C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small rhythmic vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM
automaticj5
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Small rhythmic vibration

Hello all!

ive been noticing a weird vibration that has rhythm - it's probably a 2/10 and it used to just happen every so often but now it's happening more - it's almost like if I had a bent wheel I'd feel it every time the wheel does a full circle, however the rhythm is slower than that so I can't imagine it's in the wheels anywhere.

Any ideas?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

8 speed auto transmission I assume?
Old 07-01-2018, 01:01 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
That's my question, too.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:56 PM
automaticj5
Instructor

yes A8. Thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 04:56 PM
automaticj5
Instructor

Originally Posted by iclick
That's my question, too.
yup. Auto!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:58 PM
automaticj5
Instructor

Originally Posted by automaticj5

yup. Auto!
and 5200 miles Incase that helps in anyway. Thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Mine just started , when I put a new set of run flats and only on one road , very rythmic , I had them rebalance and it's not as bad but I can still faintly feel it

I know its the tires and I have a range device and I never had any vibration until input the tires on it at 34,000
might be a wheel as I hit a pretty bad pothole just before replacing my tires

Dave

Dave
Old 07-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Sounds like it could be a Torque Converter issue. Common problem. A lot of material on here about it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...c-shudder.html
Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Sounds like it could be a Torque Converter issue. Common problem. A lot of material on here about it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...c-shudder.html
nah not this , it's a rhythm vibration that comes and goes like a harmonic vibration ...I have the range device so I know its not going in and out of lockup and it does not matter what gear it's in. It did not do it before i put runflats on it

my C6 did the same thing to the point I though it was a wheel bearing that is why I had Discount rebalance them . Nit as bad now but on one stretch of road I travel I can still feel it
Dave
Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM
automaticj5
Instructor

So is this more of an annoyance or a danger thing? I don't need the car locking up or wheel falling off or something crazy lol
Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dcasole
nah not this , it's a rhythm vibration that comes and goes like a harmonic vibration ...I have the range device so I know its not going in and out of lockup and it does not matter what gear it's in. It did not do it before i put runflats on it

my C6 did the same thing to the point I though it was a wheel bearing that is why I had Discount rebalance them . Nit as bad now but on one stretch of road I travel I can still feel it
Dave
That is exactly how my A8 felt. Rhythmic in and out and had nothing to do with V4 mode.

List of things it could be:
-Torque Converter
-Torque Tube Bearings (usually accompanied by noise)
-Out of balanced tires(or poor job)
-Wheel Bearing(almost always accompanied by noise)
-Rear differential eLSD clutch issue(use of wrong gear oil or one that does not have the limited slip additive)
-Warped brake rotors(but you would feel a real bad shimmy when you press on the brakes)
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Hank Pauli
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is exactly how my A8 felt. Rhythmic in and out and had nothing to do with V4 mode.

List of things it could be:
-Torque Converter
-Torque Tube Bearings (usually accompanied by noise)
-Out of balanced tires(or poor job)
-Wheel Bearing(almost always accompanied by noise)
-Rear differential eLSD clutch issue(use of wrong gear oil or one that does not have the limited slip additive)
-Warped brake rotors(but you would feel a real bad shimmy when you press on the brakes)

My vote would be for a slightly bent rim… On the barrel side. Telltale sign was pot hole that was hit before the issues started.
unfortunately I know from experience.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hank Pauli

My vote would be for a slightly bent rim… On the barrel side. Telltale sign was pot hole that was hit before the issues started.
unfortunately I know from experience.
I agree , I am not one to jump to conclusions right away , I have not had or ever had any issues with my transmission ( I must be one of the few, don't jinx me lol lol ) and the problem started when I hit a pot hole on the highway really hard at 75 MPH and split the bead of my rear tire right at the bead lock, the jarring almost made me bite my tongue and I was really glad I had run flats because if not I would have been waiting for a tow truck

Lucky for me and against my wifes jugement at the time ( what do u need them for … lol ) I purchased a set of takeoffs just the week prior, I just was just not expecting to have to use them so soon .

Just after mounting the new tires and only on one stretch of road by my home I get the rhythmic on and off vibration at 60 to 65 MPH , I can switch to manual mode , drop it down a few gears and back up and nothing changes , pretty much rules out anything like torque tube , flex plate or torque converter as the change in engine and shaft speed do nothing to change the vibration .

I took it back to Discount Tire and asked them to check the balance again which they did , and now its still there a just a little bit … and only because I know what to look and feel for … so my money is on a bent rim now .

Been looking for some new 20 inch black rear rims …

The only reason I mention this is because everyone , with just cause, jumps on the transmission/torque converter bandwagon , I just want the OP and other to know that there are other casues of vibration other than the trans etc ….

Dave
Old 07-02-2018, 11:05 PM
automaticj5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I agree , I am not one to jump to conclusions right away , I have not had or ever had any issues with my transmission ( I must be one of the few, don't jinx me lol lol ) and the problem started when I hit a pot hole on the highway really hard at 75 MPH and split the bead of my rear tire right at the bead lock, the jarring almost made me bite my tongue and I was really glad I had run flats because if not I would have been waiting for a tow truck

Lucky for me and against my wifes jugement at the time ( what do u need them for … lol ) I purchased a set of takeoffs just the week prior, I just was just not expecting to have to use them so soon .

Just after mounting the new tires and only on one stretch of road by my home I get the rhythmic on and off vibration at 60 to 65 MPH , I can switch to manual mode , drop it down a few gears and back up and nothing changes , pretty much rules out anything like torque tube , flex plate or torque converter as the change in engine and shaft speed do nothing to change the vibration .

I took it back to Discount Tire and asked them to check the balance again which they did , and now its still there a just a little bit … and only because I know what to look and feel for … so my money is on a bent rim now .

Been looking for some new 20 inch black rear rims …

The only reason I mention this is because everyone , with just cause, jumps on the transmission/torque converter bandwagon , I just want the OP and other to know that there are other casues of vibration other than the trans etc ….

Dave
Thanks. This was definitely my first thought... especially because it got worse after I tagged a pothole on the highway.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:08 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Thanks. This was definitely my first thought... especially because it got worse after I tagged a pothole on the highway.
Welcome , I would check your rims and tires for obvious damage and then take them to a place like Discount Tire and have them check for damage or a bent rim or a busted cord in the tire, if no damage found I would have them rebalance and see if that helps

I had a split in the bead and a bubble you could not miss but my rims looked to be ok . If it keeps bothering me I am going to take the wheels to a wheel repair place and have them spin them up

Dave
Old 02-28-2019, 05:32 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Hi, Did you find the cause? I have exactly the same thing and my car is the 6-speed manual.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:02 AM
Riderover50
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello all!

ive been noticing a weird vibration that has rhythm - it's probably a 2/10 and it used to just happen every so often but now it's happening more - it's almost like if I had a bent wheel I'd feel it every time the wheel does a full circle, however the rhythm is slower than that so I can't imagine it's in the wheels anywhere.

Any ideas?
OMG I am so happy somebody else has this issue!! I have the same thing but I discovered when I put oversize wheels on my Z51. It was rythmic just like you say and it was peominant with the huge tires! 345’s back and 295’s front. Anyways long stiry short when I put the oem wheels back on I temporarily thought it was gone but I eventually picked up on it again but nit as noticeable!

Did you ever figure it out?

Get notified of new replies

To Small rhythmic vibration

Quick Reply: Small rhythmic vibration