C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential fluid change question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 04:40 PM
Raggaemon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Differential fluid change question

I started seeing the Service Rear Axle message a while ago, I've taken my C7 to the local dealer service center twice, they seem convinced that the problem is voltage related.
I load tested my battery, I get a consistent reading of 12.5 volts and 10.5 volts under a load, the cars Performance display shows 14.5 volts while driving.

I came across a number of C7 owners who had the same message and they changed the rear diff fluid which cleared the message. My local dealer didn't check the fluid level, of course they didn't change the fluid.

Has anyone here had Service Rear Axle message and after changing the diff fluid saw the message clear? I want to sell my C7, but I don't believe anyone would be interested until I can figure out how to clear that message,

Thank you !
Old 05-02-2024, 06:23 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 307 Posts

Never had that issue & I don't think changing the fluid will help unless it is very low. You could have a ELSD problem that will give you that message. Check the fluid level & see how nasty it is, change if very low & dirty & use the GM factory fluid. If you have ELSD problems, a GM scanner will be necessary to diagnose. Others will jump in with help as well.
The following users liked this post:
Raggaemon (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:23 AM
Olden Slowe
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

I had that same message, it would clear after pressing the select button, only to recur some time later. No codes. Dealer suggested a differential fluid change. However I still see this message from time to time in spite of the fluid change. Think I’ll check all battery connections including the small black ground wire for tightness and strong terminals
The following users liked this post:
Raggaemon (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:19 AM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Received 748 Likes on 454 Posts

If you are selling the car,,,,,, just change the fluid! OR,,, open the fill hole and see if you can pump more fluid in. It's not that hard. What do you have to lose? Just make sure it's full. It will be a good selling point.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:05 PM
Raggaemon
Instructor

Thanks for responding!

So far, I've load tested the battery, with my car parked, engine off, the voltage is 12.5, under a load it's 10.5 volts, engine running 14.5 volts.
The confusing thing is when look at the display that indicates the various levels such as tire pressure, oil temp/level, transmission fluid, etc., with my car's engine OFF it reads 8 volts, WAY TOO LOW, but with the engine running it indicated a steady 14.5 volts. I can't figure out why there's such a wide discrepancy between the battery load tester reading (ENGINE OFF) 12.5 volts and the onboard computer showing 8 volts with engine off? I have had the battery cable connectors replaced, they're tightened, 2 wire harness connectors were also replaced due to small amounts of corrosion.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:13 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,092 Posts

How old is the battery? I see in your profile a 2014 listed. If it still has the original battery, it's toast.

10.5 volts under load is barely serviceable
12.5 volts sitting there means nothing
14.5 volts when running is what the alternator is providing.

You're post reads as though you're "load" testing the battery in the car. That is the wrong way to test it.

When the battery is shot, you start seeing readings that don't make sense, you get errant service messages, you may find features that no longer work. All kinds of stuff starts happening with these cars.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:32 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 296 Posts

The only way I know of to test a battery in the car is with a conductance tester.

I believe that places like AutoZone, etc, use this method as due all dealerships.

The reason why is with a conductance tester you don't have to fully charge the battery to run the test.

A load tester needs the battery to be fully charged and disconnected from the car, too time consuming, especially at a dealership or AutoZone.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:55 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkertech
The only way I know of to test a battery in the car is with a conductance tester.

I believe that places like AutoZone, etc, use this method as due all dealerships.

The reason why is with a conductance tester you don't have to fully charge the battery to run the test.

A load tester needs the battery to be fully charged and disconnected from the car, too time consuming, especially at a dealership or AutoZone.
Yep. Not sure the OP is using that since it's an uncommon tool for people to have unless they're mechanics by trade.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:16 PM
Raggaemon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
How old is the battery? I see in your profile a 2014 listed. If it still has the original battery, it's toast.

10.5 volts under load is barely serviceable
12.5 volts sitting there means nothing
14.5 volts when running is what the alternator is providing.

You're post reads as though you're "load" testing the battery in the car. That is the wrong way to test it.

When the battery is shot, you start seeing readings that don't make sense, you get errant service messages, you may find features that no longer work. All kinds of stuff starts happening with these cars.
Thanks for your response!

I've read through numerous tech articles and watched repair shop videos where they use expensive, advanced equipment, saying that under a load the battery should not drop below 9.6 volts. I took my C7 to AutoZone for a test, their results indicated that the battery, starter and alternator are fine. My local dealership repair shop replaced the battery cable connectors after finding a "voltage issue", they also replaced 2 harness wire connectors that had small amounts of corrosion, they didn't find any issues with the battery afterwards. I checked the cables to make sure there's nothing loose. The battery was replaced approx 2 years ago, I don't drive it very much, I never track my car, and when it sits undriven I use a trickle-charger. I tested the battery with cables connected and with all cables disconnected, nothing connected to the car. What I'm puzzled by is the battery voltage indicated on the display in my car reads 8 volts ENGINE OFF, and 14.5 ENGINE ON/DRIVING, while the voltage meter and load tester indicate 12.5 volts ENGINE OFF, I don't know why there's such a wide discrepancy.

Last edited by Raggaemon; 05-04-2024 at 03:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential fluid change question

Quick Reply: Differential fluid change question