C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 01:18 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Aftermarket Shifter

Hey Guys-

I've had two Corvettes: An '03 Z06 with an MGW shifter, and a '17 Stingray with the factory shifter. The factory shifter on the C7 was great for just cruising around, but I would have liked a little better definition in the shift gates for hard driving. While I had (and liked) the MGW on my Z06, the stiffness of the shifter made it unpleasant for cruising or just putting through traffic.

After two years of Mustang ownership, I am again returning to the promised land, and am currently awaiting delivery of a pristine 2019 Grand Sport. I don't plan on doing much in terms of mods to the car, but I would potentially like to replace the shifter. Does anyone in here have experience with multiple shifters on the M7 transmission? I'd like something that feels better than stock, but won't make me feel like my right arm belongs to Arnold Schwarzenegger after a 15 minute drive.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:36 PM
Flattman
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 269 Posts

Since you liked it, you can still get an MGW and do the Anti Venom mod which keeps the preciseness but cuts back on the pressure needed between gates. One washer makes a huge difference and you don't lose any fluids during the mod. Easy peasy...

Old 05-18-2024, 12:16 AM
capt911
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Flattman
Since you liked it, you can still get an MGW and do the Anti Venom mod which keeps the preciseness but cuts back on the pressure needed between gates. One washer makes a huge difference and you don't lose any fluids during the mod. Easy peasy...

https://youtu.be/5CX5gXmomOk?si=z9JnUPdRJ74Y3hHF
I am away from home but have a MGW shifter at home waiting for installation on my M7 C7.
I have a lift at home and watched the video. Are you saying the C7 has the same setup the video shows for the C5-6 vettes? Thanks
Old 05-18-2024, 12:00 PM
Flattman
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by capt911
Are you saying the C7 has the same setup the video shows for the C5-6 vettes? Thanks
Yes, here is a thread with some pics that will help a little more: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...venom-mod.html

Old 05-18-2024, 12:14 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 313 Likes on 200 Posts

I went with the Tick shifter myself. Pricey but worth it IMO. Very precise. Install is fairly easy.

https://www.tickperformance.com/corv...fter-assembly/
Old 05-18-2024, 09:12 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

A majority of the sloppy feel of the factory shifter comes from the lower box portion. I have a ton of customers that describe what their looking for in the same way as you just did, which is the exact reason I offer an upgraded factory box. Tons of my customers will tell you the stock shifter on the upgraded box is their favorite setup, it makes the shifter feel the way it should have from the factory.

Upgrading the factory box (and the bushing on the bottom pivot of the shifter) consist of machining the box to accommodate the same internals I use in my aftermarket short shifters.
These internals are far superior and the unit is guaranteed to last the life of the car.
This option reduces the vague, sloppy feel your talking about without increasing the effort required to move the stick which is a function of reducing the leverage with a "short shifter".
It also dampens vibration significantly better which is not as much of an issue with a car this new, but will unfortunately come with age.

There are a ton of reviews on the site here, I'll put a link to the website details and and a review below. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'm happy to answer any questions I can. Congratulations on the new GS, she sounds beautiful.

https://tmodcustoms.com/products/upgraded-factory-boxes

Thread

C5, C6 & C7
Performance Shifter Boxes
Upgraded Shifter Options

Zero-Slop Shifter Linkages
Don't replace your clutch without upgrading your linkage!

www.TMODCUSTOMS.com
info@tmodcustoms.com

Old 05-19-2024, 12:29 PM
capt911
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Perfect

Originally Posted by Flattman
Yes, here is a thread with some pics that will help a little more: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...venom-mod.html
Thank you Flattman. That is exactly what I needed to know.
The following users liked this post:
Flattman (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 11:40 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 489 Likes on 291 Posts

I have the MGW and did the Venom mod with one spacer.. It is much better shifting. Less effort, but it does have that mechanical feel. I'm not a fan of the mechanical feel. But its still a really good shifter for the price.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:43 AM
NortonCO
Drifting

Received 1,522 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
I've had two Corvettes: An '03 Z06 with an MGW shifter, and a '17 Stingray with the factory shifter. The factory shifter on the C7 was great for just cruising around, but I would have liked a little better definition in the shift gates for hard driving. While I had (and liked) the MGW on my Z06, the stiffness of the shifter made it unpleasant for cruising or just putting through traffic.

After two years of Mustang ownership, I am again returning to the promised land, and am currently awaiting delivery of a pristine 2019 Grand Sport. I don't plan on doing much in terms of mods to the car, but I would potentially like to replace the shifter. Does anyone in here have experience with multiple shifters on the M7 transmission? I'd like something that feels better than stock, but won't make me feel like my right arm belongs to Arnold Schwarzenegger after a 15 minute drive.
Welcome back! Don't know if it's what you see as "experience with multiple shifters on the M7 transmission," but I replaced the OEM shifter in my '19 Z06 with an MGW, which is only a little shorter, but a lot more precise. YMMV but, IMO, Anti-Venom is not required with a properly installed MGW.

Originally Posted by capt911
I have a lift at home and watched the video...
The install is pretty straightforward and doesn't require extensive/expert mechanical ability or a lift. I did the whole job from the driver's seat without lifting the car - there's no need to venture under it.

There are a number of tutorials and videos available including these...
and
and
and
Old 05-20-2024, 09:13 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 500 Posts

I installed the callaway shifter in my car. I love it. Positive stops and much better 2nd to 3rd shifts but the 4th to 5th is the reason I bought it. Only time it feels stiff is going into reverse. Enjoy your new to you vette. C7 grand sport is an awesome car.

Last edited by Basil2000; 05-20-2024 at 09:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Shifter

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Shifter