C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper FIX for laggy throttle response...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 01:12 PM
gmtech16450yz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Proper FIX for laggy throttle response...

Awhile back on here I got into a "discussion" about modified throttle bodies and pedal commanders and tried to say fixing a software problem with hardware isn't the right approach. I stated that it was a simple table value change in HPTuners that effectively removes the throttle lag that most everyone feels in these Gen 5 engines. At the time I didn't post those exact changes or the tables involved.

Since then, I've gotten many PM's from members asking me to "fix" the poor throttle response in their cars. I don't tune for private parties, I don't run a "tuning" company and I'm NOT interested in doing either. But I do like sharing what I know and have learned. So here it is, for those that are already tuned or are thinking about having their car tuned, this is the "fix"...

Click here to read my HPTuners forum thread...

I'm sorry I didn't just post this back when I was last on here discussing this issue. For those that have PM'd me, I'm really bad with responding to PM's so hopefully this will answer your requests.

If you're already tuned and have the HPT hardware yourself, you can simply make the changes and try it for yourself.

If you're tuned through an actual tuning company or person, send them the link to that thread so they know what to modify in your tune. (I maxed out the tables on that first try of my son's C7. That car was sold before we really had a chance to mess around with fine tuning the tables. Maxing out the tables will show you what effect they have. Actually changing the stock values to increased or decreased values is the proper way to "tune" tables like these.)

If you're not tuned but are considering between buying a pedal commander, modified throttle body or having your car tuned, this may help you make the decision. It's a SOFTWARE issue. As I said, I don't really like fixing a software issue with modified hardware (throttle body) or inline input modifiers (Pedal Commander).

Enjoy and have fun guys!

Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 03-16-2020 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (03-19-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:09 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of add-on interceptors and signal modifiers either.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:00 AM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

Nice post. I've been trying to tell people those signal modifiers are only doing little things that we can take care of in a tune. Modifying the driver demand maps can improve throttle response but you have to be careful in there.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Y2KFirehawk
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to think big and give back
Old 03-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,637 Posts

What nobody is saying is those "Signal Modifiers " do proved is the ability to change your response on the fly ... if you do it in the tune you are stuck with one throttle response unless you upload a new tune

I am one that likes the adjustability becaue i track my car and depending on the surface prep I can either crank it up when its sticky as hell or I can turn it down if the prep is not that good so I dont blow the tires off of it on the Launch .

I have modified the response both ways , in the tune and also with my Vitesse and I prefer the Vitesse

Just my two cents

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 03-17-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:19 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Interesting discussion.
Well, I just turned 60k on my '16 Z51 last week and so I'm now free to go with the Soler TB and BMS drop in filter. Not looking for performance gains necessarily just "cleaning things up" a bit.
I've always felt that manufacturers have to restrict intakes to meet drive by sound standards, so my first move has always been to optimize intake air. Then, by my logic, more air in might lean out the fuel mixture so I was going to check AFR on a dyno for safe levels and adjust the tune to take full advantage of the increased air flow. Again nothing dramatic just trying to optimize engine operation.

So, now this discussion has forced me to question my assumptions. To wit:
Why spend the $ on a TB and possible TC when I can spend about the same $ to have it tuned to insure safe AFR and optimize performance with the low restriction air filter. Assuming the stock tune is a little on the fat side, there may be a little something to work with there.
Of course, with more air going in, its only logical to look at the exhaust to get all that air out efficiently. But thats a discussion for another day.
I like the idea of installing the TB and Filter myself and be done. No way i could mess with the tune, but there is something to be said for a safe, professional tune.

You may have guessed that I tend to over think things.
What to do?

Old 03-17-2020, 08:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

No need for a tune for a throttle body and air filter ....dont waste your money unless u like spending 500 bucks for 20 hp
Fuel trims can more than make up for this
save it for when you put headers on

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 03-24-2020 at 03:15 PM.
blueray16 (03-17-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 05:38 PM
Scarlett-73
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts

I recently took my 19 GS to the dealer because it has a slight lag in Throttle response from a dead stop. The response from them was very predictable. Gee there's nothing wrong that we can see,... we ran a diagnostic and it had no codes. I should've known better than to waste my time with them. So Now I'm looking for a tuner to fix that throttle response! Any recommendations out there?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Cajun TurboZ
Team Owner

Received 287 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Properly ported TB
Old 03-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Get the hardware correct first. Then modify the software to take maximum advantage of the correct hardware. This will result in the best possible end result.

Modifying software first is treating the symptoms without solving the underlying problem.
blueray16 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:57 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by evolmotorsprt; 03-23-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM
gmtech16450yz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Elk
Get the hardware correct first. Then modify the software to take maximum advantage of the correct hardware. This will result in the best possible end result.

Modifying software first is treating the symptoms without solving the underlying problem.

Just for ***** and giggles, can you elaborate on this as it directly relates to the throttle body hardware/software? I'd probably be entertained by your reasoning. What in the throttle body hardware is exactly "not correct" or is the "underlying problem"?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:52 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk

I have to disagree with you. You can tune a stock throttle body car to have great throttle response, far better than what you experience with a stock tune and a ported throttle body.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:14 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
I have to disagree with you. You can tune a stock throttle body car to have great throttle response, far better than what you experience with a stock tune and a ported throttle body.
I agree with you 100% ... there is nothing wrong with a stock throttle body . It's the response that GM programmed into the tune
Putting a ported throttlebody on to fix the throttle response is putting a bandaid on the problem , not fixing it .. , it's like the throttle controllers , they work but the real problem is how GM tuned it .

Dave
Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 PM
McNultyZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To me all you are right. I'm no tuner, mechanic or anything but I have all three of those on my ZO6. Started with a ported tb and it did its thing, then added cold air intake and tuned and got even better, last thing I did was a controller and still adds on top of that. Just my 2 cents.
Dcasole (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz
Just for ***** and giggles, can you elaborate on this as it directly relates to the throttle body hardware/software? I'd probably be entertained by your reasoning.
With your expressed attitude I will not bother, pearls before swine.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM
gmtech16450yz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Elk
With your expressed attitude I will not bother, pearls before swine.

Good luck.
Well darn it you're no fun at all.

I was looking forward to how you were going to back up your statement when it had no basis in reality.

I added that little bit of attitude so you had an out and you took it. You're welcome.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper FIX for laggy throttle response...

Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz
Well darn it you're no fun at all.

I was looking forward to how you were going to back up your statement when it had no basis in reality.

I added that little bit of attitude so you had an out and you took it. You're welcome.
No need for this .... you made your comment and there was no reply , let it die ....

Dave
Old 03-24-2020, 09:59 PM
Litfuse
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

It’s definitely a software issue. I have tuned several cars and this is the norm now on drive by wire systems. I guess manufacturers don’t trust our lead foots won’t put us in a ditch. Most aftermarket tunes on normally aspirated cars feel more powerful due to the throttle calibration from the tuner.

if you are under warranty, you have to decide if you want to tune your car and take the risk or buy a “pedal throttle device.”
Old 03-25-2020, 07:38 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Litfuse
It’s definitely a software issue. I have tuned several cars and this is the norm now on drive by wire systems. I guess manufacturers don’t trust our lead foots won’t put us in a ditch. Most aftermarket tunes on normally aspirated cars feel more powerful due to the throttle calibration from the tuner.

if you are under warranty, you have to decide if you want to tune your car and take the risk or buy a “pedal throttle device.”
I suspect GM did the lazy throttle for emissions reasons rather than trying to restrain a driver.

Quick Reply: Proper FIX for laggy throttle response...