C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing GT4 at VIR with new lap time

Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Chasing GT4 at VIR with new lap time

I had a great event this past weekend at VIR, and set a new lap time for me. Full course 2:13.81

Stock 17' GS with iron rotors and MPSS

Last edited by GoatHead; 05-27-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm always surprised to see people not using all of the track at T4 and oak tree track out. I go all the way past the curbing on exit.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Originally Posted by subieworx
I'm always surprised to see people not using all of the track at T4 and oak tree track out. I go all the way past the curbing on exit.
Those curbing are safety margins in case one is over driving. Pro drivers are over driving their cars, that is why you see them going over there. Generally, it is a very bad habit to make it part of line. I went there couple of times just because I mistook a turn or missed the apex all together. To each his own, however.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (06-08-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatHead
Those curbing are safety margins in case one is over driving. Pro drivers are over driving their cars, that is why you see them going over there. Generally, it is a very bad habit to make it part of line. I went there couple of times just because I mistook a turn or missed the apex all together. To each his own, however.
I agree. The curbing at Oak Tree is pretty rough. If you aren't driving somebody else's car it is a good idea to stay off it. Getting on the throttle while on the curbing generates a lot of high vibration shock in the drive train as the rear tire slips and grips from one curb block to another. That isn't especially good for the drive train and can have negative affects on the CV joints and diff/transmission gears. Those shocks also affect the rear suspension bushings, toe links, ball joints and the shock absorbers to some extent. If somebody else is paying for the parts then it is great to run over the curb to get a little better time. If you are paying for the parts that little bit of time gained could become very costly as various parts reach their fatigue point and break. As for the curbing at T4 I don't see a lot of fast runners hitting that curbing all that much. If you are talking about the curbing at the exit of T3 I see some people run over there a lot but it can have the same impact as the curbing at Oak Tree.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 02:11 PM
GoatHead
Pro

New lap time this past weekend. Full course 2:11.84
Stock Grand Sport, iron rotors and MPSS

Get notified of new replies

To Chasing GT4 at VIR with new lap time

Search this Thread