New to Corvette Forum - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Corvette Forum

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-06-2018, 06:36 PM
  #1  
Rdubfalco
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 161
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default New to Corvette Forum

Hey All,
New to the Corvette Forum; Look forward to being part of community. Just picked up a 2016 C7Z06 M7 back in October, going to be installing Kooks long tubes to kooks catless x-pipe to factory mufflers this weekend. Also installing NGK LTR71X-11 plugs. Any pointers would be helpful.

Cheers!
Rdubfalco is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rdubfalco For This Useful Post:
Art17 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 PM
  #2  
Sabre34
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Sabre34's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Parrish FL
Posts: 17,616
Thanked 274 Times in 267 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-18

Default

Congrats and welcome aboard!
Sabre34 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:21 PM
  #3  
Vetteman Jack
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vetteman Jack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Missouri. Currently own 2003 Milestone Edition.
Posts: 260,178
Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,925 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Default

Welcome, but I'm going to move this over to the C7 Tech/Performance section to allow for some of the members there to help you with the guidance you seek.
Vetteman Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 PM
  #4  
Steven Bell
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Steven Bell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 15,513
Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,015 Posts
St. Jude Donor'15
Default

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to CorvetteForum.
Steven Bell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:44 PM
  #5  
Avanti
CF Senior Member
 
Avanti's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Bonneville Salt Flats, 223mph Aug. '04
Posts: 5,013
Thanked 427 Times in 294 Posts
Default

Avanti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 AM
  #6  
gilhuly
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gilhuly's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 27,720
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Default


Hello and welcome to the forums!
gilhuly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:28 AM
  #7  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,327
Thanked 655 Times in 432 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

For your plugs, check the gapping. I’d recommend going with a gap of 0.038”.
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 PM
  #8  
robertbruce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
robertbruce's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Location: Morrill Nebraska
Posts: 3,183
Thanked 986 Times in 707 Posts
Default

Welcome!
robertbruce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM
  #9  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 417
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Welcome to the forum.
Rules:
1. Don't post anything critical of Corvettes or you'll be flamed.

Uhoh, I'm probably going to get flamed for that...
DWillys is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DWillys For This Useful Post:
FYREANT (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
  #10  
Rdubfalco
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 161
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
Welcome, but I'm going to move this over to the C7 Tech/Performance section to allow for some of the members there to help you with the guidance you seek.
Copy that,

Thank you.
Rdubfalco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:44 PM
  #11  
Rdubfalco
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 161
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
For your plugs, check the gapping. Id recommend going with a gap of 0.038.
Copy that,

My tuner is LT1Z, advised the same gap specs.
Rdubfalco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM
  #12  
Rdubfalco
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 161
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
For your plugs, check the gapping. I’d recommend going with a gap of 0.038”.
Thanks FYREANT,
MY tuner recommended NGK LTR7IX-11 plugs. I'm currently installing 2" kooks long tubes to kooks catless x-pipe to factory muffler and AFE CAI and will be doing a 50% E85 tune fore my initial round mods, but plan on going pulleys/cam and cooling mods in the future. How would I gap these plugs as these do not appear to be (adjustable) other than torque specs? Am I missing something here? Sorry for the noob question, but want to do this right. Thanks.

Last edited by Rdubfalco; 03-13-2018 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Errors
Rdubfalco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM
  #13  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,327
Thanked 655 Times in 432 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco View Post
Thanks FYREANT,
MY tuner recommended NGK LTR7IX-11 plugs. I'm currently installing 2" kooks long tubes to kooks catless x-pipe to factory muffler and AFE CAI and will be doing a 50% E85 tune fore my initial round mods, but plan on going pulleys/cam and cooling mods in the future. How would I gap these plugs as these do not appear to be (adjustable) other than torque specs? Am I missing something here? Sorry for the noob question, but want to do this right. Thanks.
If you are going to be adding more boost (pulleys) then I would drop the gap down to .032 or so. The plugs you were recommended are correct. Other option is to go to Brisk plugs. I would stick with the NGKs unless you have issues with the boost blowing them out. You have to be very careful when gapping to not damage the iridium tips.
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:42 PM
  #14  
Rdubfalco
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 161
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
If you are going to be adding more boost (pulleys) then I would drop the gap down to .032 or so. The plugs you were recommended are correct. Other option is to go to Brisk plugs. I would stick with the NGKs unless you have issues with the boost blowing them out. You have to be very careful when gapping to not damage the iridium tips.
FYERANT I'm tracking on the above. What are the procedures for "Gapping" the spark plugs? Thank you.
Rdubfalco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:49 PM
  #15  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,327
Thanked 655 Times in 432 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco View Post
FYERANT I'm tracking on the above. What are the procedures for "Gapping" the spark plugs? Thank you.
I personally tap the end of them on the ground -VERY- carefully to tighten the gap. Do NOT put anything in between the plug tip and the electrode! If you tighten the gap too much, you have to Bend the top back a lil without damaging the iridium tip.

I only do it this way because I have done it so many times I have a good feel for how much force needed to get it just right.

Last edited by FYREANT; 03-13-2018 at 01:49 PM.
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:57 PM
  #16  
Rdubfalco
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 161
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
I personally tap the end of them on the ground -VERY- carefully to tighten the gap. Do NOT put anything in between the plug tip and the electrode! If you tighten the gap too much, you have to Bend the top back a lil without damaging the iridium tip.

I only do it this way because I have done it so many times I have a good feel for how much force needed to get it just right.
Ahhh I see,

I'm thinking a feeler gauge and gently manipulate it down to said clearance would be the best way, but then again, you said do not damage iridium or put any object between the tip and the electrode. Should make for a tedious/interesting task. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Thanks for your feedback.
Rdubfalco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM
  #17  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,327
Thanked 655 Times in 432 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

You can put a spark plug gapper between it to -check- clearance, just dont use it to try and bend the gap out.
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:08 PM
  #18  
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor
 
MerakiAutoworks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles California
Posts: 8,855
Thanked 240 Times in 227 Posts
Default

If you need those NGK plugs we can get it for you!

-Josh
MerakiAutoworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 AM
  #19  
Rdubfalco
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 161
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks View Post
If you need those NGK plugs we can get it for you!

-Josh
Hey Josh I already have the plugs, thanks though, I just gapped them and have them installed already.
Rdubfalco is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rdubfalco For This Useful Post:
MerakiAutoworks (03-14-2018)
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Corvette Forum


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: