C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 Factory Driveshaft & Differential Power Limits

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:16 PM
prince8619
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default C7 Z51 Factory Driveshaft & Differential Power Limits

Pretty much what the title says.
What are the limits on the stock driveshaft and differential when it comes to HP levels, of course wheel HP.

I live in Coloraro Denver and currently I am at 712rwhp SAE corrected.
Took it to the drag strip this summer and struggled to get traction with my Pirelli PZero's.

Next year I'm wanting to get a set of wheels and tires just for the drag strip.
I'm wondering if my Driveshaft and Differential wont go to **** with stickier tires.
Since I live in Colorado and with out high Air Density, I know my car isn't putting down 712whp at this altitude. So I'm thinking that it should be able to handle it.

I was looking into Nitto NT01, NT05 or Toyo R888. I dont want to run a true drag slick, since I want to be able to drive the car back home.

What do you guys think? Opinions?

Last edited by prince8619; 11-02-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:28 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by prince8619
Pretty much what the title says.
What are the limits on the stock driveshaft and differential when it comes to HP levels, of course wheel HP.

I live in Coloraro Denver and currently I am at 712rwhp SAE corrected.
Took it to the drag strip this summer and struggled to get traction with my Pirelli PZero's.

Next year I'm wanting to get a set of wheels and tires just for the drag strip.
I'm wondering if my Driveshaft and Differential wont go to **** with stickier tires.
Since I live in Colorado and with out high Air Density, I know my car isn't putting down 712whp at this altitude. So I'm thinking that it should be able to handle it.

I was looking into Nitto NT01, NT05 or Toyo R888. I dont want to run a true drag slick, since I want to be able to drive the car back home.

What do you guys think? Opinions?
If your car is not a z06 you will be walking the line at air density to breaking a ring & piston in the car.. Plus at close to 650 rwhp with a good rear tire set up the spider gears in your rear end will be the first to go. Then the half shafts in the car then the axles this will also have a lot to do with if your car is a stick or A8 transmission.

I am doing a all forged motor now but stock CI with a A/A TI with a 3.4 pulley on it with a BTR stage II cam with a 38% fuel increase with the LT4 inj & pump & set of 2 15 meth on it also. I also have RPM wavetrac set up in the rear end with 3:42 gears with 300 mm harden half shaft with a set of E-FORCE axles. I have & also on the new set be putting in a NEW C.F. driveshaft with no rubber couplers on it also.

Also very nice looking car but if me you do at least need a set of forged drop in piston in your car with those new D/R tire set up. Also look at doing at least a set of MT DR in a 18 inch rim if you are even hope to half *** hook that car up even with 650 rwhp. A 19 r sure not a 20 inch tire will not do it at all. Just not enough side hall for it..

Last edited by robert miller; 11-03-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:16 AM
prince8619
Racer

Originally Posted by robert miller
If your car is not a z06 you will be walking the line at air density to breaking a ring & piston in the car.. Plus at close to 650 rwhp with a good rear tire set up the spider gears in your rear end will be the first to go. Then the half shafts in the car then the axles this will also have a lot to do with if your car is a stick or A8 transmission.

I am doing a all forged motor now but stock CI with a A/A TI with a 3.4 pulley on it with a BTR stage II cam with a 38% fuel increase with the LT4 inj & pump & set of 2 15 meth on it also. I also have RPM wavetrac set up in the rear end with 3:42 gears with 300 mm harden half shaft with a set of E-FORCE axles. I have & also on the new set be putting in a NEW C.F. driveshaft with no rubber couplers on it also.

Also very nice looking car but if me you do at least need a set of forged drop in piston in your car with those new D/R tire set up. Also look at doing at least a set of MT DR in a 18 inch rim if you are even hope to half *** hook that car up even with 650 rwhp. A 19 r sure not a 20 inch tire will not do it at all. Just not enough side hall for it..
Many have Supercharged their C7s and are pushing similar HP numbers without doing any the internals. I believe I read somewhere that that limit is closer to 800 whp, before its really a need to do the forged pistons.
I've been running this setup issues free for a year now.

I have the A6 and it's been amazing, very responsive and its tuned as well.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Many have Supercharged their C7s and are pushing similar HP numbers without doing any the internals. I believe I read somewhere that that limit is closer to 800 whp, before its really a need to do the forged pistons.
I've been running this setup issues free for a year now.

I have the A6 and it's been amazing, very responsive and its tuned as well.
<700 rwhp actually. There are people here that have blown the engine at that power level. You're there already. Any minute now. But it's your choice. $1200 + labor in pistons or the entire short block.

I don't have anything to say about your actual question though. Although I haven't seen anyone on here complain about the differential giving out.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 11-05-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 AM
prince8619
Racer

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
<700 rwhp actually. There are people here that have blown the engine at that power level. You're there already. Any minute now. But it's your choice. $1200 + labor in pistons or the entire short block.

I don't have anything to say about your actual question though. Although I haven't seen anyone on here complain about the differential giving out.
I get your concerns..but remember that my 712 rwhp is at sea level. Those are dyno SAE corrected numbers. In Colorado due to the elevation of being up at 5,300 feet..my hp level is not 712, their is a sagnificate HP drop due to Air Density and elevation. Now if I took the car to sea level, yes the 712 rwhp is what my car would make.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Anything over 650rwhp and you are on borrowed time. Anything over 600rwhp is risking it. You may know someone who has a car that makes 700rwhp and is holding up, but do they drive it often and how hard do they drive it? I know people on stock Z51 clutches with a turbo pushing 700+ rwhp, but they drive the car like its a Prius and never get on the throttle. The only time the car has seen WOT is on the dyno.

If you drive your car hard or race it, it will break. Remember this thread when it pops. You will wish you had done drop in pistons.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:06 PM
prince8619
Racer

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
Anything over 650rwhp and you are on borrowed time. Anything over 600rwhp is risking it. You may know someone who has a car that makes 700rwhp and is holding up, but do they drive it often and how hard do they drive it? I know people on stock Z51 clutches with a turbo pushing 700+ rwhp, but they drive the car like its a Prius and never get on the throttle. The only time the car has seen WOT is on the dyno.

If you drive your car hard or race it, it will break. Remember this thread when it pops. You will wish you had done drop in pistons.
I completely disagree. When I did my setup and I talked to Andy at A&A, as well as this forum, and other C7 owners, this is a safe setup..especially at my elevation. I drive my car hard at times, sometimes hard for an hour or two... I dont in any way baby it. No overhearing problems driving all summer in 90F weather and pushing it. I've had this setup for over one year now issue free.

Now of course some want to be extra careful swap the pistons. Many are running this HP level and more, with no change to the internals.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:10 PM
prince8619
Racer

My concern isn't the engine and internal. I posted this thread to get educated on the transmission and drive shaft. Sone have said that with very sticky tires (drag slicks) even on a stock Z06, which is at 560 whp or so, have bend and warped the Driveshaft.

I'm trying to avoid that and I was also told to not go full slicks..since with that much torque, some wheel spin is necessary to avoid drivetrain issues.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:22 PM
prince8619
Racer

Read this thread that talks about C7 LT1 hp limits. Many are running at and over 700whp.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tor-limit.html

Last edited by prince8619; 11-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:23 PM
prince8619
Racer

Read this thread. LT1 hp limits. Many run it issue free at and over 700rwhp
Old 11-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Osman
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Read this thread. LT1 hp limits. Many run it issue free at and over 700rwhp
That thread is from 2015, not much was known back then..
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t1-handle.html
try that one.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM
prince8619
Racer

Originally Posted by Osman
That thread is from 2015, not much was known back then..
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t1-handle.html
try that one.
Not much of a thread with 9 total comments.
And yes that thread was started in 2015 and has had many comments recent as well.

I even had a talk with A&A and they didn't think it was a concern. Yes eventually i probably will replace the pistons just in case, but not really worried. Earlier this year when I did the install, I was more worried about blowing out seals dude to crank case pressure, but has been issue free and i did a catch can just in case and changed all the air lines to 5/8.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Hey maybe you will be one of the lucky ones. Wish you the best!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:53 AM
prince8619
Racer

Hey maybe you will be one of the lucky ones. Wish you the best!
Hopefully I didn't jinx myself lol thanks tho.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

I have yet to do an aftermarket unit or have the need to on any of our customer's C7/C7Z cars and many are doing high mph 1/2 mile runs as well as launching on a prepped track. you should be fine on your setup

- David @ Vengeance
Old 11-08-2018, 02:19 PM
prince8619
Racer

Originally Posted by David@Vengeance
I have yet to do an aftermarket unit or have the need to on any of our customer's C7/C7Z cars and many are doing high mph 1/2 mile runs as well as launching on a prepped track. you should be fine on your setup

- David @ Vengeance
Thank you very much. I've been waiting for some feedback.

BTW.. do you know what the limits on the DS are and what kind of WHP cars are you seeing that are still running thr stock DS?
Old 11-08-2018, 03:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default Ttt

Again here I have seen guys in here at 700 plus rwhp out of the rear end on the spider gears. This car only has two of them very weak point in the rear end. There is a guy are two in here that has cut down the c6 spider set up & have been putting 4 spider gear into this rear end. THIS WILL WORK FROM ALL I HAVE HEARD & SEEN IN HERE. I did the other & got a wavetrac from RPM transmission in here that is a vendor..

A few guys in here have also broke the longer one in the two half shafts that are coming out of the side's that the axles hook up to in the rear.. But from what these guys have posts have been 750 plus at rwhp on the spider gear and half shaft break. THE REAR END THAT HOLDS THE SPIDER GEARS NO. Robert
Old 11-30-2023, 08:04 PM
RobBeacon
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got my car back from the shop brand new factory diff z51 car making around 700 wheel. Something in the diff gave out today. I’m really glad I wasn’t romping on it when it decided to let go. Cars going to be sitting a while now as I depleted the car fund.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 Factory Driveshaft & Differential Power Limits

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 Factory Driveshaft & Differential Power Limits