C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ho hum......not really blown away by the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin
Is it just me?

Edit.....

After looking at some of the data at the NCM http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/2015/index.shtml, the car is truly impressive.....

Too bad that was not the initial feeling after that live reveal.
It's not just you, I'm not debating the performance numbers I'm saying I think it looks like a Performer that a teenager drew on a iPad. I'm not to excited abut the supercharger as I prefer a turbo or a large CID. I hope in the future GM will offer all the grills painted body color from the factory.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Building 500 good luck then the mark up will high!
Yeah... I call BS on that one, I know you are just repeating what your were told... but no way in hell GM is going to limit themselves to 500 cars when they could sell thousands of them.... They have millions of dollars in R&D costs to recover, and they already are going to wait until this time next year to start shipping the z06's, and non-Z51 C7's are already starting to sit on dealer lots, and are selling with 2k discounts. No way... they will make as many as they can, and sell as many as possible.

Also, I would never pay a single penny in mark up, and honestly, would look for at least 1-2k of MSRP. TNH I feel it is foolish to pay a markup.. that is money you just throw away, never to be seen again.... I know... people do what they please with their money, pay to be first, etc. etc. I just don't get it.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I disagree with this. From an "all-around" perspective, the GT-R is a more usable car. It has AWD, 4-seats, and a DCT trans. The Z06 on the other hand, is a much more focused car, and in the right hands, 'can' be faster around a roadcourse than a GT-R.

Both great cars, but different strengths and weaknesses. I've owned both, so I'm speaking from experience.
I have also driven both cars on the track at Willow Springs on both Streets and the Big track. Don't get me wrong the GT-R is a fun car in it's own right and i would have taken a GT-R over the C6 platform any day of the week. After driving the C7 Z51...that decision became a toss up, the leaned in favor of the Vette due to the handling of the new C7 being so much tighter than the GT-R and outgoing C6 and that's just from a fun blast around town.

The DCT in the GT-R I drove (09 and 11) seemed to hate driving in regular conditions, I was getting odd down shifts and hesitation on upshifts when trying to drive semi casually. In the end the DCT was better to drive in manual than auto for around town putting. I am sure the newer GT-R's are better, but I have seen this issue in other high HP DCT applications as well. On the track the DCT is a wonder machine, I think it is one of the best systems available, but in a car that for myself will be a DD, the prospect of having a finicky DCT is just not in the cards. If we were talking about a Ferrari 458 I would be willing to make the sacrifice, but since the Z06 will have an option that allows me to have my cake and eat it too it's kind of a no brainer.

I had really hoped that Nissan would take the knowledge it has gained from the GT-R program and incorporated it into the 370Z, but that car is a pig in comparison, it's sad that the only car i am even remotely excited about to come from Asia is a damn Kia GT4 Concept...a freaking KIA!

Last edited by Supermassive; 01-13-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isellpower
Looks good, numbers are excellent. However, without a DCT you can't really call it a "world class" sports car. Most every other world class sports car isn't even offered with an automatic or manual for that matter. Sadly, the ZO6 will continue to be second in the most semi-affordable high-end sports car category. Perhaps we can finally shut the GTR crowd up with the ZR1.
I don't think any sports car can be world class until they all have Formula One engines.... 1.6 liter V6 turbo
Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
It's not just you, I'm not debating the performance numbers I'm saying I think it looks like a Performer that a teenager drew on a iPad. I'm not to excited abut the supercharger as I prefer a turbo or a large CID. I hope in the future GM will offer all the grills painted body color from the factory.
Someone posted in the C7 section a photoshop of the car with all the black bit painted body color and it looks kinda bland. I am sure some people like that kind of thing, but the edgy race car look is what sells cars nowadays. Of course there's always the Black color option...hides all those vents nicely
Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
We will see! For now your idea is just as big of a crock.
The dealer probably has better info than you but we will see!
Hope it is not 500 cars!
For the most part Dealers likely know less about it than the people in this forum TBH. Saying crap like "they are limited to 500" is a classic "better get down here and give me a non-refundable deposit committing you to buy from me at an outragous mark up or lose your money" sales tactic.

I would take it with a very large grain of salt ...
Old 01-13-2014, 02:09 PM
C6Sixspeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gadfly
Yeah... I call BS on that one, I know you are just repeating what your were told... but no way in hell GM is going to limit themselves to 500 cars when they could sell thousands of them.... They have millions of dollars in R&D costs to recover, and they already are going to wait until this time next year to start shipping the z06's, and non-Z51 C7's are already starting to sit on dealer lots, and are selling with 2k discounts. No way... they will make as many as they can, and sell as many as possible.

Also, I would never pay a single penny in mark up, and honestly, would look for at least 1-2k of MSRP. TNH I feel it is foolish to pay a markup.. that is money you just throw away, never to be seen again.... I know... people do what they please with their money, pay to be first, etc. etc. I just don't get it.
Yep, calling BS too. There is no way they show the car now, get all the hype, wait a year before finally selling it and then limit it to just 500 cars the first year. And GM gets nothing from the mark-ups that would follow. They'll build as many as they can sell.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by DRLC5
I really want to see it in other colors
Here ya go...

forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z06-discussion/3403817-here-are-some-pics-of-the-new-z06-in-various-colors.html
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
This is not really true... If you put the same semi-slick DOT track tires on the GTR there will be no spanking by anyone and It is just as much, if not more so, an all around sports car.

I loved my Z06 and equally loved my GTR; Both had different positives and negatives... If I had to choose between another Z06 or a GTR today, I would take a GTR. If faced with that same choice once this C7Z comes out then I think the Z06 is the obvious choice; that is until the R36 is released anyway...

Really no one can say how good or how bad this new auto is until the car is released and we can drive it. I completely understand why there is doubt that it will perform as well as GM is selling it. Based on other performance auto's I have driven, even those with lightning fast "shift times", they still tend to be a bit "laggy" and lack the same responsiveness found in good DCT's. That said just being a DCT is certainly no guarantee that it going to be any better; All DCT's are not created equal. Some our outstanding, while others are freaking terrible.

Time will tell where in that range this 8 speed falls.
You are aware that the factory Dunlops are as fast/faster than R888's on the GT-R right? There is not a huge gap in tire performance.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Sixspeed
Yep, calling BS too. There is no way they show the car now, get all the hype, wait a year before finally selling it and then limit it to just 500 cars the first year. And GM gets nothing from the mark-ups that would follow. They'll build as many as they can sell.
They didn't put in an auto and Targa top just to sell 500.

These dealers are sometimes GM's worst enemy. Some buyers when they hear limited production, also hear high markups, long waits, and possible order cancellations. Then they go buy another car from a different manufacturer. GM should put in a hotline to report any dealer saying production is limited.

Michael

Quick Reply: Ho hum......not really blown away by the Z06