C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Going to a non-runflat tire will save at least 5lb per corner. Going to carbon wheels will knock of 10 per corner. Carbon rotors, which I assume will be standard, are worth another 7lb per corner. So there is potentially a whopping 22lb per corner to be saved, which counts 3X what chassis weight does for handling. 12lb of that is within reason cost-wise. The wheel material and cost is the big questionmark. The original Dymag carbon wheels were $3K each, but that was back in the 90s. Carbon components have come down significantly in cost since then. If there is a way to get carbon wheels on the Vette, GM will do it.

Other realistic weight saving areas are non-power seats, lexan hatch / windows, and carbon rear quarters.

As Joe says, if they do FI this time around, that becomes a slipperly slope due to the 100lb it adds to the front end of the car, which is why I'd be surprised if they went this way on the Z06. It will be much tougher to significantly improve performance over a Z06 Z07 with FI, and you also have the heat soak issue no matter how good the FI is. The LS9 charge-cooling is marginal due to space limitations, and I don't see that getting better on C7. A big part of "Track capable" means that you can hammer the car all day at a lap session without degraded performance, and I just don't think that is possible with FI. So my money is on a 7.0L NA DI mill making 575-600HP, with the overall car about 100lb lighter than a Z51 due to the aformentioned items.

Either way, I have no doubt that the C7 Z06 will be a big step up from the Z06 performance-wise. Anything less would be embarrassing.
Big cube engines are done with GM anyways!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
since the FI C6 car didn't avoid the guzzler tax
The GG tax on the C6 ZR1 is reduced due to CAGS, but not eliminated completely. Sans CAGS, the GG tax would be higher on the ZR1. Probably double, if I had to wager a guess.

seems worthless to have DOD on a high output FI car that will drink the gas and still incur that tax.
GG tax is one thing, CAFE penalties are another entirely. And it's CAFE that the AFM system is primarily attempting to deal with.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:53 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

A couple of pounds weight savings can be a big deal to some folks.
My z06 weighs 2950 lbs...a couple of lbs is a big deal.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

The C6 Z will probably beat it in real world fuel economy but thats it.....
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

75+ HP
Lighter than C6 Z07. More of a C5Z in terms of a track car
No carbon rotor vibration issues
Steering feel of C5Z which is much better than the C6Z

That would just about do it for me.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:49 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

One of the few ways the C6Z might out perform the C7Z is gas mileage. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, put it to you like this: some LS7 faithful are going to rationalize the difference as they did with the ZR1 when it arrived: intake, tune, driver's race, and pocket the extra 30+ grand they save not buying the new model. We had those posts back then....they will be back very soon....just keep your eyes on the C6 Z06 section.
I actually agree with them. ZR1 ugly hood, same interior, and 30k more. I'll pass and buy a modded Z06 each and everyday!!

The C7 is so badass the C6 even the ZR1 looks bleh in comparison boring imo. I can't wait January cannot come soon enough!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1
75+ HP
Lighter than C6 Z07. More of a C5Z in terms of a track car
No carbon rotor vibration issues
Steering feel of C5Z which is much better than the C6Z

That would just about do it for me.
The Z06 will be more capable than the C5Z and C6Z...of course the C7 Z51 is already trumping C5Z times quite handily, and no one that has driven one has reminisced about the C5Z's handling characteristics, so I'm willing to be that the C7 Z06 will be more in line with the Z51 in how it approaches handling, which is being neutral, not tail happy. It will pull 1.2+g on the skid pad of course that should be easy with the tires in the pics, i mean they're practically slicks. Of course braking will fall under the Z51, quite possibly hitting 60-0 in the 80-90ft range.

I don't know what people are thinking about when trying to extrapolate data concerning the new car by using data from the old cars. The C7 already proved that all the hemming and hawing over the weight, the skinny tires, etc. that you can't judge a new car based on the old because technology has such a profound effect on cars that trying to base predictions on a 10 year old platform is about as meaningful as just pulling figures out of the air at this point.

