C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The C7R will be RED

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
When you see yellow...You know who/what it is.
I'm kind of tired of this argument. We all know what a Corvette looks like. If you go to the track You'll figure out very quickly which car is the Corvette. I have no problem identifying any of the makes of the other cars on track. The matte black BMW Z4 looked stunning and I never confused it with any other make
Old 12-13-2013, 04:25 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
I'm kind of tired of this argument. We all know what a Corvette looks like. If you go to the track You'll figure out very quickly which car is the Corvette. I have no problem identifying any of the makes of the other cars on track. The matte black BMW Z4 looked stunning and I never confused it with any other make
Sorry you're tired of the heritage colors.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Best looking paint scheme by far was the C5R's first season silver and black look. Yellow got old about 5 years ago and is not the heritage color.
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Che...ge-03-1024.jpg

Last edited by Lawdogg; 12-13-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Doug Fehan spoke directly about the original color scheme and said it was quickly scrapped because for marketing purposes it was flopping. The car was too much the same color as the pavement, it was bad in magazines and it put the car in danger on night tracks due to being hard to see.

Racing and marketing have evolved...getting and keeping sponsors is important. Heritage color schemes were simple because the budgets were simple...most were privateers...racing has evolved and for that reason schemes have evolved. Professional racing doesn't look backwards, it looks forward.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
BMW also has the smallest fan base, has no sponsored corrals, doesn't talk to the media half the time and has been probably the most reprimanded, penalized team in ALMS.

From someone on the inside I can also give a direct quote "BMW has never brought the right car to the race". The manufacturers look at BMW as an example of what not to do...look at this abomination in the Z4...it's a disgrace to the class.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by RC000E
BMW also has the smallest fan base, has no sponsored corrals, doesn't talk to the media half the time and has been probably the most reprimanded, penalized team in ALMS.

From someone on the inside I can also give a direct quote "BMW has never brought the right car to the race". The manufacturers look at BMW as an example of what not to do...look at this abomination in the Z4...it's a disgrace to the class.
How can you say that when BMW won the driver's and manufacturers championships 3 years ago? They are always putting pressure on Corvette. I assume that the Z4's problems stem from first year growing pains. Nobody races well on the first year of a new platform
Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I didn't say it...I heard it straight out of several teams mouths. The BMW is a disgrace...point me to the V8, stretched and widened chassis Z4's at the dealer. They put a super gt car in alms via waivers, but they never divulged this crazy aero body they planned. Other manufacturers signed the waiver thinking they were doing simple flares like you see on the Ferrari, Porsche and Corvettes...not something straight out of Super GT Japan.

BMW leveraged their involvement to bring in a car that was a slippery slope for the class. The beauty of GT is that passing the grandstands they look like the car at the dealership, mildly modded, yet easily identifiable. BMW stated it was temporary awaiting the release of the M4, which I believe will be their next GT platform.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default 100 percent correct!

I didn't say it...I heard it straight out of several teams mouths. The BMW is a disgrace...point me to the V8, stretched and widened chassis Z4's at the dealer. They put a super gt car in alms via waivers, but they never divulged this crazy aero body they planned. Other manufacturers signed the waiver thinking they were doing simple flares like you see on the Ferrari, Porsche and Corvettes...not something straight out of Super GT Japan.

BMW leveraged their involvement to bring in a car that was a slippery slope for the class. The beauty of GT is that passing the grandstands they look like the car at the dealership, mildly modded, yet easily identifiable. BMW stated it was temporary awaiting the release of the M4, which I believe will be their next GT platform.
I have been following the ALMS since it first started and know a thing or two about the series.

The M3 was somewhat in the spirit of the series even with the trans moved to the back UNLIKE the street car.

The other cars in the class raced what was very close in makeup of the street cars.

When that Z4 rolled out last year I was shocked.

Much like NASCAR running pushrod V8 Camrays.

Disappointed in both IMSA and BMW for taking this direction.

Bobby Rahal is a jerk too.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
I have been following the ALMS since it first started and know a thing or two about the series.

The M3 was somewhat in the spirit of the series even with the trans moved to the back UNLIKE the street car.

The other cars in the class raced what was very close in makeup of the street cars.

When that Z4 rolled out last year I was shocked.

Much like NASCAR running pushrod V8 Camrays.

Disappointed in both IMSA and BMW for taking this direction.

Bobby Rahal is a jerk too.
Amen bro...my thoughts 100%.

I'll add by saying, that I believe in the run what you brung. With the Viper, I was ok with the 8.0 and trusted the BOP efforts to sort it out. I think the varying fuel consumption of different displacements really adds to the strategy, especially in the longer races. What I don't agree with is moving drivetrain locations, changing numbers of cylinders and grossly altering the body/frame. BMW has just always been the ones trying to bend the rules in their favor and while I welcome their competition (despite owning an E36 M3 and a E46 330ci, both modified) I don't like the BMW team...hell, I don't like the current drivers, I think they're very unsportsmanlike. I'm surprised Tommy Milner came out of that group...lol.

