C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 460-480 rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 356 Posts
Default LT1 460-480 rwhp

Hey guys,

I'm contemplating mods in the future, could be as soon this coming spring, could be when my warranty expires, not sure yet. I have a Grand Sport (A8) and think it would be perfect with 530-550 crank hp or 460-480 rwhp. I'm looking to stay NA as I don't want to go over 600 crank (I think its a little too much) and forced induction seems to push these guys well over 600 to start but I understand going forced induction can be a cost effective way to gain hp. This is my first Corvette and I've never done mods before so I'm new to this sort of thing, if anything I've said sounds weird please correct me, I'd love to learn.

I'm assuming a stock Grand Sport A8 making 395rwhp.

CAI
Headers (long tube or mid length? catted or no cats?)
Ported Throttle body
X-pipe
Tune

I would get a baseline dyno first completely stock and then get the above installed and tuned and do a final dyno run to compare. Would the above mentioned get me 60rwhp? Are there any other mods I should consider adding to this list that don't break the bank? What do you all think about long tube vs mid length headers and catted vs no cats in terms of hp increase. I'd like to stay catted if possible just to avoid all the emissions hoop jumping. Would 60rwhp be possible with the above using mid length headers and cats or do you think I'd have to go long tube and no cats. I'm personally leaning towards 1 7/8' long tubes with cats.

At the moment I would keep the stock NPP exhaust but there could be potential that I'd add an exhaust later, possibly Corsa. I think some exhausts might be more work then others to install if I've already added the above mentioned parts, feel free to correct me on this. Just something I'm keeping in mind if maybe a year after these mods go in I want to add an exhaust and would appreciate any input.

In terms of price, assuming all the above gets me 530+ crank hp (460rwhp) NA what would I be looking at in comparison to the cheapest forced induction system and how much hp would that give me. As much as I'd like to stay NA and get near 550 crank, I know it gets exceedingly cost ineffective to stay NA and that at a certain point forced induction just makes the most sense for hp per dollar, I'm just trying to see what both options would cost to see if its even worth my time and money to stay NA when for example another 2k could get me 650hp from forced induction.

Appreciate any information you guys can give!

Last edited by Exia; 11-24-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:37 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Get a ported intake & a ported 95 T.B. from edgyvette vendor in here,, Then get a set of LG stepped down LT headers that is 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers 3 inch mid pipe with NO BACK CATS,,, Then a good cold air intake & filter also. This will be about it other then a tune but make sure you do your searching for a GOOD tuner,, ANY old tuner r a so call tuner is a dime a dozen. A good tuner that REALLY knows what he is doing is TRULY hard to find..

On the headers if you are only going N/A the 1 3/4 to 1 3/8 will give you more low end tq for sure.. Big is not always better on this stuff.. Robert
Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 PM
LBRc7
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

From the threads I've read through I doubt you will reach those numbers. 430-440rwhp is possible. If you want to reach the 460-480rwhp range you would need some sort of cam or head work. Then you are getting into forced induction price ranges.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:51 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 898 Likes on 540 Posts

Check out Poppacapp’s threads. He did E85, 2” ARH, MSD, ported throttle body and Halltech. Made 489/498 before ported heads. Made 508/514 with the heads ported. Stock cam.
Pray Performance did the work.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:07 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I converted my bolt on C7 base model Auto car to run on E85 fuel----On the dyno it made almost 30 more RWHP No cam or heads
Mods :
CAI AFE
Ported T Body
Ported Intake manifold
Muffler less cat back exhaust
Ported STOCK exhaust manifolds
EFILIVE full tune
Old 11-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
I converted my bolt on C7 base model Auto car to run on E85 fuel----On the dyno it made almost 30 more RWHP No cam or heads
Mods :
CAI AFE
Ported T Body
Ported Intake manifold
Muffler less cat back exhaust
Ported STOCK exhaust manifolds
EFILIVE full tune
Sadly E85 isn't readily available in my neck of the woods or I'd consider it. How much was your C7 with the bolt ons making before it ran on E85?

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 460-480 rwhp

Quick Reply: LT1 460-480 rwhp