Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Potential HVAC Issue?

 
Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM
  #1  
matthesf
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default HELP! Potential HVAC Issue?

I'm stressing out so hopefully someone can help. I'm a new member but not new to forums (I searched beforehand). I have a 2015 Stingray and the (heat and a/c) only blow from the top and bottom vents; not the "face" vents. From experience in other cars, it sounds like the blend door actuator but I wanted to check with you all. I'm going to try and reset the fuses when I get home but I already called a shop who quoted 15+ hrs in labor as the dash has to come apart. I hope it's something small as 1. this is a fairly new car and 2. I don't want to spend $3K and have my dash torn apart.

Please shed some light!
matthesf is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:22 PM
  #2  
jimxms
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 559
Thanked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by matthesf View Post
I'm stressing out so hopefully someone can help. I'm a new member but not new to forums (I searched beforehand). I have a 2015 Stingray and the (heat and a/c) only blow from the top and bottom vents; not the "face" vents. From experience in other cars, it sounds like the blend door actuator but I wanted to check with you all. I'm going to try and reset the fuses when I get home but I already called a shop who quoted 15+ hrs in labor as the dash has to come apart. I hope it's something small as 1. this is a fairly new car and 2. I don't want to spend $3K and have my dash torn apart.

Please shed some light!
Strangely I had the same problem and posted about it a few days ago. I tried re-charging coolant, upgrading software, resetting everything. No luck. I'm pretty sure that mine is a blend door too, but thats a moot point as I just pulled the entire A/C system out of my car as I don't really need it.
jimxms is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:24 PM
  #3  
matthesf
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow! I still think it's crazy it would break already!

I need my air, it's HOTT in the south!
matthesf is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:28 PM
  #4  
jimxms
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 559
Thanked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by matthesf View Post
Wow! I still think it's crazy it would break already!

I need my air, it's HOTT in the south!
15 hours does sound a bit excessive for dash out (if thats even what it needs). I've seen a few people post tutorials for dash removal and it is quite involved, but maybe half of that for a professional to do it I would think?
jimxms is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:55 PM
  #5  
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 32,812
Thanked 3,325 Times in 2,225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jimxms View Post
15 hours does sound a bit excessive for dash out (if thats even what it needs). I've seen a few people post tutorials for dash removal and it is quite involved, but maybe half of that for a professional to do it I would think?
To get the heater box out of the car the dash has to come out. 15 hours including taking the dash out, removing the heater box, fixing what ever is wrong inside the heater box, reinstalling the heater box, reinstalling the dash and probably the effort of draining and reinstalling the coolant if the heater core is pulled out of the car to get to what ever needs to be repaired. How many times do you think a professional does this on a Corvette? Practice makes perfect and they don't get a lot of practice unless they are working in a dealership that sells hundreds of Corvettes.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
  #6  
dleibman
CF Senior Member
 
dleibman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: Punta gorda Florida
Posts: 306
Thanks: 0
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Had the same done on my 03 just a year ago by a vette mechanic. 700. Out the door.
dleibman is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 05:26 PM
  #7  
matthesf
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default




Here's what the mechanic provided
matthesf is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 AM
  #8  
laserdude2215
CF Senior Member
 
laserdude2215's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: San Dimas CA
Posts: 182
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Okay, so one hour of shop time to reprogram the the HVAC Control Module. You won't find an easier fix.
laserdude2215 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:55 AM
  #9  
matthesf
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Getting it done today, fingers crossed!
matthesf is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: