C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery

Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 AM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Dead battery

i know there are a lot of dead battery threads in here but apparently I have an unusual deal here. I got in the car to start it and it was dead so I opened the rear hatch and plugged in the tender and then I closed the hatch which is apparently a bad thing. When the battery was first dead before I put the tender on I used the key to open the rear hatch since it would not pop open but after plugging in the tender I checked a few days later and still not a charge apparently it was to far gone for the tender to bring back. Now even when using the key the rear hatch only opens partially but not enough for it to release and allow me access. This is on a 2016 Z, I have had the car parked at a friends shop for a couple months due to construction at my house and I just forgot to put the tender on it.
Has anyone seen this where the hatch will not open and what do I need to do to get this to release. It is like the electric part of the latch will not release due to no power.
Thanks
Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jon c
i know there are a lot of dead battery threads in here but apparently I have an unusual deal here. I got in the car to start it and it was dead so I opened the rear hatch and plugged in the tender and then I closed the hatch which is apparently a bad thing. When the battery was first dead before I put the tender on I used the key to open the rear hatch since it would not pop open but after plugging in the tender I checked a few days later and still not a charge apparently it was to far gone for the tender to bring back. Now even when using the key the rear hatch only opens partially but not enough for it to release and allow me access. This is on a 2016 Z, I have had the car parked at a friends shop for a couple months due to construction at my house and I just forgot to put the tender on it.
Has anyone seen this where the hatch will not open and what do I need to do to get this to release. It is like the electric part of the latch will not release due to no power.
Thanks
The key is mechanical. IF it were any part electrical it would be useless with a dead battery. If it pops partially, use a plastic trim tool to pry it gentle up to gain access.

Also, battery maintainers maintain a good battery. They do NOT have the means to recharge a dead battery.

Replace your battery and use the maintainer more religiously. I plug mine in immediately after I pull into the garage.

Elmer
Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
The key is mechanical. IF it were any part electrical it would be useless with a dead battery. If it pops partially, use a plastic trim tool to pry it gentle up to gain access.

Also, battery maintainers maintain a good battery. They do NOT have the means to recharge a dead battery.

Replace your battery and use the maintainer more religiously. I plug mine in immediately after I pull into the garage.

Elmer

This has an electric pull down when you close it. I tried a trim tool but it doesn’t want to let loose.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:55 AM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jon c

This has an electric pull down when you close it. I tried a trim tool but it doesn’t want to let loose.

i just went and tried a little little larger trim tool and it came open. Thanks
Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Bingo!

Get notified of new replies

To Dead battery

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead battery