C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Flash Touch Up Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Carbon Flash Touch Up Paint?

I ordered a set of wheel spats in carbon flash from Corvette Mods, and one arrived with a small area of the paint chipped off. The vendor refused to issue a replacement since my installer already put the part on. Rather than taking the spat off and having it completely refinished like it should have been at the factory, I was wondering if I can just use some carbon flash touch up paint. If so, any brand you recommend?
Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Yuck not good and feel for you - prep was not done correctly - they really need to be sanded with a DA to remove all the grain and use a good plastic adhesion promoter

That said best to take it off and do it right - basically needs to be stripped - repaint a base coat then clear it - chipped off area is to deep and to close to body - never look right trying to fill in that with touchup paint

These painted spat sellers are producing really need to take note what smoothie engine cover suppliers are doing - the grain is removed
Old 07-21-2018, 10:53 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Yuck not good and feel for you - prep was not done correctly - they really need to be sanded with a DA to remove all the grain and use a good plastic adhesion promoter

That said best to take it off and do it right - basically needs to be stripped - repaint a base coat then clear it - chipped off area is to deep and to close to body - never look right trying to fill in that with touchup paint

These painted spat sellers are producing really need to take note what smoothie engine cover suppliers are doing - the grain is removed
Yeah, you're right. The bad part is, now I have to pay an auto body guy to refinish the spats, when the vendor could have just sent me a quality product to begin with. But complaining to them does no good. And even on here if I make a complaint against the vendor (which I did last week), the moderators will immediately close out my post. That's not helping the next guy that comes along and wants to buy products from the same vendor. Yes, you can do research, but sometimes you miss posts. Anyway, shame on me for not vetting this company better.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Bcarr
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

I haven't heard much good about them either.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:33 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by PG County Boy
Yeah, you're right. The bad part is, now I have to pay an auto body guy to refinish the spats, when the vendor could have just sent me a quality product to begin with. But complaining to them does no good. And even on here if I make a complaint against the vendor (which I did last week), the moderators will immediately close out my post. That's not helping the next guy that comes along and wants to buy products from the same vendor. Yes, you can do research, but sometimes you miss posts. Anyway, shame on me for not vetting this company better.
You are absolutely correct - these are not cheap to buy and I would do them myself - they are not putting the extra effort in preparation to eliminate this issue - crap shoot really but a process that eliminates 90% of defects would serve them better
Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That's going to be a pretty large area to try to fix with touch-up paint. Dr. Colorchip make some great touch-up kits, but they are better suited for rock chips/dings. If you are adventurous enough to try a spray paint, I might suggest Automotivetouchup.com. They offer factory colors in rattle cans. I've bought from both in the past, and had excellent paint matches from both of them.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 PM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Originally Posted by DWS44
That's going to be a pretty large area to try to fix with touch-up paint. Dr. Colorchip make some great touch-up kits, but they are better suited for rock chips/dings. If you are adventurous enough to try a spray paint, I might suggest Automotivetouchup.com. They offer factory colors in rattle cans. I've bought from both in the past, and had excellent paint matches from both of them.
You're right. I'm just going to have my auto body person refinish the spats and have them done right. Too bad I have that extra expense because the vendor won't do the right thing.
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (07-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Flash Touch Up Paint?

Quick Reply: Carbon Flash Touch Up Paint?