Last edited by RC000E; 12-21-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:08 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no idea what this entire thread is all about, but could someone tell me (not very corvette knowledgeable) what the C7.R is, and what the difference between references made between the Z06 and the possibility of a Z07 for 2015? thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Jofu
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
i have no idea what this entire thread is all about, but could someone tell me (not very corvette knowledgeable) what the C7.R is, and what the difference between references made between the Z06 and the possibility of a Z07 for 2015? thanks in advance.
The C7R is the upcoming racing version of the C7. GM has claimed to have developed the C7R and the C7 Z06 in tandem, although how much of this is true we'll have to see in January (they've said the same thing about the C6R and the C6 Z06 by the way).

And about Z07: Many people thought the higher performance 2015 C7 would come out as a C7 Z07 rather than C7 Z06, but GM recently came out with a press release stating the car will be known as C7 Z06, and will be unveiled in January 2014, at the Detroit Auto Show.

Good times!

Geoff
Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Thedofuss...a quick breakdown

The American Le Mans Series started in 1999. A race that consists of multiple classes of racecar from prototype (high downforce custom chassis) to production based racecars. Gm came in with a factory backed team and started with this:

To this (and various schemes like it)

Then in 2005 became this:

To last year this which concluded the American LeMans Series, due to a merger:

From 1999-2013 Corvette Racing was the winning-est team in ALMS history. At the conclusion of the 2013 season, Corvette had won the 24 Hours of Lemans (one of the toughest races in existence) 7 times, 4 of those times in a 1, 2 finish. They also won the manufacturer and team championship 10 times, the driver championship 9 times and achieved a number of other benchmarks during their time in the series. This is why Corvettes are beast!

Now, going into 2014 the Tudor series will begin. Two series merged (ALMS and Grand Am) to bring what's really going to be one of the best racing series in the world, right here in the US.

So, thus far the leaked pictures of the C7R are:

and the z06 spy photos are

with this official GM released photo

Now you're all filled in, so look up the Tudor schedule for 2014, drive your Corvette to the race and park in the Corvette Corral and feel proud to be part of the best team there is.

Facts you should know:

Corvette owns yellow
Corvette is the favorite team of the blind...because even with your eyes closed you always know when the Vette's go by

For fun...ride along with Milner at Leguna Seca in the C6R...just go ahead and crank your speakers so your family can hear also...lol. Blue flashing lights are traction control "active" lights. Corvette developed the radar on the screen in the center console...it shows arrows indicating if it's a car in it's class or another class...and if it's gaining or losing, etc.

Or another of my favorites....a practice at night...Sebring. This is a cool video...enjoy

Last edited by RC000E; 12-22-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

RC000E,

AWESOME! Thanks for the breakdown!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:18 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

RC000E, that has to be the finest response to a question I have read on this forum to date!

Last edited by LT1xL82; 12-22-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: minor correction
Old 12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

lol...I like to educate...more fans at the races is a good thing to me. Nothing better than hanging at the corral on raceday...just wish there were more guys my age...haha.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

lol...I like to educate...more fans at the races is a good thing to me. Nothing better than hanging at the corral on raceday...just wish there were more guys my age...haha.
Great response, hope seeing you at the Rolex 24 at Daytona Corvette Corral!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:46 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I would just add this view of the C7R prototype.

Get notified of new replies

To The C7R will be RED

Old 12-22-2013, 10:32 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jofu
The C7R is the upcoming racing version of the C7. GM has claimed to have developed the C7R and the C7 Z06 in tandem, although how much of this is true we'll have to see in January (they've said the same thing about the C6R and the C6 Z06 by the way).

And about Z07: Many people thought the higher performance 2015 C7 would come out as a C7 Z07 rather than C7 Z06, but GM recently came out with a press release stating the car will be known as C7 Z06, and will be unveiled in January 2014, at the Detroit Auto Show.

Good times!

Geoff
Geoff, thanks for the clarification. appreciated, George
Old 12-22-2013, 11:12 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,306 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Thanks. I would just add this view of the C7R prototype.

This is the first shot I've seen of the C7R where you can make out the wheel design. Looks pretty close, if not identical, to the C7 Z06 wheel design.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:38 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nickTsandman
Great response, hope seeing you at the Rolex 24 at Daytona Corvette Corral!
I wish I could make Daytona, believe me....my shop schedule is pretty chaotic right now with several new builds, so its not happening. I am looking at Indianapolis and VIR this year, most likely. I've done Mid Ohio, Baltimore and Road America in the past.

Curious about attending Detroit...thats a sketchy one. Was also supposed to make Leguna last yr but schedule conflicts wrecked that one.

I love the races....was upset for no return of Mid Ohio but...Indy isnt too far.

Quick Reply: The C7R will be RED