C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found coolant very low

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Found coolant very low

so, my fan was coming on frequently and after only a couple of blocks. My coolant temp gauge was also moving a lot during driving. I checked the overflow / surge tank and saw it was just about empty. I mixed up dexcool coolant 40% with 60% water and now the temp gauge stays around 200 (a little under or over). I filled to a hair under the cold fill line.

its been 90 degrees plus during my commutes for the past few weeks. Has anyone experienced coolant loss in a closed system? Nobody’s touched the car except for oil changes done by the dealer and myself.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I definitely have some kind of leak. I filled yesterday and checked this morning and the surge tank is about as empty as it was when I filled yesterday. Just to be sure, since the owners manual says not to fill above the 'cold fill' line, there should be some in the tank when cold ?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Probably a lot or air bubbles in the system. Fill your tank again and see if it continues to drop. There definitely should be coolant in the tank hot or cold. The C7 uses 60% water/40% DexCool.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

It wasn't bubbles in the system to begin with. You don't say how quickly the issue develped, but it had to go somewhere and will continue to do so. Time for a careful inspection, top, bottom, over, and under. Where you don't want to find it is in the oil-pan or steam in the exhaust.

Check the level every time you drive it. All the best!

Last edited by Avanti; 08-12-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
It wasn't bubbles in the system to begin with. You don't say how quickly the issue develped, but it had to go somewhere and will continue to do so. Time for a careful inspection, top, bottom, over, and under. Where you don't want to find it is in the oil-pan or steam in the exhaust.

Check the level every time you drive it. All the best!
I agree just remember look back of the oil pan & move to the front of the car the wind you push the coolant to the back of the leak. Robert
Old 08-12-2018, 07:59 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default filling engine coolant expansion tank

Originally Posted by tcinla
I definitely have some kind of leak. I filled yesterday and checked this morning and the surge tank is about as empty as it was when I filled yesterday. Just to be sure, since the owners manual says not to fill above the 'cold fill' line, there should be some in the tank when cold ?
II fill the expansion tank to the top when cold. When the coolant expands, some will go out the overflow tube. when the engine cools down the coolant level goes down. I haven't had any problem doing this with several vehicles in which I could not tell where the dang "cold fill line" was. If there is a potential problem with that, I would be happy to have someone explain it to me.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If you suspect a leak take it to an autoparts store and have them use a leak detector to see if there is one. Most stores will do this in hopes of selling you something to stop the leak if there is one. If they don't actually do the leak detection themselves AutoZone more than likely will loan a leak detector to you under their Loan A Tool Program.

Bill
Old 08-13-2018, 05:39 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Is the car stock? Drain your oil immediately and see if it's milky. Coolant doesn't just vanish.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:34 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a service appointment setup for this week. Hopefully, if there is an issue found, they'll fix it. The warranty is good for a little while longer
Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
I have a service appointment setup for this week. Hopefully, if there is an issue found, they'll fix it. The warranty is good for a little while longer
Make sure they or you change the oil...Seriously. It's either a physical leak which you'd see, or a head gasket which you'd also see smoking like crazy, or a cracked head and coolant is all in the oil.

Last thing you need is the oil getting watered down and you mess up some pistons. Ask me how I know....

The following users liked this post:
tcinla (08-14-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

GM makes a harmless dye which can be added to the coolant and shows up under black light, to help find leaks.
They make a similar product for oil leaks.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:09 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally got around to having the dealer look at it while getting an oil change. Turned out to be a bad thermostat. Replaced under warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Found coolant very low

Quick Reply: Found coolant very low