C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW-TO: Install larger '19 Z06 (Auto) radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 09:28 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by rastolpho
Interesting to know! I didn't fully close the hood but just "laid it back" flat over the engine.

I would think due to that thicker radiator the hood duct would be moved backwards a bit but I don't think that's a big issue..

Checking out on parts website for a 2019 Z06 and that specific part, it comes up as 84872137 which is listed for 2014-2019 all Corvette Models (well, expect the ZR1).

So maybe someone with a Z06 can see how theirs is aligned.
There's a whole thread on the duct somewhere. Basically it looks like GM had a specific duct they used at the factory and anything you buy over the counter gets the same old duct that came on all the other cars and it wrinkles....even when ordering and receiving the "correct" part number.

The following users liked this post:
rastolpho (05-14-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 03:01 AM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got the replacement radiator. Inspected and looks good. Top tabs were lifted on the replacement radiator, however, I noticed that even though I can bolt those top 2 bolts, it tends to lift the that top air duct and when closing the hood it sort of hits it and then you have to push it down a bit harder when closing the hood.

Didn't feel too comfortable with that extra push, probably due to that top duct being different on Z06 factory vs what you can buy as a part as the last person mentioned, so I’ll leave those 2 bolts off and the hood closes better.

One small thing I noticed, since the radiator is slightly thicker, that pushes the fan a bit more towards the middle as well, a small piece of the air intake, within a maybe a millimeter, almost touches the back of the fan piece. It’s the plastic so not the blades or anything, I’m attaching a picture so everyone can see.

Keep in mind mine is the 2014 base, not a Z06 so that’s why you see that. It’s just a piece of plastic, almost serves as a place to just “hold” the whole thing when carrying it.

Curious if you guys think I should cut a small piece of it so it’s got a bit more clearance to the fan, the thinner radiator would cause the whole front to sit a bit further away.

I know the radiator and all parts are in the proper place so this is just a result of that thicker radiator..

Tomorrow I’ll be filling it all up with my coolant mix, just ran out of time today!

Old 05-20-2024, 04:56 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 917 Likes on 730 Posts

I can't tell what the part is but it would be nice to have a little more clearance there.
rastolpho (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 08:46 AM
hiltsy855
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I would just trim off 1/4" so it has some working clearance.
rastolpho (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:02 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I can't tell what the part is but it would be nice to have a little more clearance there.
It was a bit hard to take a good picture, sorry!

I put a picture of the actual intake (it is upside down) and where my picture was pointing at. The part itself is here:

https://g.oempartsonline.com/oem-par...-duct-84092388

I believe the entire lip itself is to help strengthen the overall construction of it but trimming a bit at the end shouldn't cause an issue I would think...

Old 05-20-2024, 11:56 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

New Radiator is good! Was sort of stressing out due to the issue I had with the previous one leaking all over the place... So I filled it up very slow.

Turned on the car, reached operating temp, rev'd to 2500RPM or so a few times to burp out the air, topped it off again. I also added 1 bottle of Water Wetter due to someone recommending it.

I went ahead and cut a small section of that lip I mentioned above so now I have more clearance. Tomorrow I'll be taking it for a ride and then check the coolant level once again.

One thing that happened that freaked me out on the 1st start is my Oil Temp gauge was just sitting at 0. Oil PSI was about 50 and the new fan I just put on was full blast.

I think the ECU had to program itself on first start with that fan, I turned the car off, waited a bit and back on and Oil Temp reading was back to normal, PSI had dropped as well to 30 or so.

Thanks everyone for the help! Now it's time for that transmission oil change....
Old 05-21-2024, 08:32 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 906 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by rastolpho
New Radiator is good! Was sort of stressing out due to the issue I had with the previous one leaking all over the place... So I filled it up very slow.

Turned on the car, reached operating temp, rev'd to 2500RPM or so a few times to burp out the air, topped it off again. I also added 1 bottle of Water Wetter due to someone recommending it.

I went ahead and cut a small section of that lip I mentioned above so now I have more clearance. Tomorrow I'll be taking it for a ride and then check the coolant level once again.

One thing that happened that freaked me out on the 1st start is my Oil Temp gauge was just sitting at 0. Oil PSI was about 50 and the new fan I just put on was full blast.

I think the ECU had to program itself on first start with that fan, I turned the car off, waited a bit and back on and Oil Temp reading was back to normal, PSI had dropped as well to 30 or so.

Thanks everyone for the help! Now it's time for that transmission oil change....

Thanks for the details documenting this, I'm doing this next week.
My GS auto is running a little too warm at Sebring, 235F water & 280F oil on a hot day.

How does the duct fit with your trimming? Which end did you trim?
Old 05-21-2024, 12:07 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fatsport
Thanks for the details documenting this, I'm doing this next week.
My GS auto is running a little too warm at Sebring, 235F water & 280F oil on a hot day.

How does the duct fit with your trimming? Which end did you trim?
So I am not sure if it's the same air intake part on a GS 2019, but if you see the picture I posted above, that small plastic "lip" is on the 2014 Base Model (or all Base Models).

Due to the increased width of the new radiator, the fan also gets pushed forward a bit, about an inch or so. That small lip was almost touching the back of the fan so I just cut about an inch or so from it so there is more clearance.

While burping the system and keeping the RPM at about 2500 for 2 minutes or so, I did not see the engine go above 206F. Obviously not pushing like on the track but I was happy to see it not climbing and the fan was not even going at full speed either.

I plan to do a "quick" YouTube video not on the installation procedure of the radiator since we have posts here and a few YT videos on that already, but I would say on "Tips and things I ran into while doing it that I didn't see anyone talk about that you might run into" (That would be a long video title.. shorten that a bit). Hope to get that done either today or tomorrow and I'll post a link here on this thread.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:16 AM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Here’s a video I did sharing my experience. Hope it answer some questions!

The following 3 users liked this post by rastolpho:
96GS#007 (05-23-2024), fatsport (05-28-2024), Shokwav (05-22-2024)

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Install larger '19 Z06 (Auto) radiator