C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Status of GM Dual-Clutch Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DCTs can handle any amount of torque with the proper strengthening and engineering; the Veyron makes over a 1000 lb-ft. Now, of course I'm not comparing the high costs associated with building such a transmission but my point is that there isn't some limited torque rating printed in a book somewhere.

I also want to point out that 99% of the supercars that use DCTs are European. These cars use high revving and/or small displacement motors that make a relatively small amount of torque.

What I'm trying to get at is that people are trying to draw parallels to the fact DCTs can't handle significant torque because most supercars don't make as much torque as most Corvettes. It's not that DCTs can't handle significant torque, it's that most cars that use them simply don't make a lot of torque. Their typical formula is different than a Corvette or Viper.

Having said that, there a lot of factors to consider before using a DCT. like cost, reliability, daily use, NVH and more need to be considered. At the top of the consideration list is weight. DCTs are bigger and weigh more. Ironically, some of the people asking for a DCT would also cry about the weight increase. There’s a “price” of admission when you use one that goes beyond cost. Porsche offers PDK for 4K so cost isn't the issue because the Corvette sells in relative volume.

Considering all factors for the Corvette, a DCT is probably best reserved for the flagship ZR1 where it needs to build from the ground up with one in mind from the start.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
OHV4LIFE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hope relating to DCT only pertains to moderators locking threads if the C7Z doesn't have one. The last thing that is needed is endless threads complaining about the lack of a DCT as was the case with the C7 general forums. Most normal people would move on and purchase the vehicle of their choice. Instead they endlessly complained about the lack of a DCT. Most people in the world aren't capable of performing critical thinking. That's true for a lot of people in this forum. People who complain about the lack of a DCT (or many other features that they wish for) act like petulant children who throw a hissy fit when they don't get what they want. They don't take into account that GM has to make numerous business decisions concerning the Corvette. Most significantly is direct cost and indirect cost associated with warranties. People usually cite other cars that have DCTs available. Most fail to mention that the DCT available for high torque applications are in very expensive automobiles. There are some technical issues that had to be overcome like packaging. Tadge mentioned that there wasn't a DCT available that met the torque requirements and also met the C7's packaging requirements. That's one reason why I don't expect for there to be a DCT in the C7Z unless they stretch the wheelbase. Also, they added the auto transmission cooler to the C7 for a purpose. I doubt they would have added this feature if they didn't intend on it being used for a track application. That's why I suspect the new 8 speed to be their automatic transmission offering for the C7Z (and that it is rated at 738 lb-ft of torque).

Last edited by OHV4LIFE; 01-01-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by OHV4LIFE
My hope relating to DCT only pertains to moderators locking threads if the C7Z doesn't have one. The last thing that is needed is endless threads complaining about the lack of a DCT as was the case with the C7 general forums. Most normal people would move on and purchase the vehicle of their choice. Instead they endlessly complained about the lack of a DCT. Most people in the world aren't capable of performing critical thinking. That's true for a lot of people in this forum. People who complain about the lack of a DCT (or many other features that they wish for) act like petulant children who throw a hissy fit when they don't get what they want. They don't take into account that GM has to make numerous business decisions concerning the Corvette. Most significantly is direct cost and indirect cost associated with warranties. People usually cite other cars that have DCTs available. Most fail to mention that the DCT available for high torque applications are in very expensive automobiles. There are some technical issues that had to be overcome like packaging. Tadge mentioned that there wasn't a DCT available that met the torque requirements and also met the C7's packaging requirements. That's one reason why I don't expect for there to be a DCT in the C7Z unless they stretch the wheelbase. Also, they added the auto transmission cooler to the C7 for a purpose. I doubt they would have added this feature if they didn't intend on it being used for a track application. That's why I suspect the new 8 speed to be their automatic transmission offering for the C7Z (and that it is rated at 738 lb-ft of torque).
Very good post.

