Overheating issue, any ideas? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating issue, any ideas?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:05 PM
LTDAN2011

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
Ok, so your fans were running. Ok, I can buy a clogged radiator or t-stat issue. My fans were dead, nada, zilch, nuttin'. Restart the car and the fans spin up to max to get the car cool.

Sounds like a different issue.

Elmer
Thanks for the info guys!
I just don't see a clogged radiator on a car with only 17K on it....but always possible I guess...

At least I now know how to onitially deal with it if/when it happens again.

Apparently GM has never acknowledged or addressed the issue?? Recall??

Danny
Old 11-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Update... zero issues since adding the Z06 fan assembly with new control module. Driven 3-4K miles since.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Cruelkix

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
Update... zero issues since adding the Z06 fan assembly with new control module. Driven 3-4K miles since.
Thanks for the part number and information. When I searched the part number I was able to find the Performance Radiator fan here: Link

When you say new control module, does that mean you had another part replaced or is it included in the fan assembly in the link? Do I need to buy anything else?

Just happened to my brother yesterday in his 2014 ...... Car overheated after a 30 min highway drive and then stop and go at the chik-fil-a drive through. It did the weak battery thing too where it wouldn't restart. He left it overnight and it started up fine this morning.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

No... the fan control module is part of the fan assembly. It's in the end of the wiring harness... it's the plug.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:03 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I just wasted my time and money. I went to the dealer and had them check the cooling fan and controls. Nada, Zip, Zilch! Everything tested out perfect. I can buy the part for $320 and do it myself but damn, that's why I have the extended warranty.

This is a PITA to get covered by the warranty. There's no friggen way I can get the car to the dealer while its having the fan snit and not do damage to the engine.

ELmer
Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

I just wasted my time and money. I went to the dealer and had them check the cooling fan and controls. Nada, Zip, Zilch! Everything tested out perfect. I can buy the part for $320 and do it myself but damn, that's why I have the extended warranty.

This is a PITA to get covered by the warranty. There's no friggen way I can get the car to the dealer while its having the fan snit and not do damage to the engine.

ELmer
As I said, on the Hot Rod Power Tour a team of factory GM techs were there and put my car and another gentleman's 2014 with the same issue through all the tests with the Tech II. Both cars passed fine, but come off the highway and the fan won't turn on. Never get on highway.... works fine.

Just pony up and buy the newer fan assembly and enjoy the car.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Well, I just looked into my Helms and to replace the fan is an electrical connector and 2 bolts, IN /OUT. Have to remove the 4 bolts to get the air intake shroud off, remove the air intake from the TB and Filter and you have full access to the fan. The coolant hose is attached to the fan shroud but it is connected with 2 push pin type of attachments so they'll pop off.

Screw this whole thing. I just ordered the part and I'll do it myself in my garage. I might even take pictures of the project for the timid of heart who are afraid to remove a screw here or there. IT really looks easy, might eat those words but what the helll

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 12-04-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Well, I just looked into my Helms and to replace the fan is an electrical connector and 2 bolts, IN /OUT. Have to remove the 4 bolts to get the air intake shroud off, remove the air intake from the TB and Filter and you have full access to the fan. The coolant hose is attached to the fan shroud but it is connected with 2 push pin type of attachments so they'll pop off.

Screw this whole thing. I just ordered the part and I'll do it myself in my garage. I might even take pictures of the project for the timid of heart who are afraid to remove a screw here or there. IT really looks easy, might eat those words but what the helll

Elmer
It's easy... but you're replacing the entire fan assembly with shroud. You remove the duct to the hood vent, the air intake tube, and the coolant hose support. Then you unplug the connector (has a red tamper proof safety lock tab) and take the entire fan assembly out. Then reverse.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:10 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

It's easy... but you're replacing the entire fan assembly with shroud. You remove the duct to the hood vent, the air intake tube, and the coolant hose support. Then you unplug the connector (has a red tamper proof safety lock tab) and take the entire fan assembly out. Then reverse.

That's what I thought I said? Oh well, I got beer in the fridge and I'm retired so there's no time constraint. Just git 'er done.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 12-04-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

That's what I thought I said? Oh well, I got beer in the fridge and I'm retired so there's no time constraint. Just git 'er done.

Elmer
Sorry... I read it as you thinking you had to swap the fan and fan motor assembly over. It's easy... just one part.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:17 PM
ersatz928
CF Senior Member

I would like to do an electrical "autopsy" of your bad fan motor/module. If possible, can you remove the fan motor from the shroud (so it is easier to ship), and ship it to me? Send me a Private Message if you want to do this, I will pay for shipping.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:47 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ersatz928 View Post
I would like to do an electrical "autopsy" of your bad fan motor/module. If possible, can you remove the fan motor from the shroud (so it is easier to ship), and ship it to me? Send me a Private Message if you want to do this, I will pay for shipping.

Joo want my freaky fan/controller? Joo got it! We can work this out. It would be great to find a "fault" that can be pointed at to get this issue covered by GM or warranty.

Elmer
Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

SDPC notified Fedex to come and get it! Those folks are on the ball!

Elmer
Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Cruelkix

No... the fan control module is part of the fan assembly. It's in the end of the wiring harness... it's the plug.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll have him order it. Sounds like an easy fix, although not super inexpensive. I think it will be a good mod regardless. More cooling is always a plus. Even though he drives like a grandpa in it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating issue, any ideas?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: