C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aFe CF Intake vs. Vararam

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts
Default aFe CF Intake vs. Vararam

Will I notice any difference in performance if I change out my Vararam CAI for the CF Momentum aFe?
Thanks.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Someone must have an educated opinion on this.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 PM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Will I notice any difference in performance if I change out my Vararam CAI for the CF Momentum aFe?
Thanks.
Other than possibly the sound, no.
The following 2 users liked this post by taz2016:
Avanti (02-12-2019), Matthewstorm (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:41 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Thanks.
Let me see if I can help you on this .
In our flow bench testing the intake in question flowed 238.8 CFM vs 252.68 CFM for the VR @ only 1.5inches of water.
In real world use the VR cools down faster and delivers higher velocity airflow as can be seen in a MAP pressure Data Log.

When we see 18-20 deg differences or more in real world use and MAP pressure numbers that are up to a half pound higher than the competition ,That will make you stand up and take notice . None of that happens on the Dyno because a Dyno is not the road , no matter how you cut it. The load is simply not the same , unless you think you can put your car in 4th gear drop to 2,500RPM floor it and in 4 -5 seconds hit 6,000RPM and 140+ MPH . If your car can do that on the road , I want your car!
Plus, who drives around with the motor cool , the hood open and a fan blowing in front of and over the car helping to feed the intake system? Nobody.

In the end on a "stock LT-1" tune for tune etc.. there is only about 18hp to be had. There is a chance to gain far more Torque than power . That's why we guarantee that gain. My personal car saw 23HP over 10 pulls.
One intake vs another testing on a dyno without looking at throttle positions and AFR numbers and a host of other info is a waste of time .
Some intakes lean the cars down dramatically and pull a great number on the dyno during a test . Only to have the ECM learn it out in 75 miles after the dyno test. Then the car feels flat again. We engineered to keep the AFR close to OEM + or - 1-2%. I have seen some intakes dip into the 13.0-13.20 to one range , hold timing temporarily , then by pull 3-4 start pulling it out and richening the AFR. It depends on the amount of load from the dyno/ type of dyno etc...
We do 12-16 second pulls ( watch the video) it sounds like the Rods are about to come out of it!
On the road it will pull it from the moment you hit WOT. You simply have to be aware of what the stock ECM program is doing and how it reacts.
A good custom tune is always a good idea once you have all the parts you wanted on the car.
Lots of great tuners out here on the forum.
Hope this helps
VR tech
The following 3 users liked this post by VaraRam Industries:
Bruce0293 (12-04-2018), dcw70 (04-28-2023), Matthewstorm (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 01:38 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

The AFE CF does look nicer.

-Josh
Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Bruce0293
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
In our flow bench testing the intake in question flowed 238.8 CFM vs 252.68 CFM for the VR @ only 1.5inches of water.
In real world use the VR cools down faster and delivers higher velocity airflow as can be seen in a MAP pressure Data Log.

When we see 18-20 deg differences or more in real world use and MAP pressure numbers that are up to a half pound higher than the competition ,That will make you stand up and take notice . None of that happens on the Dyno because a Dyno is not the road , no matter how you cut it. The load is simply not the same , unless you think you can put your car in 4th gear drop to 2,500RPM floor it and in 4 -5 seconds hit 6,000RPM and 140+ MPH . If your car can do that on the road , I want your car!
Plus, who drives around with the motor cool , the hood open and a fan blowing in front of and over the car helping to feed the intake system? Nobody.

