C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners

I own a C7 Grand Sport 2018....I am racing in SCCA auto cross and Time Attack events. I have installed cat back Acropovic TI system and the Chevrolet Racing Cold Air Intake. I am about a sec. off the fastest times and need a little extra oomph.....I do not want to install anything that will void the warranty. Have not run race gas but plan to. What would the next upgrade be? I am reading about Tuners that you can plug in to remap the car...Do these work and add HP?...If so, which one is the best. Thanks
Old 08-08-2018, 12:23 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

No.

The engineers at GM went to good schools, and there's not a bunch of hidden power that they missed or forgot about. If you MODIFY the car beyond the bounds of what it can compensate for on its own, then you need a tune, but there's no benefit to changing a stock car other than to turn off features like AFM. But there's no power to be found in stock form. I don't think your exhaust and intake would be something that need to be tuned for, but others can chime in on that, I don't want to make any blanket statements as I just have the exhaust.

In theory you could run it leaner and -maybe- squeeze a few horsepower out somewhere, but as we know the timing is already on the edge of too aggressive already for 92.

Last edited by davepl; 08-08-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:09 PM
dfkruger
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Better Performance

Originally Posted by Wiggles
I own a C7 Grand Sport 2018....I am racing in SCCA auto cross and Time Attack events. I have installed cat back Acropovic TI system and the Chevrolet Racing Cold Air Intake. I am about a sec. off the fastest times and need a little extra oomph.....I do not want to install anything that will void the warranty. Have not run race gas but plan to. What would the next upgrade be? I am reading about Tuners that you can plug in to remap the car...Do these work and add HP?...If so, which one is the best. Thanks
Ported throttle body ,Corsa Extreme mid pipe , and if you want to spend big money, Carbon fiber wheels . You will pick up those seconds with no tune needed .Corvette forever . DK .
Old 08-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

There is room in the tune for more power, a little bit at WOT but there is a TON of opportunity from 0-99% throttle in response, power, efficiency, etc. GM used all their engineering school knowledge to neuter and restrict that can easily be undone.
However, the stipulation of not killing the warranty rules a tune out anyways.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

Bite the bullet and do full bolt-ons with a tune. Or enjoy the current lap times. Anything that modifies airflow in and out of the engine(more power) needs a tune. You could tune the car without mods, but if you're going to go that far you might as well do the full gambit, headers, ported intake manifold, ported TB.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
There is room in the tune for more power, a little bit at WOT but there is a TON of opportunity from 0-99% throttle in response, power, efficiency, etc. GM used all their engineering school knowledge to neuter and restrict that can easily be undone.
^^This^^ So MUCH this...

John
Old 08-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Saving your warranty sets your parameters right there and then, limiting tremendously what you can do... as has been said. Enjoy what you have until you decide to change your mind about that.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:32 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are looking for another second in lap time, spend the money and go to a driving school or look more at tires. Since those events are mostly mechanical grip you might look at getting a DSC Controller for your suspension. It makes a huge difference in the car all of the time. I started to go the tuner route then determined it is a never ending pit of expenses which are useless if I don't improve my driving. A good driver will get much more out of an under powered car then an average driver can get out of an over powered car.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Exactly,

There is plenty of part throttle power to pick up, along with torque and timing adjustments you can get into the low/mid 11's. The tune/calibration on these are conservative. This translates into a potential for better lap times,providing you have the driver mod to go with it.

Last edited by Ghostnotes; 08-14-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BradT
If you are looking for another second in lap time, spend the money and go to a driving school or look more at tires. Since those events are mostly mechanical grip you might look at getting a DSC Controller for your suspension. It makes a huge difference in the car all of the time. I started to go the tuner route then determined it is a never ending pit of expenses which are useless if I don't improve my driving. A good driver will get much more out of an under powered car then an average driver can get out of an over powered car.
I understand that for sure, I have been racing street bikes since the 80s, Owned several race teams that competes in WERA, CMRA and the MRA. In our last,race, we ran a lightly modified ZX10, pipe and race harness, and won the overall in a 4 hour race by out riding everyone else. I am working on being a better driver....however from what I am hearing, you can add,horsepower and learn how to drive it, where the HP,will help,is on the start and straights. I am talking to SCR Performance in Loveland CO now. We are adding the X pipe,and a different air intake that actually will let more air in. Going to remap the car on a dyno,and then work on the suspension and chassis to get the car to grip. They also statesman the best thing you can do is work on getting the car to grip.

I do have another question...

Tires seem to be an issue as I hear the Bridgestone RE7 is the best but do not make the,size in a 19/20.......do guys buy wheels to fit that tire or is there a tire out there that will work on the stock wheels....the Michelin Sport Cup 2 looks pretty good, half slick, but do not know if it works...thoughts......

Thanks,for the Comments!
Old 08-14-2018, 03:10 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Cup 2's are good, but for longer life you could go to 18" wheels and some type of DOT slick like Hoosier makes.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

I understand that for sure, I have been racing street bikes since the 80s, Owned several race teams that competes in WERA, CMRA and the MRA. In our last,race, we ran a lightly modified ZX10, pipe and race harness, and won the overall in a 4 hour race by out riding everyone else. I am working on being a better driver....however from what I am hearing, you can add,horsepower and learn how to drive it, where the HP,will help,is on the start and straights. I am talking to SCR Performance in Loveland CO now. We are adding the X pipe,and a different air intake that actually will let more air in. Going to remap the car on a dyno,and then work on the suspension and chassis to get the car to grip. They also statesman the best thing you can do is work on getting the car to grip.

I do have another question...

Tires seem to be an issue as I hear the Bridgestone RE7 is the best but do not make the,size in a 19/20.......do guys buy wheels to fit that tire or is there a tire out there that will work on the stock wheels....the Michelin Sport Cup 2 looks pretty good, half slick, but do not know if it works...thoughts......

Thanks,for the Comments!

To be quite frank here, if you have the kind of money to own race teams, why are you even worried about a warranty? Mod the car, tune it, and take your slight chances that something breaks. It's not like your insurance is going to cover your car if you crash it on the track....not unless you bought the extra racing insurance. If racing is your passion I don't get your logic here.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
To be quite frank here, if you have the kind of money to own race teams, why are you even worried about a warranty? Mod the car, tune it, and take your slight chances that something breaks. It's not like your insurance is going to cover your car if you crash it on the track....not unless you bought the extra racing insurance. If racing is your passion I don't get your logic here.

Ughhh...I have a wife.

Get notified of new replies

To HP Tuners

Quick Reply: HP Tuners