2017 Grand Sport Clicking - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Grand Sport Clicking

Old 05-08-2018, 11:48 PM
  #21  
TumblingPanda
CF Member
 
TumblingPanda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Mountain View California
Posts: 55
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

If I remember correctly, my '18 GS did that since it was pretty much new. I did nothing about it for about 1800 miles. Couple of days back, I had to remove the wheels to bleed the brakes. After bleeding, just put the wheels back on (no cleaning of mating surface ) and torqued the lug nuts to 100 ft-lb. The clicking is completely gone. It has been about 150 miles since then and the clicking hasn't returned.
TumblingPanda is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 10:24 AM
  #22  
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!
 
JerryU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,737
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dado5 View Post
My 18GS does this when turning left or right . Font wheels clicking , sounds like there are nails in tires and making clicking noise. Car has 1300 miles.
FWIW, had a clicking sound only at low speed in a full lock right turn. Very familiar with "tire hop" or "chatter" when it's cold. This was not that at all. One click per revolution and only on right full lock turn.

Looked for something interfering and sure enough, the plastic brake ducts and brake cooling air defector in the GS wheel came very close to a wheel weight on the very inner edge. Trimmed the plastic a small amount a few times. Mostly gone but still slight noise until recently, when it stopped.

Just changed oil at 1 year and had the car jacked up. Sure enough that wheel weight was warn away on the very outer edge! Whatever was hitting slightly wore it away and/or it wore as well! Not much clearance around those front GS tires, inner wheel wells, plastic air dusts etc! The air deflector goes into the wheel. I had checked the wheel clearance with the car jacked but then the wheel hangs down. Had not tried to jack it up under the "A" frame with the wheel at full right lock. Not much room to get a jack in that space. The sound is gone now!

Definitely would try the GM solution of removing the wheel and cleaning the interface surfaces. Torque in 3 steps. I did that initially but no help. Now that I have confirmed it is something hitting that wheel weight can understand it had nothing to do with the wheel contact.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-09-2018 at 10:41 AM.
JerryU is online now  
Old 05-12-2018, 02:46 PM
  #23  
TumblingPanda
CF Member
 
TumblingPanda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Mountain View California
Posts: 55
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TumblingPanda View Post
If I remember correctly, my '18 GS did that since it was pretty much new. I did nothing about it for about 1800 miles. Couple of days back, I had to remove the wheels to bleed the brakes. After bleeding, just put the wheels back on (no cleaning of mating surface ) and torqued the lug nuts to 100 ft-lb. The clicking is completely gone. It has been about 150 miles since then and the clicking hasn't returned.
And....its back after about 450 miles. It isn't as bad as it initially was though!
TumblingPanda is offline  
Old 05-12-2018, 02:51 PM
  #24  
TumblingPanda
CF Member
 
TumblingPanda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Mountain View California
Posts: 55
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
That's probably Ackermann.
One way to differentiate tire chatter/hop with the clicking noise is that you can physically feel the car vibrate/jerk in case of tire chatter/hop. But for the clicking noise, you just hear snapping metallic noise without any vibration/jerk that you can feel.
TumblingPanda is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:17 AM
  #25  
djnice
CF Senior Member
 
djnice's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 2,456
Thanked 400 Times in 351 Posts
Default

When its cold I get wheel hop. When hot I get the clicking.
djnice is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 08:25 PM
  #26  
TumblingPanda
CF Member
 
TumblingPanda's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Mountain View California
Posts: 55
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Over the last two months, I've had to take out the wheels a number of times. The clicking disappears for a few days after every time I attach the wheels and torque them down. This is the case with stock wheels as well as aftermarket wheels. The clicking gradually comes back and it is annoying as hell!
TumblingPanda is offline  
Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 AM
  #27  
SLINGER
Junior Member
 
SLINGER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Birmingham MI
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TumblingPanda View Post
Over the last two months, I've had to take out the wheels a number of times. The clicking disappears for a few days after every time I attach the wheels and torque them down. This is the case with stock wheels as well as aftermarket wheels. The clicking gradually comes back and it is annoying as hell!
I have brand new 2018 GS and clicking on front driver tire when turning right. Dealer checked out the wheel and torqued it, couldn't find anything wrong. still clicking.
SLINGER is offline  
Old 06-07-2018, 11:09 AM
  #28  
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!
 
