Overheating issue, any ideas? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating issue, any ideas?

Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM
chrisbell

Default Overheating issue, any ideas?

I have a 2014 Z51 and have an intermittent overheating issue that only occurs during certain circumstances, but I can repeat the issue.

Driving around in traffic is not a problem. The problem occurs on longer distance drives. If I start my drive on the freeway at high speed and drive about 30 miles (the car will probably be around 190-195 F), and then get into stop and go traffic, the fans will not turn on and the car will overheat. A simple restart of the car will kick the fans back on.

It only happens after high-speed (60+MPH) driving for an extended period of time (20+ mins) and then getting into bumper-to-bumper traffic right after (<10 MPH).

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Clearly the computer is not telling the fans to turn back on after the temps start getting past 200?
Old 12-28-2017, 04:00 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I swear that I had the same damn issue a few weeks ago on my 2014. Driving on Interstate, 10 miles or so, hit a major traffic jam and started creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic and the damn temp gauge rolled up almost into the red bar. Pulled over, stopped the engine waited 2 or 3 minutes, restarted the engine and the temp needle plummeted down to 200 in the blink of an eye. My fans were screaming as the temp fell.

Sounds the same, huh?

Elmer
Old 12-28-2017, 04:05 PM
chrisbell

Yep, same exact issue! It happened randomly about a year ago and didn't do it again for about 9 months and has happened rather regularly since.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 PM
TR_C7

Not sure if this is the issue but I had an over heating problem. Later on my c7 overheated and released the coolant from the bypass valve. Turned out to be the coolant reservoir cap. After that it kept leaking coolant from a hole in the radiator, which was then replaced by the dealer. Since then I haven't had a single issue with overheating.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Coolant levels are full. No loss of coolant. If there were, then the overheating would happen most if not all of the time.

Elmer
Old 12-28-2017, 05:02 PM
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like some kind of weird programming glitch with the ECM control of the fan. There have been several reports since early on in the C7 generation of oddball random overheating events when either stationary or in very slow traffic.

Since the OP has found a way to trigger the behavior consistently maybe GM will get to the bottom of this problem.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:59 PM
WilliamCall
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrisbell View Post
Yep, same exact issue! It happened randomly about a year ago and didn't do it again for about 9 months and has happened rather regularly since.
Sounds like you guys have narrowed it down to the cooling fans coming on (or not). Does this happen when the a/c is on? Just a suggestion to better trouble shoot this.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:36 PM
chrisbell

Originally Posted by WilliamCall View Post
Sounds like you guys have narrowed it down to the cooling fans coming on (or not). Does this happen when the a/c is on? Just a suggestion to better trouble shoot this.
Yes it happens regardless of the A/C being on or off.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

I'm pretty sure the AC was on as I'm in Florida. No cooling fans were heard until the car was shut off and restarted. It sounds like it doesn't matter.

I started a thread but it happened to me right after I updated the NAV map.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-to-260-a.html

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 12-28-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 PM
ersatz928
CF Senior Member

Someone else just had this issue, turns out the electric radiator fan motor was intermittent.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596087379

Last edited by ersatz928; 01-01-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Greenkirby21
CF Senior Member

please let me know if you find a fix! i have a 2014 model and my daily work commute is as you have described so it has happened about 8 times. this only started happening the past year or so. Took it to the dealer 5 times but they never fixed anything because they could never find anything wrong. Contacted GM but never got anything back :/

Btw, the temporary fix is to turn off the car and turn it back on, it will turn the fans back on and lower the temp.

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 01-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Well, I agree on the temporary fix. Problem is, I can't drive the damn thing to the dealer with the temp in the red, well, I guess I could but I'm not sure if the engine would like that.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Greenkirby21
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
Well, I agree on the temporary fix. Problem is, I can't drive the damn thing to the dealer with the temp in the red, well, I guess I could but I'm not sure if the engine would like that.
totally agree, and i keep using the argument with the dealership. whenever it does happen, we are talking about seconds or a minute or so before it reaches red - no time to make it to the dealership at all. i took a video of it when it did happen, show the fan is off, but nothing came out of it. They had my car for about a week trying to replicate it but couldn’t and sent me home
Old 01-03-2018, 12:45 PM
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 920 Posts

Wouldn't having the AC on force once of the fans on and solve it ir at least reduce it? I don't understand why having the AC on doesn't change it???

Last edited by DAVE396LT1; 01-03-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
Wouldn't having the AC on force once of the fans on and solve it ir at least reduce it? I don't understand why having the AC on doesn't change it???
The AC or temperature is on AUTO when this happens. How do I tell the car it is hot, turn on the fans, when it is supposed to do that all by itself.

Elmer
Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 PM
stevebz06
CF Senior Member

Maybe the fan relays are causing the problem? You might be able to test this theory using jumper wires to turn the fans on. Or maybe their is an intermittent ground.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:24 PM
ersatz928
CF Senior Member

There are no fan relays. The PCM sends a control signal to the fan control module, which then applies 12V variable power (PWM) to the fan motor. The fan control module is mounted next to the radiator fan, on the fan shroud. The PCM sends the PWM fan speed signal based on the engine temperature as sensed by the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. The fan control module is fed +12V thru an 80 amp fuse located in the aux fuse box.

Last edited by ersatz928; 01-03-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:39 PM
roberlu3

Default Overheated again

I just got my car back from the dealer today after they could not find an issue. It only overheats on long trips and when i get stuck on I35 in stop and go traffic. Two weeks ago it did it twice on the weekend. One day was 75 out and the other it was 83. Message on DIC states Engine overheating and something about Engine at Idle. Could not pull off highway on the first occurrence due to construction and barricades on both sides. once i got up to speed the temps went below 220 and stayed there. I have had my 2014 z51 m7 for about 15 months an this is the 3rd time it has overheated on me. I can't really check fans when im stuck in traffic but i will try the restart if it occurs this Easter weekend trip down I35.
The Following User Says Thank You to roberlu3 For This Useful Post:
AMMUSCLE (03-29-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 AM
michaeljohns

I had the same problem, went to the dealer twice with video, pictures etc, dealer could not duplicate. It only happened when the vehicle was stopped or moving very slowly, once I started moving and got up to about 40-50 mph, temp dropped back down under 220. Recently I installed the 600w performance cooling fan and a new 160 degree mishimoto thermostat, so far no more issues, but waiting for hot texas summer.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 PM
14 Stingray
CF Senior Member

I have had same issue. I have a 2014 Z51 and was coming home from the Bash at the museum on Sunday. Made two stops for gas and lunch. Got 3 miles from my exit and hit construction traffic, stop and go, turned off A/C to try and assist cooling by running heater, no help. Pulled over to parking lot, was starting to lose oil pressure, cut off car, opened the hood, fan not running. Tried to restart, acted like a low battery, difficult to turn over. Let the car sit for a while, engine started with a check engine light. Fan still did not come on until I turned on A/C again. Car drove home ok.

Next morning, on Monday, I drive car to dealer, no check engine light. Dealer calls me today for more info because.............you guessed it, failure to replicate.

Has happened to me at least two other times. Once I had a Master GM Tech connect a device to the car and sent command to the fan to run at 100% and fan responded, so we know that the does run when commanded, Just have to find out why the car is not telling the fan to run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating issue, any ideas?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: