C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM 3/4 side skirts removal/install

Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default OEM 3/4 side skirts removal/install

Anyone do this in any fashion?

I know I'll need new rivets and a rivet gun as well as jacking the side up. I also believe there are two hidden ones?

Also- the way to get the rivets out- drill through? Does it matter what size bit?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:36 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 616 Posts

I have not removed the 3/4 side skirts, but I have drilled out rivets on my C7. It takes a small bit just a little larger than the aluminum shaft in the center of the rivet. When you drill thru this the outer part might start spinning on you, but once you are thru this the outer part of the rivet falls off, and the inner part stays behind. Never had any rattling or anything, so I assume they fall out somehow. (Being a little OCD, I actually ran a borescope down the rocker--there were a few pieces of gravel in there too, so it can't be sealed up too well)

I did install my own skirts and splitter. I did not like the hand riveters, so I purchased this pneumatic from Amazon. Works great! (
LINK LINK
)

If you REALLY like collecting tools, here is a rivet removal tool. Not really needed, but works! (
LINK LINK
)
The following users liked this post:
BullittEV (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:41 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
I have not removed the 3/4 side skirts, but I have drilled out rivets on my C7. It takes a small bit just a little larger than the aluminum shaft in the center of the rivet. When you drill thru this the outer part might start spinning on you, but once you are thru this the outer part of the rivet falls off, and the inner part stays behind. Never had any rattling or anything, so I assume they fall out somehow. (Being a little OCD, I actually ran a borescope down the rocker--there were a few pieces of gravel in there too, so it can't be sealed up too well)

I did install my own skirts and splitter. I did not like the hand riveters, so I purchased this pneumatic from Amazon. Works great! (LINK)

If you REALLY like collecting tools, here is a rivet removal tool. Not really needed, but works! (LINK)
Awesome, thx.

is the air rivet gun that much better? will both accomplish the same job is what I am saying. I am not really a tool collector (yet) but the rivet removal tool just looks like some sort of drill attachment? Why not just use the bit?

Also- were there any more rivets than the ones you can visibly see from the bottom?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 616 Posts

^^^ I did not run into any surprises, but I was removing a splitter, not side skirts. But I am not sure how there would be any hidden rivets. I suppose they might back it up with tape, like they do the GS spats.

My ACS skirts came with rivets. I am pretty strong, and had two large hand-rivet tools to choose from, and I could not do it. The air riveter did a great job. Of course, I might only need it once every 5 years ... Regarding the rivet removal tool, I agree, it's not needed. Just the drill bit.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM 3/4 side skirts removal/install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM 3/4 side skirts removal/install