In the end on a "stock LT-1" tune for tune etc.. there is only about 18hp to be had. There is a chance to gain far more Torque than power . That's why we guarantee that gain. My personal car saw 23HP over 10 pulls.
One intake vs another testing on a dyno without looking at throttle positions and AFR numbers and a host of other info is a waste of time .
Some intakes lean the cars down dramatically and pull a great number on the dyno during a test . Only to have the ECM learn it out in 75 miles after the dyno test. Then the car feels flat again. We engineered to keep the AFR close to OEM + or - 1-2%. I have seen some intakes dip into the 13.0-13.20 to one range , hold timing temporarily , then by pull 3-4 start pulling it out and richening the AFR. It depends on the amount of load from the dyno/ type of dyno etc...
We do 12-16 second pulls ( watch the video) it sounds like the Rods are about to come out of it!
On the road it will pull it from the moment you hit WOT. You simply have to be aware of what the stock ECM program is doing and how it reacts.
A good custom tune is always a good idea once you have all the parts you wanted on the car.
Hope this helps
VR tech
VR Tech (name?) :-),

I have recently purchased your 'cold air' as well as ARH 1 7/8 long tube, catted. Would you kindly give me an approximate gain, before and after a tune. If you could give me a guestimate (NOT holding you to this) number it would be appreciated. I know tunes vary, so lets assume a good one with AF ratios in safe ranges.

2017 GS, stock otherwise

sincerely
Bruce
Old 12-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I have the Vararam installed on my LT1 and I did baseline 1/4 testing before and after keeping track of temps and DA
Its not about HP gains on a dyno and all about delivering all the HP that the car can make
The ECM starts to pull timing at 85 degrees IAT my logs proved that down here in the south mine was pulling a lot of timing and after the install ....it was not.
With a 2500 DA and outside temps in the 90's on a track that had marginal grip I was running at best 12.2 .....consistantly using Launch control to reduce that variable as my 60 ft times stayed the same at 1.7 on stock runflats
Same DA Same track same temps but added the Vararam and the first run out of the gate was a 11.9. 1.7 60 ft time with several more 11 second runs as the night progressed
I measured the same type of results with my C6 before and after the Vararam installation

This made a believer out of me , i love my VARARAM

Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I have the Vararam installed on my LT1 and I did baseline 1/4 testing before and after keeping track of temps and DA
Its not about HP gains on a dyno and all about delivering all the HP that the car can make
The ECM starts to pull timing at 85 degrees IAT my logs proved that down here in the south mine was pulling a lot of timing and after the install ....it was not.
With a 2500 DA and outside temps in the 90's on a track that had marginal grip I was running at best 12.2 .....consistantly using Launch control to reduce that variable as my 60 ft times stayed the same at 1.7 on stock runflats
Same DA Same track same temps but added the Vararam and the first run out of the gate was a 11.9. 1.7 60 ft time with several more 11 second runs as the night progressed
I measured the same type of results with my C6 before and after the Vararam installation

Dave
Great Job!
I Love to see customers using their C7's for something other than waxing !

VR tech
The following users liked this post:
dcw70 (04-28-2023)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Great Job!
I Love to see customers using their C7's for something other than waxing !

VR tech
And sometimes it even gets wet lol lol
Never had one once of problem with my snake charmer on my C6 as far as fit or installation and the IAT reduction was substantial but I was not sure how the design of the C7 was going to match the snake charmer

Like I said above , the C7 Vararam has exceeded my expectations not to mention the sound that the intake track makes now is so cool that I find myself pressing hard on the gas pedal just to hear it

Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Yes, the sucking vacuum sound from the secondary entrance at initial -1/4 throttle input is a welcome addition.
After all ,...if its not pulling from 90% outside air ,its never going to get cold air in a 185 deg engine compartment.
When I get back from PRI , I will have them update the data section to show the data logs from the LT-1 and we will start sneaking out LT-4 data as well.
You will see 20-30 deg differences "inside the plenum of the manifold " between intakes on the road ,even at WOT when they should be pulling cool air.
Heck, they are Hotter than factory by up to 20 deg!
Anything they gained from flow was lost to heat soak.
Enjoy the power!

VR Tech
Old 12-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Looking forward to your next post . As soon as our track opens back up in April I will also update the posts with some data logs

Dave
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Johnsz51
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have problems with CEL or engine lights? I read a lot about intakes doing this on the LT-1. I had the Vararam on my c6 seems to work good but on the fence with my 17.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Johnsz51
Does anyone have problems with CEL or engine lights? I read a lot about intakes doing this on the LT-1. I had the Vararam on my c6 seems to work good but on the fence with my 17.
John , I answered in the other post, my initial CEL was only because I did not allow enough time for the ECM to adjust short term and Long term fuel trims . My Vararam had no been on my car for a few months and many runs down the quarter mile and I have not had any issues at all .

