C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 throttle body response, getting to know it

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick
Just ordered one for my 2019 Z06 - figured with the 30 day return policy - there's no real risk to trying this out.

If it does fix that hesitation / wants to stall off the line - then WIN... if not - it can go back for the refund.

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

I'll report back after I get the TB and install and test... probably another thread and I'll ink it here for future reference
It'll work. Installed one on m y 2019Z with barely 300 miles on the clock. I have been driving manuals for 25 years. I cant tell you the last time I stalled a manual. I stalled my new Z 3 times the first time I drove it. I felt like a dork. The Soler MTB totally transformed my car and made it drive/respond the way it is meant to.

I am one happy customer.
The following 2 users liked this post by ssmith512:
fishpick (05-20-2019), Krenath (05-31-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 PM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith512
It'll work. Installed one on m y 2019Z with barely 300 miles on the clock. I have been driving manuals for 25 years. I cant tell you the last time I stalled a manual. I stalled my new Z 3 times the first time I drove it. I felt like a dork. The Soler MTB totally transformed my car and made it drive/respond the way it is meant to.
I am one happy customer.
I’m optimistically skeptical - but I know on my old Mustang the difference the TB made with my Whipple. And the vendor Mike seems like he’s smart. And people seem to like ported TBs and this one even more. So - I figured why not!

your review tho makes me very excited. I haven’t stalled but I feel off the line like the thing is a pig. And I had some issues at a HPDE event trying to just feather throttle in the uphill turns not to accelerate but hold speed - so - I’m hoping this is the ticket!

i have 3k miles on mine so far and love just about everything about the car. Except throttle tip in
Old 05-20-2019, 05:38 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

And I had some issues at a HPDE event trying to just feather throttle in the uphill turns not to accelerate but hold speed - so - I’m hoping this is the ticket!
It'll fix that too. As an ex HPDE Instructor, I'd like to think I know a little bit about fine throttle control. I didnt have it before Soler, I have it now. Made for driving near or at the "limit" much more repeatable.
The following 3 users liked this post by ssmith512:
fishpick (05-20-2019), Krenath (05-31-2019), Mike@SolerEngr (05-20-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Merlin803
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith512
It'll fix that too. As an ex HPDE Instructor, I'd like to think I know a little bit about fine throttle control. I didnt have it before Soler, I have it now. Made for driving near or at the "limit" much more repeatable.
That's interesting, I have had my C7 manual (2017 w/ about 7,000 miles on it, so not a new clutch really) for about a couple months now and stalled for the first time today when stuck in a "move a few inches at a time" traffic jam where you never really get going fast enough to give it any/much gas. You are saying that this will make that an easier situation to drive in?
Old 05-22-2019, 10:33 AM
fishpick
Instructor

@Mike@SolerEngr curious to hear your input on this comment by @TurboLX (a tuner) and the available mapping in the ECU/PCM tables... given the actual air flow mapping and other work you have done on the TB itself...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599440787

Clearly the folks that have bought / installed your TB "see" results...

Or is the context of this comment in a "tuned" environment - for other mods?

(let me clarify - I know the TB itself that comes in the mail today is "tune free" plug and play - but the default tables he references still come into play - so I'm curious about thoughts on this... I know little about tuning a GM... but I learned a ton tuning my Coyote... so - I'm struggling with how the modified TB works if the tuner says the tables don't understand... clearly the ECU interpolates values... I'm just trying to understand how this system works

Last edited by fishpick; 05-22-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add comments for clarity of question
Old 05-22-2019, 11:55 AM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

@Mike@SolerEngr curious to hear your input on this comment by @TurboLX (a tuner) and the available mapping in the ECU/PCM tables... given the actual air flow mapping and other work you have done on the TB itself...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599440787

Clearly the folks that have bought / installed your TB "see" results...

Or is the context of this comment in a "tuned" environment - for other mods?

