are Gorilla's but am not sure since they come without any markings). The extended threads on the lug nuts go inside the lug holes in the wheels and provide an extra .3 inch of thread engagement.

If you purchase other brand wheels you have a good chance of not needing the front spacers. I know that people have purchased Forgelines and didn't need the front spacer with the ceramic brake.

The 18x11/18x13 wheel size was the hot setup on the C6Zs from the time they were first introduced. They permit you to run 315/30/18 front tires and 345/35/18 rear tires. The tire diameters are close to stock and do not screw up the electronic systems.

I have also run an 18x12 wheel in the rear since I started using the Pirelli PZero Slick scrub tires. They come in a 325/660/18 size and the 13 inch wheel is just a little too wide for the 325 tire. The combination will work and work well as I got a personal best lap time of 2:05.81 at the Glen this year but the tires look like a size 40 chest suit fitted onto a guy that has a size 44 chest. I dropped down to the 18x12 wheel and subsequently achieved a personal best lap time of 2:04:89 at VIR.

Bill
Wow thank you for the great info,, just so I'm clear what are your offsets 40/59 ?
Have you used Hoosiers and have any opinion compared to the pirielli?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Blwnc6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the information. It was great.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:06 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Track tires

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Thanks Bill!!!
I have another thread going on this topic and your information is great addition. I have some Pirelli P Zero 305/315/325-18 scrubs in my garage now, saving up money to get some Forgelines to put them on for next season and others have confirmed they fit over the CCBs I have.
Question: I also thought about trying some Hoosier 315/345-18 R7s. Online info says the 345 tire should work on a 12" rim. Do you have a suggestion there? Forgeline also has a 12.5" rim size, would that work with the Pirelli 325?

I am trying to get by with just 4 new wheels, not 6. Those things are not cheap.

thanks, paul
Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray7374
Wow thank you for the great info,, just so I'm clear what are your offsets 40/59 ?
Have you used Hoosiers and have any opinion compared to the pirielli?
No idea of the offsets. I purchased the wheels used from a guy who ran them on a C6 ZR1. He purchased them used from Phoenix Racing. If you call CCW and tell them what car you are running they will tell you what wheels fit.

I have used Hoosier A7s and R7s along with the Pirelli's. I think they are all pretty much comparable in performance to the Micheline PS Cup2s. I purchased one set of used Pirelli's this year and ran them for 8 days and put close to a thousand track miles on them. 500 at the Glen and 500 at VIR. I have run new and used Hoosiers for quite a few days as well. One new set of R7s went through 8 track days before they started losing grip and one of the front tires wore out on the edge. The Cup2s run fast but don't last as long. I got about 2.5 days out of a set of Cup2s before one of the rear tires delaminated.

If you do a lot of track days the used DOTR Hoosiers and/or Pirelli P Zero slicks are really cost effective compared to the Cup tires.

Bill
Old 11-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Blwnc6
I have a 16 Z06 and i am looking for a track 18 inch set of wheels and tires. I have a extra set of factory z06 wheels with cup tires on them now that I have been using but I would like to try some 18s to see how they work. Also to save a little on buying tires for the 18s. Ones anyone have any experience with doing this?
Thanks
Originally Posted by Ray7374
I'm looking for the same or possibly 19s ( not sure if 18s will fit over carbon brakes ).
Hey fellas! I've done a TON of 18x11 and 18x13" Forgelines for track racing and can even send with TPMS and Hoosier 315/345s or R888R's etc. Black Friday is next weekend too and we're raffling off an LT4 Whipple Supercharger as the grand prize, so it's a GREAT time to be buying

Old 11-15-2017, 09:50 PM
SCOTT280@CENTURYLINK
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I run 19' Forgeline Ga1R front and back.
Hoosier R7s 295 front, 345 rear.
Love them, perfect fit
Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I bought CCW TS12’s. 18”X11” with 315/30/18 up front, and 18”X13” with 345/35/18 in the rear. I’m running R7 slicks. Love them!
Attached Images    
nicktenn (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 AM
nicktenn
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I bought CCW TS12’s. 18”X11” with 315/30/18 up front, and 18”X13” with 345/35/18 in the rear. I’m running R7 slicks. Love them!
These look amazing. I love the blue. I think I will do close to the same setup for the track.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Floridamark
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nicktenn
These look amazing. I love the blue. I think I will do close to the same setup for the track.
I went with these and H7's.

18/11 and 18x12.5. Knurled so the tire spins less on the rim.

https://www.signaturewheel.com/product-page/sv501

Last edited by Floridamark; 02-25-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:01 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Guys we have a special on all Track Sets from Forgeline, call or Text 440-915-6166.

All our track sets are Track and Load rated for usage. Please note alot of other manufacturers are selling cheap wheels and guys are using them on track but due to the stresses tracking puts on the car and wheels its imperative that load rated track wheels be utilized. For the occassional lap it wont matter but for those guys pushing it hard there are not many manufacturers out there that have Track Rated wheels and its a reason we sell Forgeline for all our Z06s on the track.

PLEASE NOTE IF THEY ARE TRULY TRACK RATED AND APPROVED THERE WILL BE A LOAD RATING STAMPED ON THE WHEELS, MAKE SURE YOUR RACING WHEELS HAVE A LOAD RATING STAMPED, IF NOT THEN THEY ARE NOT RATED FOR TRACK USAGE!!

And YES if you want Knurled Wheels we have that option as well. I cannot Stress again the importance of the correct wheels on Track, I as well as everyone want to save money and not spend alot for Track Wheels but I can assure you the cheaper options out there from third party Manufacturers do not hold up to the Tolerances needed for track and only a matter of time before issues occur.

WELD, CCW, FORGELINE,HRE, yes all make great track wheels just make sure before you see a cool wheel that seems thousands less and is so called forged made for Track that it is indeed rated for such usage, I see lots of Forum Members using wheels that are not made for the track to save a dollar and it worries us. We dont carry every track wheel for the Vette but any wheel we sell for Track Usage is FULLY WARRANTIED ON TRACK

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Last edited by CW4L; 02-25-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel recommendations for track wheel and tire setup

Quick Reply: Wheel recommendations for track wheel and tire setup