C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB

Guys,

I have helped alot of you at this point with my ported LT1 / LT4 throttle bodies which IMO is one of the best bang for the buck upgrades you will ever experience. While that sounds like a convenient sales pitch, coming from a guy who places a high value on his reputation (and who has decades of experience in this industry) I simply wouldn't make a statement like that unless I felt it was true. When you factor in the gains versus cost and the 10-15 minute cake installation, it really just doesnt get any better at this price point (under $400 shipped to your door). Also the reality of the situation is my ported throttle body cures a problematic design issue with the OEM part....that's why this upgrade is such a significant improvement in responsiveness, drivability, and increases torque and horsepower output.

Getting on with the real reason I decided to start this thread, I recently received an email from one of my customers that was so detailed and well written I requested his permission to post it on the forums (he isn't a registered member on any of the car related forums yet).

Its very informative in my opinion and written from the point of view of the end user who was uncertain about exactly what he was going to experience when I mailed it to him but was looking forward to it based on all the good reviews he has read.

Here it is copied and pasted below exactly how I received it.....I think its a good read, especially helpful from the standpoint of a perspective buyer which is why I took the time to share.

Jim......once again....thanks for the well thought out email and for taking the time to share your experience with me

Cheers,
Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony,
I received your ported TB early this afternoon, installed it and spent the rest of the day driving my ZL1 all over hell's half acre to give my car and your TB a chance to get acquainted. Below is a synopsis of my driving impressions.

Review date: 09 June 2018
Wx: Sunny, Clear, Air Temp 90deg, Humidity 72%, Baro 30.02
Vehicle: 2018 ZL1 A10, 3100 miles, no modifications (except ported TB), Shell 93 pump gas, operated mostly in Sport Mode with occasional runs in Track Mode

Review Conditions: No effect on idle. Car started and ran as normal with a slight increase in audible S/C noise when revving. Drove the car for 127 miles varying throttle position from low speed lugging around town, idling in drive, idling in park, heat soaking twice after highway runs then starting up again and finally, several high-speed WOT runs. Specifically looked for how the car responded under part-throttle, moderate acceleration then backing off before resuming moderate throttle and rolling WOT at various speeds.

Impressions: The car never hesitated or bogged down under any of the conditions stated above. Throttle response was significantly smoother through the transition of part throttle to moderate or WOT. Previously, the car seemed to buck when stepping on the gas and then lunge forward. Transition is much smoother with less right foot pressure needed to get things going. The same is also true when backing off the throttle then stepping down again. This is very noticeable when exiting corners under part throttle then mashing it down. The bucking is all but absent making for a smooth and confidence-inspiring experience.

The closest thing I can relate this feeling to is my experience riding two very different motorcycles from Kawasaki; the n/a 900 Ninja and the GPZ 750 Turbo. Power from the Ninja mill was very linear and would build in a smooth, controlled manner. You could confidently throw it into a corner and then roll-on the throttle upon exit with no fear. On the other hand, the Turbo was either mildly sedate or with just a little more twist of the wrist, ferocious with stupid-fast acceleration and no in-between. The bike would buck as I tried to find the right throttle position. The ZL1 throttle feels similar in how it makes the car behave into and out of corners. Not anymore!

I feel more pressure against the seat when accelerating from a standstill and especially from low-speed to WOT jaunt. Power delivery is much more linear with speed building noticeably quicker. Not a huge difference but, a noticeable difference. Equally noticeable was how much quicker the car settled down into a steady-state after reaching speed. Whether it was 50mph or 3 x 50mph, once the car reached the desired speed it calmed right down and sailed smoothly along. The Boost Guage is more lively now, moving much quicker from vacuum to boost with just the slightest touch of the throttle.

A curious side-effect that jumped out at me was how long the car remained in 'Performance Mode' when pushed. The xmsn would hold a lower gear longer before shifting. I repeated this effect several times accelerating hard then decelerating just as hard while negotiating corners or running a straight section of road. The shift point is noticeably longer. Almost as if the car is begging for more right-foot fun and holding out a little more before finally calming down and up-shifting. I'm going to keep playing with this aspect and see what to make of it.

Last item of note is the amount of soot produced with the new TB. Previously, under hard acceleration, the inner tailpipes would be as black as the bottom of a mineshaft with a thick layer. Now, there is significantly less soot and even after multiple hard runs, I can still see chrome at the tips. There's still plenty of soot, just not anywhere near as much as before. This tells me the AFR has changed and the engine is running leaner but not so lean as to be of concern.