JerryU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,737
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SLINGER View Post
I have brand new 2018 GS and clicking on front driver tire when turning right. Dealer checked out the wheel and torqued it, couldn't find anything wrong. still clicking.
My year old GS clicks once per revolution on a slow full lock right turn! It's hardly noticeable now and have identified it's "something" hitting a wheel weight on the far inside edge of the wheel.

It was loud initially but when I just changed oil could see that wheel weight is warn on the top outer edge ~1/8 inch! Initially had trimmed the air duct and diverter plastic that are in that area. That helped but something still is hitting that wheel weight. It is one very small click per wheel revolution. Either the plastic or weight will wear enough to fully stop!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-07-2018 at 11:11 AM.
JerryU is online now  
Old 11-16-2018, 07:50 PM
  #29  
Donatella
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 48
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ray7374 View Post
Mine is a very rhythmic ( as though it were one click per revolution) that sounds like its coming from the back.Someone brought it to my attention when I was pulling through the pits after driving on track. I noticed it when a friend was driving my car on a go kart/autocross track. I was standing on the side of the track and every time he drove around a right or left turn it sounded like a rock in the tire but louder .
Not to beat a dead horse, but my GS developed this click in the left front wheel and you can hear it very clearly when you take the wheel off and spin the rotor. Would this be the same issue, it making the noise without the wheel even being on the car ?
Donatella is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 PM
  #30  
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!
 
JerryU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,737
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but my GS developed this click in the left front wheel and you can hear it very clearly when you take the wheel off and spin the rotor. Would this be the same issue, it making the noise without the wheel even being on the car ?
Hmm, if you can't see anything hitting the rotor as it's turning that is definitely different that what I described!

Also without a load on the wheel it is somewhat unusual to hear a bearing but that sounds like what it could well be! There are inner and outer bearings. Sounds like you need a trip to the dealer.
JerryU is online now  
Old 11-19-2018, 12:49 AM
  #31  
MMD
CF Senior Member
 
MMD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,242
Thanked 193 Times in 146 Posts
Default

I didn't not hear a clicking noise. I heard wind noise, gear shifting, some trans noise from gears, exhaust, but no clicking.
MMD is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 03:05 AM
  #32  
ErnieD
CF Senior Member
 
ErnieD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Lincoln CA
Posts: 771
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but my GS developed this click in the left front wheel and you can hear it very clearly when you take the wheel off and spin the rotor. Would this be the same issue, it making the noise without the wheel even being on the car ?
My 2016 Z06 does the same thing, left front as well. Cleaning the wheel/rotor-hat mating surfaces did not stop the clicking. I can hear the noise with the wheel off and while turning the rotor by hand just as you describe. The clicking is much more rapid than once per revolution and I think it's related to the pads passing over the slots in the rotor. Slightly backing the pads off of the rotor (using a screwdriver to push the pads back and compress the pistons slightly) stopped the noise when the rotor was turned by hand. I "dressed" the edges of the pad's friction material with sandpaper, relubed the edges and back of the pad's backing plate, and reinstalled everything -- no fix; noise is there as before. Why only on certain wheels and cars? ...I have no idea.

Ernie
ErnieD is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 08:57 AM
  #33  
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!
 
JerryU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,737
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
My 2016 Z06 does the same thing, left front as well. Cleaning the wheel/rotor-hat mating surfaces did not stop the clicking. I can hear the noise with the wheel off and while turning the rotor by hand just as you describe. The clicking is much more rapid than once per revolution and I think it's related to the pads passing over the slots in the rotor. Slightly backing the pads off of the rotor (using a screwdriver to push the pads back and compress the pistons slightly) stopped the noise when the rotor was turned by hand. I "dressed" the edges of the pad's friction material with sandpaper, relubed the edges and back of the pad's backing plate, and reinstalled everything -- no fix; noise is there as before. Why only on certain wheels and cars? ...I have no idea.

Ernie
Very interesting, thanks for the detail.

Wonder if it could be some pad build-up on parts of the rotor? Reminded of the squeal I had with the OEM pads on my 2014 Z51. Bedded the pads as per the owner’s manual for tracking using 5 or 6 agreesive stops from 60 mph to 15 NOT the 25 the Owner’s Manual states are needed if you are going to track. Squealing stopped. (Note put Carbotech 1521 Pads on my 2014 and now on my GrandSport to reduce dusting, which they do about 85%, and have never heard a squeal or any noise with them.

Recently read that with hi-performace pads you you need to use the brakes very agressivly periodically to keep pad material on the rotors uniform. Also the square “O” rings on the brake pistons are supposed to pull the pads back everso slighly so they should not contact the rotor.. That pad layer on the rotors is (supposed to be) very thin.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-19-2018 at 09:01 AM.
JerryU is online now  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM
  #34  
olblue75
CF Senior Member
 
olblue75's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Posts: 355
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

My 17 GS has te click really hear it on left turns going through a guard shack.
olblue75 is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 10:22 PM
  #35  
Donatella
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 48
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to hear it's just more of an annoyance than anything serious since this is my track car. I'm do to have the rotors changed the next time I have my pads replaced, It will be interesting to see if the noise stops. I'll keep you posted....
Donatella is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 12:50 AM
  #36  
ErnieD
CF Senior Member
 
ErnieD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Lincoln CA
Posts: 771
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by JerryU View Post

Very interesting, thanks for the detail.

Wonder if it could be some pad build-up on parts of the rotor? Reminded of the squeal I had with the OEM pads on my 2014 Z51. Bedded the pads as per the owner’s manual for tracking using 5 or 6 agreesive stops from 60 mph to 15 NOT the 25 the Owner’s Manual states are needed if you are going to track. Squealing stopped. (Note put Carbotech 1521 Pads on my 2014 and now on my GrandSport to reduce dusting, which they do about 85%, and have never heard a squeal or any noise with them.

Recently read that with hi-performace pads you you need to use the brakes very agressively periodically to keep pad material on the rotors uniform. Also the square “O” rings on the brake pistons are supposed to pull the pads back everso slighly so they should not contact the rotor.. That pad layer on the rotors is (supposed to be) very thin.
Forgot to mention that I changed to the Power Stop Z26 pads nearly 30,000 miles ago. Have tried re-bedding the pads with a few hard stops on several occasions, but the noise persists. Perhaps it's caused by slight warping in the rotor surface -- no pulsation noticed, though.

Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to hear it's just more of an annoyance than anything serious since this is my track car. I'm do to have the rotors changed the next time I have my pads replaced, It will be interesting to see if the noise stops. I'll keep you posted....
Please do report back after your rotor change. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

Ernie
ErnieD is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM
  #37  
Donatella
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 48
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Just and update. Had the car out on the track last weekend and just as suddenly as the clicking started it disappeared after my first session. I think the problem was pretty much as everybody said, dirt build up on the rotor. After some good hard braking it was gone. Since the car sees a lot of track duty you would think it wouldn't get any dirt build up but I guess doesn't matter.
Donatella is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 AM
  #38  
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!
 
JerryU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,737
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Donatella View Post
Just and update. Had the car out on the track last weekend and just as suddenly as the clicking started it disappeared after my first session. I think the problem was pretty much as everybody said, dirt build up on the rotor. After some good hard braking it was gone. Since the car sees a lot of track duty you would think it wouldn't get any dirt build up but I guess doesn't matter.
The buildup I referred to is what you accomplish with bedding, It's a uniform layer of pad material on the rotor. It's when the coating is not uniform that pulsing and/or noise can occur. Had not heard it referred to as an audible click.

One article mentioned with racing type pads that it was important to periodically use the brakes aggressively to maintain that uniform layer. FWIW
JerryU is online now  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport Clicking


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: