C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads: Hawk DTC70/60 to Carbotech/PFC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:15 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brake pads: Hawk DTC70/60 to Carbotech/PFC?

I'm currently running Hawk pads DTC 70/60 front/rear on my oem c7gs rotors, but I'd like to go to Carbotech or PFC for my next set. My tires are r888r 315/335 f/r, and I do 15-25min sprints during club trackdays.
Any advice on the best pad options? (Not to overly complicate, but since the front and rear pads won't wear out at the same time, if there are equivalents in Carbotech/PFC that will allow me to swap out one end at a time, that would be icing on the cake.) Much thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by archfarseer
I'm currently running Hawk pads DTC 70/60 front/rear on my oem c7gs rotors, but I'd like to go to Carbotech or PFC for my next set. My tires are r888r 315/335 f/r, and I do 15-25min sprints during club trackdays.
Any advice on the best pad options? (Not to overly complicate, but since the front and rear pads won't wear out at the same time, if there are equivalents in Carbotech/PFC that will allow me to swap out one end at a time, that would be icing on the cake.) Much thanks!
Unfortunately I would not recommend using 2 different pad manufactures I'm not saying it hasn't been done but not my flavor.. Do you trailer the car to the track and do you keep your track pads on for street use?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-21-2018, 02:55 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Unfortunately I would not recommend using 2 different pad manufactures I'm not saying it hasn't been done but not my flavor.. Do you trailer the car to the track and do you keep your track pads on for street use?
Adam, I currently drive to/from the track and keep the pads on (tw200 tires kept on too). However I don't do much street driving other than that during track season. Off-season I drive with oem pads and MSS tires.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Adam, I currently drive to/from the track and keep the pads on (tw200 tires kept on too). However I don't do much street driving other than that during track season. Off-season I drive with oem pads and MSS tires.
OK. I would run Carbotech XP20 front XP10 rear. This will be aggressive as the Hawks but way more rotor friendly in the long run you will end up saving money on rotors. If interested let me know a pad description is below.

]

Carbotech™ XP20™

The latest iteration of the highly successful XP™ series of compounds. XP20™ is a step up from the highly successful XP16™ compound. With an extremely aggressive initial bite, linear torque curve and excellent fade resistance the XP20™ is another major step in progression of the highly successful XP™ series line of compounds from Carbotech™. XP20™ has a temperature range of 275°F to 2000°F+ (135°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP20™ maintains our tradition of having the outstanding release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP20™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:29 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

I've used PFC-08s and 11s. 11s. were similar to DTC70 and 08s were similar to DTC60s, but they last longer.

I've also had terrible experience swapping pads between vendors. Especially if they've been properly bedded in. I know Hawk DTC60s and Cool Carbon brake pads did not like each other. I ended up having to hose down the rotors, let rust set overnight, then going out with some new DTC60 pads and stomping on them cold to get the surface cleaned off.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:41 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

Originally Posted by The HACK
I've used PFC-08s and 11s. 11s. were similar to DTC70 and 08s were similar to DTC60s, but they last longer.

I've also had terrible experience swapping pads between vendors. Especially if they've been properly bedded in. I know Hawk DTC60s and Cool Carbon brake pads did not like each other. I ended up having to hose down the rotors, let rust set overnight, then going out with some new DTC60 pads and stomping on them cold to get the surface cleaned off.
Thank you. I will add that to the list. I may try the Carbotech 20/10 combo first.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
OK. I would run Carbotech XP20 front XP10 rear. This will be aggressive as the Hawks but way more rotor friendly in the long run you will end up saving money on rotors. If interested let me know a pad description is below.

]

Carbotech™ XP20™

The latest iteration of the highly successful XP™ series of compounds. XP20™ is a step up from the highly successful XP16™ compound. With an extremely aggressive initial bite, linear torque curve and excellent fade resistance the XP20™ is another major step in progression of the highly successful XP™ series line of compounds from Carbotech™. XP20™ has a temperature range of 275°F to 2000°F+ (135°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP20™ maintains our tradition of having the outstanding release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP20™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
Thank you. I will likely try that as my next pair. I will contact you when closer to time.
Newbie question: By Xp20/10 combo rather than a Xp20/12 combo?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thank you. I will likely try that as my next pair. I will contact you when closer to time.
Newbie question: By Xp20/10 combo rather than a Xp20/12 combo?
I suggest 10 to start because I don't know if your rear will get hot enough for the 12 to come into its heat range to work properly. You can always move up if you feel you need more in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
archfarseer (08-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads: Hawk DTC70/60 to Carbotech/PFC?

Quick Reply: Brake pads: Hawk DTC70/60 to Carbotech/PFC?