Summary: Tony, as you well know by now, your ported TB for the LT4 is a home run. A great piece of gear that delivers in all areas of performance. Well Done!

Regards,
Jim Aldridge

P.S. For 2017-18 ZL1 owners, the water deflector in the hood is really an air extractor when removed. Front end of the car really settles down at speed when it's removed!

The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:16 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Guys,

this upgrade is such a significant improvement in responsiveness, drivability, and increases torque and horsepower output[/B]

How much more hp ?

How much for C7 stingray lT1 TB ?

Do you take money off if I return mine ?

Is it plug and play ? ecm will play nicely - I wont have to deal with any issues ?

Thanks

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-11-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
Old 06-10-2018, 08:33 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

After reading a bit more - A6 might not benefit much from this mod also I have Vitesse arriving soon and read this:

If the only mod you are going to do is a ported throttle body......don't do it.

BTW, ported TB with the Vitesse will likely cause a check engine light.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:26 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by rsvette12
After reading a bit more - A6 might not benefit much from this mod also I have Vitesse arriving soon and read this:

Wait, what is your reasoning on not considering a ported throttle body?

Honestly you need to do more homework.....the more you read the more you will want to own one.

Regarding auto vs manual and the gains experienced, I have gone over this numerous times in various threads but it's worth repeating.....in a nutshell.....ALL THE UPSIDES ARE THE SAME.

Your engine has no clue what transmission is bolted behind it.....all the perks of my ported TB are exactly the same including the 12- 15 RWTQ and 12-15 RWHP it adds as well.....the increase in throttle response, the removal of the lag off idle (which is simply masked more with the auto because there is no clutch pulling the engine down and less fancy foot work....LOL)....the large improvement in tip in throttle and the more linear intuitive power delivery.....its ALL there. The manual trans cars and the autos all reap the same benefits of this upgrade.

In fact I have helped many guys that have an A8 (who didnt realize they even had an issue) that simply wanted to try my product because of all the good reviews (knowing I offer a 30 day performance guarantee as well so no risk). Many of them took the time to email me back and let me know that now the car feels especially awesome with this upgrade and they didnt realize how bad it was until they felt how right it could be with the modified TB I offer.....a welcomed surprise on the upside for most.

While the manual trans guys are thrilled it helps remove/eliminate an issue that is more obvious (specifically the off idle lag), the A8 guys have been just as happy and as I mentioned more surprised mostly not realizing what they have been missing all along.

I encourage all of you running a stock LT1 or LT4 TB to try one of my modified units....its plug and play....no tune required....if your not totally stoked about the money you spent with me you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. Not too many opportunities in this hobby that offer you that type situation.....take advantage of it while you can. Also, clearly your not taking a flyer here....there must be a few hundred posts with extremely satisfied customers running my products. If your new to this hobby or the GM platform I recommend you Google my name if your unfamiliar with my background. I have been designing high performance cylinder heads, intake manifolds, and TB's for two decades and I basically specialize in the art of airflow. I should add that while I have designed cylinder heads and various airflow related products for alot of different brands over the years (even sport bikes), Im a "bowtie man" at heart and GM products make up 90% of the gear I specialize in.

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-10-2018 at 11:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
JDMilw (11-15-2018), Mike.D (07-15-2018), rsvette12 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:45 AM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

Guys, listen to what Tony is saying....he has experience and 100's of satisfied customers to back up everything he says. I'm one of his very satisfied customers. Previously, I had a '16 Stingray Z51. I came upon Tony's product here on CF and decided to give one of his TB's a try because of all the positive reviews. Well, it really woke that LT1 up...much more than I had anticipated. I sold the Stingray shortly thereafter and bought a '15 Z06/Z07 and knew I HAD to get a Mamo TB for Z06 because the tip-in issues are much more prevalent with the LT4's (mine was significant). I received the TB on Friday and installed it that night. Unfortunately, I've been living at work all weekend and haven't had a chance to drive it yet....it's killing me! I also added a BMS filter at the same time so I cannot wait to see how this car responds. Keep up the awesome work Tony!!
rsvette12 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Thanks sounds like this is on my to buy list for sure - do you accept core for lower cost for yours ? thanks much
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12

I was the one that said this. And I still stand by it. Both together greatly increases the chances of a check engine light. The ECU will see more incoming air than it should and if you set the Vitesse controller to a high setting with a ported TB, you will likely get a CEL. It's specifically the combination of both mods that cause this, not the ported TB.

Basically pick one or the other to avoid problems. My words were based on the fact that you already bought the Vitesse. But if you are not worried about the money, then buy a ported TB and sell the Vitesse.