For the bolded part, I would like to point out the wheelbase wouldn't need to be stretched. Since there are parallel power paths through the transmission, the shorter gear section compensates for the longer dual-clutch package. However, since there are two "countershafts" to accomplish the parallel power paths, the transmission will need to be either wider or taller which would require a completely different floor pan for a limited production car which gets back to the "business decision" you stated. Even if GM is able to use the same DCT in other cars, there's still the cost of a different floor pan which will have to include the cost of the required crash testing. Like you said, people need to accept no DCT in the C7 and move on.

If GM ever offers a DCT in the Corvette, it should be the only transmission choice...it's an automatic and a manual at the same time.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:11 PM
2003corvettez06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DCT > Manual > Slushbox Automatic
Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Thanks for informing me of what anyone with an IQ above 80 already knows. How about explaining how clouds form. Stating the obvious is hardly new knowledge. BTW I agree with you 100% Joe. I suppose that is the reason for stating the obvious in the first place.
must be nice to--to be so prescient as to leave all others behind.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by raj
Good points - echoes many of my sentiments as well. After four C5 and C6 Z06s, I made the switch to a GT-R and will not go back to either a traditional manual (not that this isn't engaging in a driver's car) or an auto. As you've stated, naysayers of the DCT should really experience one firsthand before maligning it. The data is all out there - Porsche doggedly stuck with the manual on the GT3 until this generation, finally admitting that this is the superior technology for street and track. Now, the Audi R8 and the Mercedes SLS also have proper DCTs. If the upcoming Z06 doesn't get one at least as an option, GM will have fallen seriously behind the eight ball.
GM is behind the 8 ball and has been for a while now. you are likely right in most regards above, but i merely ask a simple question: how many corvette sales will be lost due to the absence of a dct right now (yours, + ???)? of course, there is no way of telling, but i believe that by the time chevrolet has a chance to integrate this mechanism into their cars (which i have to believe they are trying to do--as they balance many other issues at the same time), the corporate/chevrolet die will already have been cast. the company is dealing with a host of survival issues (witness oldsmobile/pontiac, e.g.), such that they dont have the capital to think (and execute) longer term. arguably, they never did, given roger smiths totally misguided leadership. hopefully im wrong here--always a possibility. perhaps female guidance will prove to be superior to male in this case, which is what shareholders have to hope for. BL: if they have sufficient time, you will be gratified to see the dct in all chevrolet vehicles. everyone knows it to be superior in most all regards.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Guys, GM can just buy a DCT from ZF and install it in the Corvette. I am sure they can use existing designs (beefed up a little if need be) from big BMW projects or other big torque users and drive on.

There is no reason GM has to develop a DCT internally or try to cut costs by sharing it's development over a line of trucks, etc. GM can just buy an existing DCT, upgrade for strenght as needed, and offer it as a limited availability option and price it as needed. If it adds 12K to the price, so be it. Corvette is supposed to be GM's tech leader and needs the option on its track rat model.

If no one buys the DCT over a couple of model years, then cancel the option. These cars will become future collectibles...
Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
You are likely right in most regards above, but i merely ask a simple question: how many corvette sales will be lost due to the absence of a dct right now (yours, + ???)?
About 100 +/- 10 - and most of them are already bitching about it on this forum.

The Z06 will live or die on its own, and the inclusion of a torque convertor-based auto option will definitely increase sales volume. I suspect the new GM 8-speed will answer the mail for 99% of those desiring a responsive paddle-shift option. They already prototyped the changes in the A6 in the 2014 Stingray and it works great.

If you've GOT to have a DCT or auto / manual, you can have an EMCO sequential installed in your Z06 for about $ 30K. It will STILL cost $40-50K less than a Porsche (991) 911 GTS with DCT and it will pass the Porsche readily on the race track. If you've GOT TO HAVE IT - GO FOR IT.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
About 100 +/- 10 - and most of them are already bitching about it on this forum.

The Z06 will live or die on its own, and the inclusion of a torque convertor-based auto option will definitely increase sales volume. I suspect the new GM 8-speed will answer the mail for 99% of those desiring a responsive paddle-shift option. They already prototyped the changes in the A6 in the 2014 Stingray and it works great.

