C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger detection bladder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts
Default Passenger detection bladder?

Is there some sort of a bladder

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 12-10-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

There is a passenger presence sensor in the seat bottom. It is calibrated for a weight above 70 pounds or thereabouts so the air bag doesn't arm if a child is sitting in the seat. It has to be rezeroed if the sensor is replaced or removed and reinstalled. From what the factory service manual indicates the sensor and heater are part of the passenger seat cushion pad. I don't see any diagrams showing the sensor or where it is placed in the pad.

Bill
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I agree with Bill - the sensor is part of the passenger seat cushion pad.

Below are a several pages out of my 2016 Service Manual.

Here's info about replacing the "front" seat cushion cover and pad - I couldn't find info about the "back" seat!!

In there you can see it says:

3. When replacing the front passenger seat cushion, you must also replace the inflatable restraint passenger presence system. Refer to Airbag Front Passenger Presence Module Replacement on page 13-190

And below is that page 13-190 that shows the sensor itself. They show the sensor, but on this page it says:

2. The passenger presence system is an integral part of the pad on the passenger seat cushion.

So...If that sensor is part of the cushion, I'm not sure how you get to those two screws/bolts that appear to hold the sensor to the frame of the seat. I guess there are a couple holes in the cushion to get a tool on the head of those retainers in order to tighten or remove them.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 11-16-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 11-16-2017, 04:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! They called them "retainers" and I didn't know what they actually were.

Is the sensor attached to the cushion? They say it's an integral part of the cushion, so it must be inside or attached to the cushion - is that correct?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting!! They make it sound like its part of the cushion - but it's not.

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

It's an actual liquid filled device with a pressure sensor?

Well, there's an opportunity for a clever young person to invent something way easier to make that does the same job for a lot less. Put a strain IC on the leg of the seat or something! Got to be a better, cheaper, and just as accurate way.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:48 AM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

My bet this is the cheapest way available. GM would not take a more expensive route to do anything. I think we all know that.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:56 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by falconhulk
My bet this is the cheapest way available. GM would not take a more expensive route to do anything. I think we all know that.
Time to close the patent office, everything that can be invented has already been invented?
Old 06-02-2023, 02:57 PM
C6_Prodigy
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I agree with Bill - the sensor is part of the passenger seat cushion pad.

Below are a several pages out of my 2016 Service Manual.

Here's info about replacing the "front" seat cushion cover and pad - I couldn't find info about the "back" seat!!

In there you can see it says:

And below is that page 13-190 that shows the sensor itself. They show the sensor, but on this page it says:

So...If that sensor is part of the cushion, I'm not sure how you get to those two screws/bolts that appear to hold the sensor to the frame of the seat. I guess there are a couple holes in the cushion to get a tool on the head of those retainers in order to tighten or remove them.

Bob
I know this is an old thread, but could you post a picture of page 14-71? I am having the hardest time getting the lower seat cushion off. They seem to really be pinched in somehow around where the seatbelt attaches. I've loosened the rest of the leather, the white draw string, the clips along the back, the plastic panel on the side is off, and all of the velro but the leather on the sides sides just will not loosen at all. I can't see in there but I must be missing some J-channel retainers or hog clips or something. Trying to get into the seat bottom so I can slip a passenger occupancy sensor for a C6 in there.

Thanks.

Last edited by C6_Prodigy; 06-02-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger detection bladder?

Quick Reply: Passenger detection bladder?