C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06's competition

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj
Good point but also keep in mind that a lot of the competition has more advantageous weight distributions due to mid- (or rear, in the case of the 911 variants) engine layouts and/or AWD. Those with DCT also have sophisticated launch control programs - case in point: the 991 GT3 with only 475 hp runs a 3.0 0-60 and a 11.2 1320', numbers that neither the C6 Z06 nor ZR1 could touch despite superior power-to-weight ratios. Power braking may be the only option with a traditional auto and it simply won't match the brutal launch of a DCT.

Regardless of what the Z06 gets compared against, it will hold its own on a track. Question is: how will it fare in a drag race where the new benchmarks are 3 second 0-60 and 11 second quarter mile barriers respectively. Ironically, this has been the Corvette's Achilles heel for the reasons mentioned above, and it remains to be seem whether the new Z06 gets the proper running gear to address this.
True. The Corvette will have dramically improved launches and 1/4s with the 8 but it's always going to have a little trouble launching with that much torque and the weight distribution. However, that's no big deal in my opinion. Max potential gets reached at some point without AWD or more weight in the rear.

Trap speeds and 0 - 100 or even 0 - 185 will be the best indicators of raw speed and acceleration.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by G352C6
Current competitor for me would be the Porsche Cayenne GTS. Was really close to pulling the trigger today. Glad I didn't, because I am no. 2 on the list at my local dealer for the Z06.
This makes no sense to me. You are saying that you are cross shopping a LARGE SUV against the C7Z06?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
Last time I checked the ZR1 humiliated the "new" Viper...Ralph went haywire (hes an idiot anyway) and SRT build a new car which they DIDNT race against a ZR1 and claimed 0.08 of a sec victory?

:rof l: Good job..vs the past generation Corvette LOL.
For the record I think the price and lack of modding potential make the new viper a fail, but I think you should check again, the TA viper did infact race against the zR1 and did beat it(you posting the margin of victory says you know this, and have typical CF selective memory, which makes your whole post not make any sense, so the Zr1 embarrassed the new viper but got beat by the new viper? Which is it? Another fact that is being ignored is that viper wore the same tires on another test that was independent and the 0.8 margin turned into 3 full seconds.
You can laugh at yourself , I could care less about who beats who, just get your facts straight.
I believe the C7 Z will outperform the TA viper and for a much better price.
TA vipers are hitting dealerships right now at 116k
BTW what are your track times? I can bet you have never seen one

Last edited by NytmereZ; 12-15-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by keagan
That's a tough list of cars. Hopefully this beast takes care of them. You think it's based only around a track or at the strip as well?
I don't think the top 3 cars on that list are comparable to a corvette, what's next throwing a Bugatti in there?, some people go a little to far when comparing true exotics to a mass produced car 1/4 of the price, lambo owners etc aren't cross shopping with Chevy .
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I don't think the top 3 cars on that list are comparable to a corvette, what's next throwing a Bugatti in there?, some people go a little to far when comparing true exotics to a mass produced car 1/4 of the price, lambo owners etc aren't cross shopping with Chevy .
I tend to agree, I believe Porsche GT2 or GT3 along with the GTR will be it's outright competitors. That DCT in the tank and PDK in the Porsche are what's moving those cars. Hopefully the Z gets the 8 speed n a good one at it.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 PM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
This makes no sense to me. You are saying that you are cross shopping a LARGE SUV against the C7Z06?
Does to me. A lightly used 2013 Cayenne GTS is about the same price range as the new Z06. I'm struggling between practicality vs my bass *** side.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Does to me. A lightly used 2013 Cayenne GTS is about the same price range as the new Z06. I'm struggling between practicality vs my bass *** side.
Okay, if it works for you. But it is a little unusual to cross shop two completely different cars. But there ya go.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
The C7 ZO6 will compete with the same cars the C6 ZO6 competed with.