If you've GOT to have a DCT or auto / manual, you can have an EMCO sequential installed in your Z06 for about $ 30K. It will STILL cost $40-50K less than a Porsche (991) 911 GTS with DCT and it will pass the Porsche readily on the race track. If you've GOT TO HAVE IT - GO FOR IT.
well no. A torque converter automatic with 'paddle shift' does not belong in this era. In a luxury barge or SUV? FINE. In a sports car? no. The only sales volume increase that's going to happen is from people who want a dragster or boulevard cruiser. And the Z06 isn't a dragster or a cruiser... If anything sales increases would be marginal at best because a majority of people who buy the Z are people who track it. And if the target market tracks the car, an automatic is not the way to go. At that point the car becomes a Z06 badge for the sake of having it. It's turning the corvette into an old person car. Its something that belongs in an 1980's Mercury Land Barge, not a sports car.

AS a sports car (as super car killer; as a GTR eater; as a heat seeking Porsche missile) in the year 2014, the only 'automated' transmission GM should even consider throwing into the Z06 is a DCT or some sort of automated sequential similar to the LFA because it's well reflected in the target market. An old stinky torque converted 8 speed auto... you guys have to be trolling a bit or something. If people are going to cross shop these cars... a Z06 with an old school transmssion is going to throw it out with window be default.

A manual option and DCT option appeals to the track day enthusiast and the 1/4 mile junkies... not just the track day enthusiast OR the 1/4 mile junkies.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Black0ut
well no. A torque converter automatic with 'paddle shift' does not belong in this era.

WRONG. For a streetable sports car a MODERN TC automatic trumps a DCT everytime. The TC auto with a computer-controlled servo lockup will put the DCT back in the museum - you can quote me. Most of the big kids are already moving back to TC autos because DCT's are too HEAVY. (BTW, the DCT was invented in **** Germany for the Panzer tank - not your sports car - hence its weight.)

A manual option and DCT option appeals to the track day enthusiast and the 1/4 mile junkies... not just the track day enthusiast OR the 1/4 mile junkies.
As I said, the world is your Oyster. If you want a sequential (better for the track than a DCT), EMCO makes the best one out there and it fits in the C7. It will cost you $30K to retrofit it, but if you gotta have, you gotta have it. It's only money.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

When and if GM offers an automatic torque converter transmission and it's faster than the manual around a road course what are purists going to say?

Will the purist still buy the manual even if it's slower on a road course? Not to mention at the drag strip.....?

I drive a manual but would consider a test drive of the new transmission as what gm begins to offer in the next few years.

Open minds offers clarity to new paradigms.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Black0ut
well no. A torque converter automatic with 'paddle shift' does not belong in this era. In a luxury barge or SUV? FINE. In a sports car? no. The only sales volume increase that's going to happen is from people who want a dragster or boulevard cruiser. And the Z06 isn't a dragster or a cruiser... If anything sales increases would be marginal at best because a majority of people who buy the Z are people who track it. And if the target market tracks the car, an automatic is not the way to go. At that point the car becomes a Z06 badge for the sake of having it. It's turning the corvette into an old person car. Its something that belongs in an 1980's Mercury Land Barge, not a sports car.

AS a sports car (as super car killer; as a GTR eater; as a heat seeking Porsche missile) in the year 2014, the only 'automated' transmission GM should even consider throwing into the Z06 is a DCT or some sort of automated sequential similar to the LFA because it's well reflected in the target market. An old stinky torque converted 8 speed auto... you guys have to be trolling a bit or something. If people are going to cross shop these cars... a Z06 with an old school transmssion is going to throw it out with window be default.

"A majority of people who buy the Z are people who track it"

Please show me where you found that the majority of Z owners track their cars.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-03-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
So if the the z06 is faster on the track than all of the great foreign cars you mention, then GM will have fallen seriously behind. I always thought first place was first place. Sounds like our health care...even if it is not the best way to go we are going to do it anyway because we want to think it is true and the only way. For me I will stick with old fashioned logic...ie first is always first.
The problem with your logic is that yes, first place with a world class driver. With a gtr you don't have to be a really skilled driver
To get decent respectable numbers!

Quick Reply: Status of GM Dual-Clutch Transmissions