C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retracting Brake Caliper Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:54 PM
amuseti
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

As I change my pads at the track, I want to get the job done fast. So I use this.

http://www.girodisc.com/Caliper-piston-spreader_p_5970.html

Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by lqqk_out
Someone asking a question about the proper tool to use for a procedure and you infer by that question said person doesn't have the necessary skill to perform the procedure? And you recommend using a large channel lock and rags on nice Brembo calipers?
I agree with him.

And have been using large channel locks and rag for 20+ years and hundreds of calipers and never scratched one.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:44 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

open the brake reservoir cap and just push/pull the pad with your fingers/hands. I've probably swapped pads 25 times and never used any tool to press the pistons in. Just open the cap and it should be easy.

edit: for clarity, I pull one side back all the way with the pad still in there, then drop in the new pad. Then do the same for the other side. You shouldn't ever have to take the caliper off the hub with out brakes. Use the pins. Way safer and way easier. I have no idea why you all are using pliers and clamps and etc.

I have been meaning to do a video showing this for a while, but I haven't gone to the track. Unfortunately, the thing that enables me to go to the track (job) is interfering with my ability to go to the track! I ordered ceramic brake pads so maybe I'll get a video this weekend.

Last edited by village idiot; 08-14-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

I use my fingers and do the same as VI, one side at a time. I don't open the reservoir cap. I change back and forth, street pads to track pads.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The front ones can be tough. Change one pad at a time. For example: press the pad on the inside in as far as possible and replace with new pad. Once the new inside pad is in compress the old pad on the outside as far as you can. The problem is if you compress the inside pad the outside pistons will then slide in making it hard to get the new one in on the other side. In other words, when you press in on one side the other side slides out. Hope this makes sense. I replace mine a dozen times a year for track days.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by amuseti
As I change my pads at the track, I want to get the job done fast. So I use this.

http://www.girodisc.com/Caliper-pist...er_p_5970.html
I have one of those, darn expensive and I never use it. It's just too big and cumbersome.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I use a variation of this tool shown on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ztech-Install...per+compressor

Amazon has several different versions at slightly different prices.

If the brake pads have ears on them the tool can also be used on the pads to push the pistons back far enough to get the pads out of the caliper. Then just insert the tool in the caliper and it pushes opposing pistons into the caliper.

I have been using my tool for close to 10 years now.

Bill
I have one of those as well. What's really great about it is that it has a fitting for a 1/2 impact. I just connect the same impact I used to remove the wheels and spin it one way to compress the pistons - super quick. I did grind the end off the metal rod you use for hand turning so you can remove it.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by amuseti

http://www.girodisc.com/Caliper-pist...er_p_5970.html
Me too!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:56 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I use one like this. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...BoCPrkQAvD_BwE
Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteC7
Interesting responses. I track my car a lot so I'm always swapping between track and street pads. I just push in the old brake pad with my hands till there is room for the new brake to drop in?

Quick Reply: Retracting Brake Caliper Pistons