C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW-TO: Install larger '19 Z06 (Auto) radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 04:53 AM
partscargo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To address fitment concerns for '18 model year owners, there may be a difference in the lower left fitting, and a specific part (#23171715) might be needed to resolve the issue.

Here is a list of items you will need for the radiator replacement:
  1. The new thicker radiator: GM part# 84524653. It can be purchased online for around $305 plus shipping and handling.
  2. Sockets in sizes 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm.
  3. A hook-pick tool to remove one of the coolant lines.
  4. A large plier, like an alligator plier, to loosen lines.
  5. Dykes or similar tool to cut/trim one of the radiator mounts.
  6. Approximately 1-2 gallons of DEXCOOL antifreeze and distilled water. You may also opt for a pre-mixed 50/50 antifreeze and water solution, but it's worth noting that Corvettes do not come with a 50/50 mix from the factory.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,992 Likes on 5,362 Posts

Originally Posted by partscargo
To address fitment concerns for '18 model year owners, there may be a difference in the lower left fitting, and a specific part (#23171715) might be needed to resolve the issue.

Here is a list of items you will need for the radiator replacement:
  1. The new thicker radiator: GM part# 84524653. It can be purchased online for around $305 plus shipping and handling.
  2. Sockets in sizes 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm.
  3. A hook-pick tool to remove one of the coolant lines.
  4. A large plier, like an alligator plier, to loosen lines.
  5. Dykes or similar tool to cut/trim one of the radiator mounts.
  6. Approximately 1-2 gallons of DEXCOOL antifreeze and distilled water. You may also opt for a pre-mixed 50/50 antifreeze and water solution, but it's worth noting that Corvettes do not come with a 50/50 mix from the factory.
Since Corvette come with a 60/40 water/coolant ratio using a 50/50 ratio would offset some of the added cooling capacity of the thicker radiator. After going to the bother of changing radiators why give up some of the increased cooling capacity by using the wrong ratio of water to coolant? If the cooling system is completely flushed until any drained liquid is clear then it will take 5 quarts of coolant and 7.7 quarts of water to fill the cooling system. Don't forget when the system is flushed there will always be a couple of quarts that are held in the engine block and heater.

Bill
Old 05-09-2024, 02:30 AM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got this installed on my ‘14 A6 Base.

Gotta say, easier said than done, specially when doing it on your own.

I was already changing the old 500W fan due to fan controller issue so decided to get as many things changed as possible, new serpentine tensioner since old one was leaking, new belt, new Tstat, new radiator lines.

Other than the removal and installation of this new radiator, it was just time consuming but I’d say simple enough.

I did run into one thing was hoping for some suggestions.

The radiator I got shipped to me had both the 2 top tabs folded in. I didn’t want to possibly break anything and left them folded, it still slid under in place without an issue.

Since the radiator is thicker, the shroud sits a bit more forward than before and.. due to those tabs being folded, the 2 top bolts don’t reach all the way to where the older radiator was bolted down. No problem with the side bolts.

Started searching to see if I’d find the same bolts but longer so the shroud isn’t attached by just 2 bolts but couldn’t find anything. I was actually able to push hard enough on the shroud so the bolt would reach, but that raised the other end of the shroud high enough so when you close the hood it’s sort of on the way and I wasn’t too comfortable leaving it like that.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I’d love to find some longer version of these fender bolts, or would it be fine with just the 2 on each side of the radiator? Not wanting to try to pry open those 2 top tabs on the radiator and doing some sort of damage..

If anyone knows which bolts I could use, I’d appreciate it! I’d say if they’re 40mm in length it would be enough to reach.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-09-2024, 08:41 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 914 Likes on 729 Posts

A picture would help. I swapped mine out but it's been several years. I don't remember anything not fitting.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:59 AM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
A picture would help. I swapped mine out but it's been several years. I don't remember anything not fitting.
I’ll take a picture as soon as I can! But in short, since the 2 top tabs are bent inward, the 2 bolts on the top of the shroud don’t reach where they used to since the new radiator is thicker (why GM added those tabs to be bolted directly to the radiator).
Old 05-09-2024, 09:00 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rastolpho
I’ll take a picture as soon as I can! But in short, since the 2 top tabs are bent inward, the 2 bolts on the top of the shroud don’t reach where they used to since the new radiator is thicker (why GM added those tabs to be bolted directly to the radiator).
It sounds like it isn't seated in the frame correctly.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:17 AM
rastolpho
Intermediate

It sounds like it isn't seated in the frame correctly.
I triple checked all the connections and plugs to make sure of that. Because of that half inch thicker compared to my old radiator, that’s the distance it sits forward and it’s not flush to the frame like the older thinner radiator was.

I’m assuming GM knew that and added the tabs to bolt directly to it, easiest “fix”. So if the tabs were in place, it would be flush to them.

Tried to take 2 pictures to show here. One thing to note also is the shroud is accurately positioned over the vent hood.

Ive attached 2 pictures to try to show. You can see on the second picture the “half inch gap due to increased thickness of the radiator”. The bent inward radiator tab would be flush against shroud plastic and be able to bolt through.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:44 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

right side
I triple checked all the connections and plugs to make sure of that. Because of that half inch thicker compared to my old radiator, that’s the distance it sits forward and it’s not flush to the frame like the older thinner radiator was.

I’m assuming GM knew that and added the tabs to bolt directly to it, easiest “fix”. So if the tabs were in place, it would be flush to them.

Tried to take 2 pictures to show here. One thing to note also is the shroud is accurately positioned over the vent hood.

Ive attached 2 pictures to try to show. You can see on the second picture the “half inch gap due to increased thickness of the radiator”. The bent inward radiator tab would be flush against shroud plastic and be able to bolt through.

That might be as close as you'll get. Here are photos of mine.

Left side. The edge is under the upper tab even though it looks like it's sticking out because of the camera angle.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:31 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

right side

That might be as close as you'll get. Here are photos of mine.

Left side. The edge is under the upper tab even though it looks like it's sticking out because of the camera angle.
Thanks for sharing!

So on your last picture, the bolt that goes through that shroud goes into the radiator tab correct?

That’s the tab mine came folded in from the place I got it from. Both tabs. Not sure why they did that but I didn’t touch it. It lines up directly with the thread behind where you bolt in with the old radiator which is on the car rather than the radiator itself. Unfortunately it’s too far for the bolts to reach.

So leave with no bolts, try to find some longer ones, or unbend the radiator tabs (that might require some force..)
Old 05-09-2024, 12:36 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

It's screwed in for sure. It's snug so it must be in the tab you're talking about.
The following users liked this post:
rastolpho (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:06 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

It's screwed in for sure. It's snug so it must be in the tab you're talking about.
This is what I meant about the tabs being folded in. Almost impossible to try to fold them back unless I dismantle the whole thing again…

Old 05-09-2024, 02:22 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,037 Posts

That doesn't look like a "feature", but rather perhaps the package was squished, etc? I'd heat it up a bit, and then slowly fix them back to their place, or you could ask for replacement in the beginning.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:27 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by X25
That doesn't look like a "feature", but rather perhaps the package was squished, etc? I'd heat it up a bit, and then slowly fix them back to their place, or you could ask for replacement in the beginning.
The package looked fine on arrival, although a bit banged up, it had cushion on both ends. It also looks like it was done "on purpose" and not that it was "smashed in by accident" since both sides look almost identical.

Also no damage to either tab, just bent in place.

I didn't think it was a big deal when I got it, thought the old screws would reach where the old radiator hooked up to and didn't want to deal with having to ship the item back, receive another, etc..

I do have a heat gun, although I'd rather see if I could find a longer bolt to go straight into the old radiator thread. Either way, it would be quite well secure...
Old 05-09-2024, 03:25 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

The package looked fine on arrival, although a bit banged up, it had cushion on both ends. It also looks like it was done "on purpose" and not that it was "smashed in by accident" since both sides look almost identical.

Also no damage to either tab, just bent in place.

I didn't think it was a big deal when I got it, thought the old screws would reach where the old radiator hooked up to and didn't want to deal with having to ship the item back, receive another, etc..

I do have a heat gun, although I'd rather see if I could find a longer bolt to go straight into the old radiator thread. Either way, it would be quite well secure...
I think the longer bolt would probably be the best idea
Old 05-09-2024, 03:31 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

I think the longer bolt would probably be the best idea
That's what I sort of gravitated towards.. It would be bolted to the frame on top rather than on the radiator, and to the radiator normally from the sides, like the old radiator was.

Only issue I'm having is finding these bolts.. Been trying to find what the thread size is, tried a few bolts I have here but they don't work.. Don't want to span the bracket...
Old 05-09-2024, 05:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,992 Likes on 5,362 Posts

That's what I sort of gravitated towards.. It would be bolted to the frame on top rather than on the radiator, and to the radiator normally from the sides, like the old radiator was.

Only issue I'm having is finding these bolts.. Been trying to find what the thread size is, tried a few bolts I have here but they don't work.. Don't want to span the bracket...
Take the bolt to your local Fastenal store and see if they have something that will work.

Bill
Old 05-09-2024, 05:54 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Take the bolt to your local Fastenal store and see if they have something that will work.

Bill
That's the plan for today at a local shop.. We'll see if they have anything..

I found the bolt to be a M4.2 x 1.41 thread size. The ones used for the shroud are 30mm. So hoping to find a 35mm, that should be able to reach the locking thread..

If not, I found a few options online like this: https://askautosupply.ca/products/he...asher-diameter

Get notified of new replies

To HOW-TO: Install larger '19 Z06 (Auto) radiator

Old 05-09-2024, 10:58 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

As sure as my luck goes, started filling up with coolant, hear a drip.. passenger side of the radiator is leaking..

So here I go with the disassembly..

Contacted the place who sold me the part for an exchange.

Hopefully the new radiator comes with the tabs already up in place. If not, I’ll see if I can bend them prior to installing so I don’t deal with this bolt issue.

Here goes my hope to driving the car this weekend!

Last edited by rastolpho; 05-10-2024 at 02:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shokwav (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 08:49 AM
hiltsy855
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, that sucks! I installed a '19 radiator in my '16 last week. The thicker radiator with the integrated top mounting tabs definitely pushes the hood duct rearward by about a 1/2". Now the top flange of the duct doesn't align perfectly with the opening in the hood. I wonder if there is a different (shorter) duct for '19 models?
Old 05-13-2024, 07:37 PM
rastolpho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Wow, that sucks! I installed a '19 radiator in my '16 last week. The thicker radiator with the integrated top mounting tabs definitely pushes the hood duct rearward by about a 1/2". Now the top flange of the duct doesn't align perfectly with the opening in the hood. I wonder if there is a different (shorter) duct for '19 models?
Interesting to know! I didn't fully close the hood but just "laid it back" flat over the engine.

I would think due to that thicker radiator the hood duct would be moved backwards a bit but I don't think that's a big issue..

Checking out on parts website for a 2019 Z06 and that specific part, it comes up as 84872137 which is listed for 2014-2019 all Corvette Models (well, expect the ZR1).

So maybe someone with a Z06 can see how theirs is aligned.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Install larger '19 Z06 (Auto) radiator