My guess is that it will outclass the viper from a performance standpoint (as the C6 did). I think this C7 Z will also best the current GT-R around the track. I think the ZO6 vs 991 GT3 will be a drivers race with the edge going to the ZO6 because of the hp advantage. The 991 will be easier to drive fast though (as usual). The Mustang still has some serious growing up to do before it will do anything significant on a track

Having said the above, I believe there is a MONSTER in development by our friends at Nissan. Those Japanese are being very very quiet. I suspect the next GT-R will make the current one seem like a dinosaur...and that, my friends, is a scary thought...
Not so sure the Vettes advantage over the GT3 is driver only. The C6 Z06 is very easy to drive very fast. It is a pleasure to use one to embarrass GT3s. Even my stock 03Z embarrassed the 08s.

Bill
Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by keagan
I tend to agree, I believe Porsche GT2 or GT3 along with the GTR will be it's outright competitors. That DCT in the tank and PDK in the Porsche are what's moving those cars. Hopefully the Z gets the 8 speed n a good one at it.
an 8 speed Z would be killer
Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

The C7 Z will have great performance without losing any practicality, this is both the upside for people who drive their vettes and have fun(as they should) vs people (the Zaino, car show guys)who think they are buying a car that won't greatly depreciate.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

For the record I think the price and lack of modding potential make the new viper a fail, but I think you should check again, the TA viper did infact race against the zR1 and did beat it(you posting the margin of victory says you know this, and have typical CF selective memory, which makes your whole post not make any sense, so the Zr1 embarrassed the new viper but got beat by the new viper? Which is it? Another fact that is being ignored is that viper wore the same tires on another test that was independent and the 0.8 margin turned into 3 full seconds.
You can laugh at yourself , I could care less about who beats who, just get your facts straight.
I was there at the track(Laguna Seca) during the Motor Trend test sitting, talking with the Motor Trend guys. The initial test was a C6 ZR1 vs the new Viper GTS. The ZR1 destroyed the Viper by 2.07 seconds (255.408 feet). Then SRT came back a few months later after the outcry of Ralph with the Viper TA and set up a new time, beating the ZR1 time by only .08 seconds (10 feet). That's hardly a smackdown. Also considering that SRT came a couple days early to set the TA up then call in Pobst to set the time. Viper will get it together but the new ZO6 will spank it big time until they do.

Last edited by skank; 12-16-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

You should definitely get your facts straight.. The TA was fine tuned for this very track by SRT which took couple of days. And then they called Randy. There were NO ZR1 present. NONE. And whats with the "typical CF collective memory"? You not only have absolutely no clue whatsoever about what the **** you are talking about...but you also have to resort to personal attacks to make your point? :rof l:

As for my track times...fast enough.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lavender
You should definitely get your facts straight.. The TA was fine tuned for this very track by SRT which took couple of days. And then they called Randy. There were NO ZR1 present. NONE. And whats with the "typical CF collective memory"? You not only have absolutely no clue whatsoever about what the **** you are talking about...but you also have to resort to personal attacks to make your point? :rof l:

As for my track times...fast enough.
My facts are fine,I don't care if the car was there for a month(like the 1st zr1 that was at the ring for months setting a record , only to be beat in a half day by SRT, stop you excuses a win is a win.
as for your track times... Playstation doesn't count , you comments wreak of magazine racer .
Personal attacks ? Where? Just because I don't agree with the rubbish that you wrote(which is rubbish and doesn't make sence,) that is not a personal attach , your just embarrassed cause your statements are inaccurate .
NOOB needs to hey a clue

Last edited by NytmereZ; 12-16-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by skank
I was there at the track(Laguna Seca) during the Motor Trend test sitting, talking with the Motor Trend guys. The initial test was a C6 ZR1 vs the new Viper GTS. The ZR1 destroyed the Viper by 2.07 seconds (255.408 feet). Then SRT came back a few months later after the outcry of Ralph with the Viper TA and set up a new time, beating the ZR1 time by only .08 seconds (10 feet). That's hardly a smackdown. Also considering that SRT came a couple days early to set the TA up then call in Pobst to set the time. Viper will get it together but the new ZO6 will spank it big time until they do.
Your post is pretty accurate (remember I could care less about the new viper, it's to expensive and should waste the corvette at that price , just don't go into the,,,SRT had a couple of days to set up thing, when the zr1 set ring times it was there for months, only to be broken by some customer SRT's in a half day.
I think the z is going to hand viper a beating, even if an ACR is released(which I doubt do to lousy sales) it will be very expensive even if it outperforms the Z way to expensive for the average buyer.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

My facts are fine,I don't care if the car was there for a month(like the 1st zr1 that was at the ring for months setting a record , only to be beat in a half day by SRT, stop you excuses a win is a win.
as for your track times... Playstation doesn't count , you comments wreak of magazine racer .
Yeah the ACR was there to beat the "record" of the ZR1 after it spent 2 days in a local race shop being "fine tuned"..

Oh and I don't do consoles/pc games or whatever. Nice try there tho...

Last edited by Lavender; 12-16-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

When it comes to the viper as the Z competition, I give it much respect, have always admired how brutal and raw that car is. Whether SRT had to use another car (TA) or not just to beat the ZR1 or for their own reason doesn't really matter, just shows that Chevy gave us one hell of a monster with the ZR1. I do believe however if a ACR is made then we have a bit of a problem as that car has always dominated on the track.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:00 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Having both Viper TA and C7 ZO6 will be great when the magazines start the tests this year. The Car and Driver Lightning Lap issue will be out in a few weeks so we will see how the Z51 did. It would not surprise me if SRT would bring out the new Viper ACR at Detroit since they did the same when Corvette debuted the ZR1 in January of 08. I recall a photo of a new ACR on this forum awhile back. Maybe we could view it again.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06's competition

Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM
HZ3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting underwhelmed with my SS Camaro and I am potentially looking to go upmarket. My big 3 right now that I will be looking at 2 of which are going to be presented at The Detroit Auto Show are the M4 and the C7 Z06 Corvette.

While I have no doubts the C7 will outperform an M4 stock and cost more my budget to highly modify the inline six will be practically doubled if not tripled by the estimated 100k starting price that's being reported by various automotive publications online.

The third is waiting awhile and looking at getting an R36 and taking it to Switzer. I am concerned however with Mizuno retiring and the fact that they will be using a hybrid setup for the first time. People in the GTR community are worried about the potential for modding as well as the weight of the car.

While I doubt a Z06 let alone an M4 Coupe will be anywhere near its level of performance in Fall 2015- Spring 2016 they will be fairly straight forward engines to modify...

Nismo has been reported saying they want to focus on value and accessibility for the next GTR and while it might be nice to keep the sticker sub 150 grand I have concerns of what that might mean.

So while I may not have the same taste in cars those are the vehicles currently competing when it comes to my checkbook.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not so sure the Vettes advantage over the GT3 is driver only. The C6 Z06 is very easy to drive very fast. It is a pleasure to use one to embarrass GT3s. Even my stock 03Z embarrassed the 08s.

Bill
I owned a 997.1 GT3 and have driven (never owned) a few C6 ZO6s now. IMO, the GT3 inspires more confidence. I feel more in control of it at speed. This is the impression I get. I have not yet driven a C7 but all who have seem to indicate that the steering feel and overall driving dynamics are much improved. I am sure the C7Z will be a huge improvement in this respect over the C6Z

As for the 991 GT3 vs. C7Z, l still believe it to be a drivers race for your average driver. If both cars are placed in the hands of professionals, I see the ZO7 coming out on top
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I owned a 997.1 GT3 and have driven (never owned) a few C6 ZO6s now. IMO, the GT3 inspires more confidence. I feel more in control of it at speed. This is the impression I get. I have not yet driven a C7 but all who have seem to indicate that the steering feel and overall driving dynamics are much improved. I am sure the C7Z will be a huge improvement in this respect over the C6Z

As for the 991 GT3 vs. C7Z, l still believe it to be a drivers race for your average driver. If both cars are placed in the hands of professionals, I see the ZO7 coming out on top
Any shots of the GT3?

Quick Reply: C7 Z06's competition