Plus it's much easier to install than the C6 . Also do not unplug the MAF sensor during installation , just unscrew it and transfer it over . There are many posts about this setting a cel because you should disconnect the battery. I chose not to ....

Plus you just can't beat the sound that the engine makes now

Just like your C6, go for it , you will not regret

Dave
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 AM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Hope this helps
VR tech
Curious about your 13.0:1 air fuel reading. If no tune changes were made the car will still command the same Air fuel(PE) that was in the tune at WOT. The difference would come from MAF transfer function error due to generally an increase in tube diameter at the sensor..So stock with minimal error the commanded lambda(EQ ratio) will be fairly close to final lambda shown on the wideband. With a maf curve that is off the commanded will not match final and as in your example, the car would still be commanding ie .85 but gets .90 final.. which is leaner, due to the maf curve error. That would need to be corrected in the tune and Air fuel will fall in line with commanded. As is known by most tuners, MAF flow lb/min can be altered with a uncorrected MAF curve and read false numbers.

My Halltech did fairly decent on my bolton Grand Sport A8 setup. My MAF error is pretty close to 0% error @ WOT and I see 54.5ish lb/min MAF, 9340-9350hz peak MAF flow, Hold 99-100kpa all the way to shift point at 6500+rpm. This is from street logs on 93 octane.. not dyno pulls. The true test of how a particular Intake makes power on a consistent combo is to correct the MAF error for each product, and leave PE, and spark at the exact same levels IMO.

Honeslty there is no more than a few hp between all CAIs. It should not be the centerpiece of the system.. but just a piece of the puzzle for the whole car. All of the products currently out are "Good" imo.

Last edited by Poppacapp; 02-14-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 AM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole

Dave
Just a note Dave, but there are other factors within the tune that will pull timing other than IAT advance. Coolant Temp will pull timing also.. so if you were over 200degrees ECT on one pull and under 200 on another, the pull would be less. You can log all the advance PIDs, like coolant advance, iat advance, Torque management advance etc... and they will all give you a negative or positive value. negative obviously is pulling timing. I personally log lots of PIDs so I can see what is going on all the time. Hell, I do datalogs if I am just running to the store in the car lol
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 AM
goec2468
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope this helps
VR tech
I neither have a Vararam, nor another CAI installed and to be honest I struggle to believe in measurable performance gains via a CAI for the LT1.
The C7 uses the same intake like the Z06 that obviously needs significantly more air (in that context a question: Is the stock ZR1 intake any different?).
Maybe it is a bit on the "small" side for the Z06, but GM would not use it, if it was a significant bottleneck for the Z06.
This would be too easy of a performance gain for GM to leave on the table.
Therefore I can't believe that the intake is a significant restriction on the LT1.

The stock and all aftermarket CAI's suck the air from the same position, from underneith the car.
Here Vararam is different, but both positions are "cold air", as long as the car is driving.
From a stand still on a hot day, Vararam could have a benefit in terms of cold air, but I don't know if the temperatures underneith the car (Standing stil) are much different from the temps over the Hood (ambient).

Another benefit I could see is, that the path of the air is a bit shorter for the Vararam (on the upper side).
When you then open the throttle, the additional demand of air could hit the engine sooner.
This is theory, but I don't know if there is a measurable difference.

Other than that I struggle to see a benefit for Vararam.
When you drive WOT on a straight street for a period of time, I can not see how Vararam can generate more power.

Maybe I missed something, in that case a a technical explanation where and why would be great.

Regards

Götz

Last edited by goec2468; 02-12-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

...be nice to have a VaraRam intake for the LT4...

Get notified of new replies

To aFe CF Intake vs. Vararam

Quick Reply: aFe CF Intake vs. Vararam