Use the new C7 as the starting point in your thought process. Throw hopes and dreams out the window. Grasp reality and then do the math. The C7 Z51 is a car that is better than the last gen in every conceivable metric. Expect that the Z06 will be the same, as in everything the past Z06's could do, it will do better.

The one thing that really should be taken away from GM regarding this Z06...didn't they just outright say that this car is the most track capable Corvette ever produced? If that is the case, that includes the mighty ZR1...maybe you should be looking at those numbers instead.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Going to a non-runflat tire will save at least 5lb per corner. Going to carbon wheels will knock of 10 per corner. Carbon rotors, which I assume will be standard, are worth another 7lb per corner. So there is potentially a whopping 22lb per corner to be saved, which counts 3X what chassis weight does for handling. 12lb of that is within reason cost-wise. The wheel material and cost is the big questionmark. The original Dymag carbon wheels were $3K each, but that was back in the 90s. Carbon components have come down significantly in cost since then. If there is a way to get carbon wheels on the Vette, GM will do it.

Other realistic weight saving areas are non-power seats, lexan hatch / windows, and carbon rear quarters.

As Joe says, if they do FI this time around, that becomes a slipperly slope due to the 100lb it adds to the front end of the car, which is why I'd be surprised if they went this way on the Z06. It will be much tougher to significantly improve performance over a Z06 Z07 with FI, and you also have the heat soak issue no matter how good the FI is. The LS9 charge-cooling is marginal due to space limitations, and I don't see that getting better on C7. A big part of "Track capable" means that you can hammer the car all day at a lap session without degraded performance, and I just don't think that is possible with FI. So my money is on a 7.0L NA DI mill making 575-600HP, with the overall car about 100lb lighter than a Z51 due to the aformentioned items.

Either way, I have no doubt that the C7 Z06 will be a big step up from the Z06 performance-wise. Anything less would be embarrassing.
I also think the 7.0 version of the LT1 will be it. That's what I heard from my source. NA for track use and approximately 600hp. The leaked photo of the LT4 is just a diversion to keep us guessing. In Jalopniks recent interview with Tadge, he said there is a 100 percent possibility of a ZR1. Two motors to be built at the new Engine Build facility in BG, one the 7.0 NA called the L88 and the new supercharged LT4.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,308 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I also think the 7.0 version of the LT1 will be it. That's what I heard from my source. NA for track use and approximately 600hp. The leaked photo of the LT4 is just a diversion to keep us guessing. In Jalopniks recent interview with Tadge, he said there is a 100 percent possibility of a ZR1. Two motors to be built at the new Engine Build facility in BG, one the 7.0 NA called the L88 and the new supercharged LT4.
I would absolutely love for this to be true but I've come to terms with what is now the obvious to me... the Z06 will have a forced induction LT4.

If GM somehow planned this as a diversion and throws us a curveball I would be in near disbelief.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Ugh...why all this clingyness to NA? It's not like Corvette engines are super exotic tuned instruments of aural delight. Superchargers allow GM to produce an engine that provides the power we want, while still maintaining some civility while taking fuel economy into consideration. The days of the high displacement all motor from the factory engine are all but over. You can thank all the enviro-whackos for that.

The LS7 is a dinosaur, sorry but that's the way of it. GM has to compete on a world stage where turbo chargers and superchargers reign supreme because they allow more power, less displacement, and good fuel economy. Sure most sound terrible but thats the way of the future. Hell, in 20 years everything will be hybrid so don't get so stuck on old tech.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:47 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

The LS7 is a dinosaur, sorry but that's the way of it.
Wow...clueless would be generous.
Hell, in 20 years everything will be hybrid so don't get so stuck on old tech.
Yeah, and we will be in flying cars soon...oh and bezo's says amazon will deliver with drones (until a 5 year old has his face cut with rotors). If you are going to make predictions you need to look at reality not the crap you hear on the news every day 'cause that is what the eggheads want to happen, not what will happen...big difference.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:39 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
I actually agree with them. ZR1 ugly hood, same interior, and 30k more. I'll pass and buy a modded Z06 each and everyday!!

