C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

FLAC not offered in stingrays

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:27 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default FLAC not offered in stingrays

FLAC is the closest to CD quality compressed music that can be loaded on a flash drive, I have placed a fd with flac into the usb port of a stingray, does not recognize, it did recognize the one mp3 on the drive, I contacted Chevrolet, they acknowledge flac not a file extension incorporated into the new vette. what does the corvette community think about this, big deal or no deal, I want chevy to put flac in the stingray, this post may help, of course you all know CD players no longer available in the stingray. If Chevrolet does not incorporate flac in future systems, is there an option to play flac and send to infotainement system?

Last edited by rockit1; 12-28-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: responses
Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

That's a bummer. Mp3 quality sucks.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:07 PM
2001 ls1 ss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJ-92
That's a bummer. Mp3 quality sucks.
That's a silly thing to say.

A properly encoded MP3 is perfectly fine. There are a very select few that can tell the difference between a correctly done MP3 and a CD even on a high end home stereo, then factor in that it is a factory car stereo and all you're doing with FLAC is wasting a lot of space on your memory stick.

I'm very picky and have no problem whatsoever with good 192VBR MP3s.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:20 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 ls1 ss
That's a silly thing to say.

A properly encoded MP3 is perfectly fine. There are a very select few that can tell the difference between a correctly done MP3 and a CD even on a high end home stereo, then factor in that it is a factory car stereo and all you're doing with FLAC is wasting a lot of space on your memory stick.

/thread.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I don't consider myself an audiophile, I think MP3 sounds pretty good given all the other noises while driving. Car audio has come a long way....

Old 12-28-2013, 12:02 AM
cdavekirk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a silly thing to say. A properly encoded MP3 is perfectly fine. There are a very select few that can tell the difference between a correctly done MP3 and a CD even on a high end home stereo, then factor in that it is a factory car stereo and all you're doing with FLAC is wasting a lot of space on your memory stick.

Actually your statement is rather silly.

Mp3's don't sound bad if you are used to listening to low bit rate "lossy" audio from an iPhone or other low end audio device. Personally I'm tired of the compromise. The cost of storage is ridiculously cheap these days and the ability to play a .fla file would be great! In fact storage is now cheap enough and readily available that just going straight pcm or wav is feasible.

Everybody has gotten so used to the &*^% sound of Mp3's and BS playback devices that good audio has taken a back seat for the last decade at least. Many people don't know what they are missing until they hear it.

My wife is in no way an audiophile but can pick out an mp3 a mile away just from the lack of dynamics.

I'm sure a simple software update would allow the C7 to decode a flac !
Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 AM
2001 ls1 ss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdavekirk
Actually your statement is rather silly.

Mp3's don't sound bad if you are used to listening to low bit rate "lossy" audio from an iPhone or other low end audio device. Personally I'm tired of the compromise. The cost of storage is ridiculously cheap these days and the ability to play a .fla file would be great! In fact storage is now cheap enough and readily available that just going straight pcm or wav is feasible.

Everybody has gotten so used to the &*^% sound of Mp3's and BS playback devices that good audio has taken a back seat for the last decade at least. Many people don't know what they are missing until they hear it.

My wife is in no way an audiophile but can pick out an mp3 a mile away just from the lack of dynamics.

I'm sure a simple software update would allow the C7 to decode a flac !
If you're a purist why not just take the PCM WAV file directly off the CD with no compression at all? I still doubt anyone could pick out the difference in a blind A/B test with a good 192VBR or 320CBR MP3 file using a decent encoder (LAME ideally).

Perhaps people have gotten used to lousy quality MP3s, but again if you know how to properly rip and encode them, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between MP3, FLAC, and the CD itself. Technically even CDs are "lossy" due to the original A to D conversion and the limitations of 44,100 samples per second and 16 bit resolution.

Obviously the device you play it on can make a difference as well but that's the same for any medium. A lot of stereos have digital media as an "afterthought" and that impacts the quality, regardless of MP3 or FLAC or whatever format.

Not saying all formats always sound the same no matter what, just saying it is misleading to blame it on the MP3 format. I've heard awful FLACs and incredible MP3s, and vice versa.

I have a pro audio card in my home theater PC and MP3s output to the home stereo via its DACs (using analog cables) sound better than a CD played via my blu ray player's digital output using the fairly decent DACs in my Onkyo receiver, so there are a lot of factors. But in a noisy car using factory components? I'd be surprised if even a 128 bit MP3 sounded any different than CD.

Not saying anything is wrong with FLAC, and it would be nice to have support for it in the factory stereo, just saying a blanket statement like "MP3s suck" is pointless.

Last edited by 2001 ls1 ss; 12-28-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default stingray does not recognize wav or or pcm

If you're a purist why not just take the PCM WAV file directly off the CD with no compression at all? I still doubt anyone could pick out the difference in a blind A/B test with a good 192VBR or 320CBR MP3 file using a decent encoder (LAME ideally).

Perhaps people have gotten used to lousy quality MP3s, but again if you know how to properly rip and encode them, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between MP3, FLAC, and the CD itself. Technically even CDs are "lossy" due to the original A to D conversion and the limitations of 44,100 samples per second and 16 bit resolution.

Obviously the device you play it on can make a difference as well but that's the same for any medium. A lot of stereos have digital media as an "afterthought" and that impacts the quality, regardless of MP3 or FLAC or whatever format.

Not saying all formats always sound the same no matter what, just saying it is misleading to blame it on the MP3 format. I've heard awful FLACs and incredible MP3s, and vice versa.

I have a pro audio card in my home theater PC and MP3s output to the home stereo via its DACs (using analog cables) sound better than a CD played via my blu ray player's digital output using the fairly decent DACs in my Onkyo receiver, so there are a lot of factors. But in a noisy car using factory components? I'd be surprised if even a 128 bit MP3 sounded any different than CD.

Not saying anything is wrong with FLAC, and it would be nice to have support for it in the factory stereo, just saying a blanket statement like "MP3s suck" is pointless.
the point is best mp3 is 360 kbps and flac averages 800 to 1000 kbps depending on the source, on long trips, 1000 or more miles, I can tell the difference cruising in my vette between flac and mp3
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rockit1
the point is best mp3 is 360 kbps and flac averages 800 to 1000 kbps depending on the source, on long trips, 1000 or more miles, I can tell the difference cruising in my vette between flac and mp3
You guys obviously know more about this stuff than I, and I was reading to maybe learn something but I'm really confused... What does the length of the trip have to do with discerning a quality difference between two file types?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SONKIST
You guys obviously know more about this stuff than I, and I was reading to maybe learn something but I'm really confused... What does the length of the trip have to do with discerning a quality difference between two file types?
Dry sump eardrums in those high perf ears. Takes 'em longer to warm up.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalC7
Dry sump eardrums in those high perf ears. Takes 'em longer to warm up.
Winner!

Not to bag on anyone, but loss-less audio formats in car audio environments are kind of a waste...especially in a stock audio setup. I'm running some of the best components in my truck's stereo right now, and while driving you cannot pick out the difference between a CD and my MP3's because the background road noise masks the differences and generally drowns out the imperfections. Of course when the truck is parked and I am running off the battery...well yes I can differentiate the two.

The nifty thing about most OEM head units is that they allow an AUX input from the back of the unit (yeah you have to get all up in the dash to find it usually) which you can utilize a playback device that can recognize FLAC. Cumbersome...you bet your *** it is, but if you really need FLAC to enjoy your music on the road, then you do what you gotta do.

Get notified of new replies

To FLAC not offered in stingrays

Quick Reply: FLAC not offered in stingrays