(let me clarify - I know the TB itself that comes in the mail today is "tune free" plug and play - but the default tables he references still come into play - so I'm curious about thoughts on this... I know little about tuning a GM... but I learned a ton tuning my Coyote... so - I'm struggling with how the modified TB works if the tuner says the tables don't understand... clearly the ECU interpolates values... I'm just trying to understand how this system works

I’ve had my Solar TB on For a few weeks now.... it definitely does something there’s no way you can’t notice it . The biggest difference I personally notice Between a stock TB and my new solar TB is a much tighter faster reacting clutch pedal. In my opinion it makes it much easier to stall the car. That being said I actually really like it so......,,
seems 10 People Could Drive the same car and end up with 10 different opinions on how the car acts and drives.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:59 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Driving on the freeway yesterday I decided to look at the real time fuel economy Function as I was driving.
Cruising in sixth gear I was amazed to see 33 to 35 miles per gallon I’ve never seen that good of gas mileage unless going down hills and then of course it goes way up... with the oem TB same Circumstances I would see upper 20s to low 30s freeway cruising .

Does this solar TB actually increase fuel economy ???? Or is this just a false reading for some reason?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm almost 100% sure it's a false reading caused by smaller throttle angle for the same airflow due to the different throttle body. Mine indicates upper 30s fairly often and I've never seen actual mileage better than 29
Old 05-23-2019, 05:15 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Interesting .....that makes sense.
Although I would have figured the ECM relearn would’ve accounted for that ?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
Driving on the freeway yesterday I decided to look at the real time fuel economy Function as I was driving.
Cruising in sixth gear I was amazed to see 33 to 35 miles per gallon I’ve never seen that good of gas mileage unless going down hills and then of course it goes way up... with the oem TB same Circumstances I would see upper 20s to low 30s freeway cruising .

Does this solar TB actually increase fuel economy ???? Or is this just a false reading for some reason?
You and Sellout, are the 4th and 5th customers to watch that and report an improvement, I did not expect that, but I'm going to have to start believing it.

The fuel flow and fuel temp sensors are independent of TP sensor or any other sensor for that matter. I don't see how it could be false. We can always resort the old odometer and gas station receipt method to verify.

I know they can get the equations as complicated as they want but; distance/fuel volume...
www.solerengineering.com

Last edited by Mike@SolerEngr; 05-23-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike@SolerEngr:
65fastback (05-23-2019), joshtried (05-31-2019), Krenath (05-31-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 PM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
You and Sellout, are the 4th and 5th customers to watch that and report an improvement, I did not expect that, but I'm going to have to start believing it.

The fuel flow and fuel temp sensors are independent of TP sensor or any other sensor for that matter. I don't see how it could be false. We can always resort the old odometer and gas station receipt method to verify.

I know they can get the equations as complicated as they want but; distance/fuel volume...
I'm honestly surprised there's fuel flow measurement at all. It certainly doesn't make the readout accurate. The DIC has NEVER been an accurate indication of fuel mileage for me. It's pretty much always been at least 1.5mpg on the high side, and still averages out at about that same amount, but I swear I never saw the instant readout showing 37+mpg on flat ground before I installed the Soler throttle body. But that's about all the thought I've given it. I prefer to have a tach needle in the dash so I don't see the gas mileage display all that often anyway
Old 05-24-2019, 03:43 AM
goec2468
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback

The best my C7 did was 34 mpg over a full 100 km (about 60 miles) in average !
That was before my PTB and it was while cruising with app. 75 mph in average.
So your reading is not that unusual, but I am not saying the PTB did not improve your milage, I just don't know if it has an Impact here.
The only way a PTB can improve milage I can think of is by leaning the mixture, does it do that ?

Regards

Götz
Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by goec2468
The only way a PTB can improve milage I can think of is by leaning the mixture, does it do that ?

Regards

Götz
Guys and Gals, that I have closely monitored, if you can monitor it on your car, please do. AFR compensation parameter = 1 (stoichiometric) when cruising. Fuel trims are doing what they are supposed to do. The oxygen sensor is very strict about this b/c of emissions concerns.