The C7 is so badass the C6 even the ZR1 looks bleh in comparison boring imo. I can't wait January cannot come soon enough!
We like what we like. I'm indifferent on the hood window and not too sure how it will age now that this new FI Vette may not showcase the supercharger. Honestly, I'm hoping they DON'T do a window again for the fact that forced induction is nothing foreign to Corvettes for a long time even before the C6. Your viewpoint seems more subjective and completely reasonable versus some rather delusional posts I have seen in the past just because it was the LS7 vs a ZR1. But yes, I could wrap myself around a light pole with an LS7 just as quick as I would an LS9.

Edit: Speaking of LT4, I actually only have one gripe about the C7 and that's the vastly underwhelming engine bay....not a single thing inspiring about it at all. I look at the pieces engineered to create the LT1 and they are beautifully done but then it's all put together and wrapped up in plastic covers and composite manifolds. I'm so tired of these plastic engine covers. Not a fan of them when they started using them on the C4 LT-1 and have hated them ever since. At the very least with the LT4 and keeping with the tradition of that engine code, paint the intake red to give the engine bay some pop. I know the old LT5 weighs a ton and is archaic by today's standards but still to this day the most beautiful Corvette engine, just opening the hood was a conversation piece without even turning a key.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 12-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:12 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Its supposed too its called progress...OP
Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Edit: Speaking of LT4, I actually only have one gripe about the C7 and that's the vastly underwhelming engine bay....not a single thing inspiring about it at all.
This should make you feel better...

If you have not seen this yet, brace for shock:

991:

Isn't it beautiful?

I do agree with you though. They have looked really REALLY boring since the C5. I would rather it look similar to the Shelby GT500 engine bay

Last edited by Paulchristian; 12-08-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

LT-4 will be Z-06 and they'll bring back the LT-5 for he ZR-1 is my guess.

Will be interesting to see how they make this car quicker around Laguna Seca & the Ring... if 100HP more than Z-06 and 200lbs heavier... it can probably make it up... but if still down 30 or 40 HP on the ZR1... and 100LBS or more Heavier... not sure how they will do it, but can't wait!

Dave
Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I would guess that the C7 Z06 will have 650 HP, current ZR1 territory.

May weigh a tad more than the curent C6 Z06 and offer more handling inprovements.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 performance

Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Over-Rev
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
This should make you feel better...

If you have not seen this yet, brace for shock:

991:

Isn't it beautiful?

I do agree with you though. They have looked really REALLY boring since the C5. I would rather it look similar to the Shelby GT500 engine bay
The one thing that really kills me if I upgraded to a C7 will be the hideous engine bay. Plastic everywhere, cables everywhere, offset intake plumbing (I know they had to make room for the airflow diversion box, or whatever it's called, but still there has to be a different and more symmetrical way), and no room for anything other than stickers.

The C5 and C6 not only had more space under the hood, but the aftermarket was able to make some really cool pieces to add a really classic and unique look to the engine bay. It seems the C7 will be much more limited in that respect (I hope I'm wrong). In the end it's small potatoes compared to how overall amazing the C7 is, and like you said, we still have it much better than the Porsche guys in the engine compartment!!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

IMO C7 Z06 will outperform C6 Z06. It will be right on par with ZR1 or may beat it also.

Excited to see! The C7 is impressive and the widebody will definitely make it more aggressive.

I suspect blown 6.2 with about 600-650 hp for Z06.

Last edited by PEETYZ; 12-09-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

I agree about all the plastic, phony, engine covers. This is how I changed my z06's underhood look...but then I am an old guy who dislikes fake stuff.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 performance