C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash illumination

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:21 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Dash illumination

seems at dusk the instrument panel illumination on my 2014 goes dim. it’s fine in bright sun and at night but dims out right around dusk making it hard to see. anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-08-2018, 01:31 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Same thing on my Z06 this a.m. heading to town at daybreak. With mine it was because Auto Headlights turned on but too lite to see instrument info (not dark enough). But as your post says as it gets bright in full light because Auto Lights turn off making info brighter & at nite when it gets darker & darker the info "appears" to get brighter but actually with less ambient light coming inside car it becomes easier to read. There also is a tiny button size circular **** that can be used to brighten/dim instrument panel till gets total dark, also useful to turn down on dark stretches of hwy at nite to give you better nite vision to see outside of car (what's ahead).
Old 07-08-2018, 02:54 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Same thing on my Z06 this a.m. heading to town at daybreak. With mine it was because Auto Headlights turned on but too lite to see instrument info (not dark enough). But as your post says as it gets bright in full light because Auto Lights turn off making info brighter & at nite when it gets darker & darker the info "appears" to get brighter but actually with less ambient light coming inside car it becomes easier to read. There also is a tiny button size circular **** that can be used to brighten/dim instrument panel till gets total dark, also useful to turn down on dark stretches of hwy at nite to give you better nite vision to see outside of car (what's ahead).
where is this tiny ****? the only **** i can find dims or brightens the heads up display.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:06 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

OK, I'm assuming (oh crap) that all C7s are the same. My '16 Z, the **** is lower left side of DIC (just outside of it) & has white indicator showing more/less bright. My HUD one is in a row of 3 rocker switches bottom left next to power mirror adjustments.

Last edited by madrob2020; 07-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Dash dimmer **** is hidden behind the steering wheel. You have to look / feel for it. Look at pg 6-5 in the manual.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonC7
Dash dimmer **** is hidden behind the steering wheel. You have to look / feel for it. Look at pg 6-5 in the manual.
i know about that **** but only seems to work on the courtesy lamps on either side of rear view mirror. the manual says it works th courtesy lamps and the instrument cluster but i found it doesn’t in my car. i think it might be the auto feature for the headlamps that is affecting the cluster illumination at dusk. going to check out that theory.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mmorse

i know about that **** but only seems to work on the courtesy lamps on either side of rear view mirror. the manual says it works th courtesy lamps and the instrument cluster but i found it doesn’t in my car. i think it might be the auto feature for the headlamps that is affecting the cluster illumination at dusk. going to check out that theory.
ok took a new look at the ****. it does vary the illumination on instrument cluster. mine was already set clockwise to the brightest setting. must be the auto headlamp setting that affects the illumination at dusk. can’t think of anything else.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:43 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

This one drove me nuts when I first got the car, you dont see the **** when you are driving, but loo near the steering wheel.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:54 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spinkick
This one drove me nuts when I first got the car, you dont see the **** when you are driving, but loo near the steering wheel.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a well known software issue in 2014’s. There is a software download flash for this if the OP has not already done so.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash illumination

Quick Reply: Dash illumination