I have another couple of possible reasons,

1) Our design reduces pumping loses through the TB during the intake stroke. That is the point of the converging-diverging nozzle we feature on our blade-body interface at low throttle, where the flow is sonic and benefits a lot from that geometry. It also increases the discharge coefficient of the valve (TB), meaning less pressure loses for the same mass flow rate.

2) It is getting hotter out there and the vapors from the canister are being purged and burned, and I don't think this amount of fuel is being metered. If this is true, the gains will be only temporary.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike@SolerEngr:
jimtreber (05-25-2019), Krenath (05-31-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 12:18 PM
goec2468
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
Guys and Gals, that I have closely monitored, if you can monitor it on your car, please do. AFR compensation parameter = 1 (stoichiometric) when cruising. Fuel trims are doing what they are supposed to do. The oxygen sensor is very strict about this b/c of emissions concerns.

I have another couple of possible reasons,

1) Our design reduces pumping loses through the TB during the intake stroke. That is the point of the converging-diverging nozzle we feature on our blade-body interface at low throttle, where the flow is sonic and benefits a lot from that geometry. It also increases the discharge coefficient of the valve (TB), meaning less pressure loses for the same mass flow rate.

2) It is getting hotter out there and the vapors from the canister are being purged and burned, and I don't think this amount of fuel is being metered. If this is true, the gains will be only temporary.
You are right, in theory lower pumping losses could explain a better mileage.
At low speed it needs exactely the same amount of air (mixture) to achieve a certain speed, regardless if the TB is ported or not.
But then if the conture is more flow efficient, the pumping losses are less.
So far the theory, I just struggle to see that the difference is big enough to achieve a noticeable better mileage.
By the way, I am not doubting that the People who saw an improvement didn't tell the truth, I just struggle to see the TB as the reason.
But I culd be wrong.

Regards

Götz

Last edited by goec2468; 05-24-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Gotz, I'm also carefully optimistic and really not fully convinced of my own explanation. Like you, I know what we have done is conducing to smaller pumping loses, but can't really gauge the full effect nor prove that is the reason. There must be a way, though.

I'm sure you are not doubting, your point is perfectly reasonable. Thx.

Last edited by Mike@SolerEngr; 05-24-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added signature
Old 05-25-2019, 07:30 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Here's a link to my impressions that I'm going to keep updated as the install "matures" in data and experiences...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599463466
The following users liked this post:
Mike@SolerEngr (05-26-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:31 AM
daleh50
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Immediate Difference

Mike at Soler,
Just installed mine on Thursday - drove about 150 + miles on Friday. After having 2 C7’s and 50,000 + miles I love my car even more now. There is an immediate positive difference in the driving experience. IMHO this is the best mod you can do for the money. If you love your C7 now, you will be shocked with how much better you like it after this mod. This is a high quality product.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 throttle body response, getting to know it

Old 05-25-2019, 09:41 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by daleh50
Mike at Soler,
Just installed mine on Thursday - drove about 150 + miles on Friday. After having 2 C7’s and 50,000 + miles I love my car even more now. There is an immediate positive difference in the driving experience. IMHO this is the best mod you can do for the money. If you love your C7 now, you will be shocked with how much better you like it after this mod. This is a high quality product.

Couldn't be happier with mine as well So far so good!!!! Thanks Mike for such an AWESOME PRODUCT!!!!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:28 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Ordering mi e next week. My 2015 Z51 M7 has quite a few mods and a tune. Hoping this TB will alleviate some of the lag when I pull from a stop. Feels like the pedal has to be pushed way too far to get a good solid response.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:32 PM
fishpick
Instructor

Originally Posted by tyho
Ordering mi e next week. My 2015 Z51 M7 has quite a few mods and a tune. Hoping this TB will alleviate some of the lag when I pull from a stop. Feels like the pedal has to be pushed way too far to get a good solid response.
100% should! Was out against today and that “from a stop” lag is friggin gone! It’s amazing. Car feels more nimble overall. Who would have thought!

Quick Reply: C7 throttle body response, getting to know it