Also 12-15rwhp that is mentioned in here must be for the LT4 or LT5. No way will you see that on an LT1.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 06-11-2018 at 09:38 AM.
rsvette12 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Throttle Body

Totally agree with the above..........no way 12-15 hp.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:27 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I was the one that said this. And I still stand by it. Both together greatly increases the chances of a check engine light. The ECU will see more incoming air than it should and if you set the Vitesse controller to a high setting with a ported TB, you will likely get a CEL. It's specifically the combination of both mods that cause this, not the ported TB.

Basically pick one or the other to avoid problems. My words were based on the fact that you already bought the Vitesse. But if you are not worried about the money, then buy a ported TB and sell the Vitesse.

Also 12-15rwhp that is mentioned in here must be for the LT4 or LT5. No way will you see that on an LT1.
Thanks Buddy much appreciated
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Black18C7
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Tony. Please forgive my ignorance but can you please explain in technical terms how the ported one is so much better than stock ? Thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Black18C7
Tony. Please forgive my ignorance but can you please explain in technical terms how the ported one is so much better than stock ? Thanks
Short on time right now for a thorough explanation (and it would be the 6th time I've probably detailed this....LOL).

The quick answer is a much better (more streamlined) housing bore shape such that your seeing an additional 150 CFM's of peak flow from my porting work (1000 CFM versus 850 stock....an 18% improvement!). Also the airflow is much more linear as it relates to your throttle blade position with the work I do picking up a bunch of added airflow in the lower throttle positions which is what is helping to eliminate or minimize the lag you guys are experiencing that are in tune with this situation. In fact at at 30 - 40% throttle angles where you probably launching the car with a six speed as you roll out the clutch, your up 50-60% in available airflow which is huge!

In fact this is a much more detailed thread.....its definitely worth a quick read if you haven't had the chance to review it yet.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-inside.html

Also you have nothing to lose and all to gain by trying one.....Im giving you 30 days to be sure you absolutely do not want to mail it back to me!

Email me if you have any other specific questions etc.

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-11-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had one on my LT-1 for a year and it's just as Tony described. Tip in is much smoothed and responsive and clutch engagement from a stop is much more precise. I subsequently added a Vararam intake and still no codes thrown. Good combo. I never put my Vitesse back on since it was throwing codes by itself and I haven't missed it since getting Tony's throttle body.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

hows an order work? email you for price and go to site to pay via credit card page? whats the current turnaround time..

thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Never Settle
hows an order work? email you for price and go to site to pay via credit card page? whats the current turnaround time..

thanks!
Good questions =)

Current lead times are two weeks or so but could be three weeks very quickly. If you plan on 2-3 weeks your likely in good shape unless I update this thread and state otherwise.

While you can email or call me to process the order perhaps the easiest and fastest way to facilitate the purchase is to hit my website

www.mamomotorsports.com

Top right corner of home page you will see a pic of a credit card.....click on it and fill out all your info....its that simple. Insert 390.00 in the payment amount (that's the shipped price).

After your last name use a space and type LT4 (or LT1) to designate the correct TB. You will receive an email receipt of the transaction immediately and I will be notified of the payment at that exact same time.....pretty quick and straightforward. I will email you tracking info when Im ready to ship. Older orders take priority and ship first so the sooner you order the sooner it ships

I will send it USPS priority in a well packed box

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

This is definately on my list of the next thing to get!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:31 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I’m very satisfied with mine. I tried two different Vitesse throttle controllers, and they both caused my 7-speed Stingray to go into limp mode after high rpm WOT acceleration. None of that after disconnecting the Vitesse, and installing the Mamo ptb, and the throttle response is improved in normal driving...which is 99% of what I do.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Installed on an LT1 A8. Very happy with the results I’ve experienced with throttle tip in.

Took me about 30 min to install as I don’t have opposable thumbs (mechanical chops).

And, props to Tony for answering all my questions and concerns.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB

Old 06-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok so i go to the website, click products and all i see or can click on are pictures of builds. Nothing related to anything for purchase.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:38 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Ghostnotes
Ok so i go to the website, click products and all i see or can click on are pictures of builds. Nothing related to anything for purchase.
Read Post 14 above in this thread

Everything you need to know right there

-Tony
Old 06-27-2018, 11:16 AM
AlexM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Tony, I noticed you sell your Ported TB for $390 shipped. Is that with or w/o core? In other words, if I send my TB to you, how much will it be to do the porting and what is the turn around?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB