C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Some people are still stuck in the days when the Corvette and Z06 in general was another high performance car. The Corvette has made huge leaps and bounds since then.

Let's not forget when the 06 C6Z came out how many people in the first year were paying 100k or there abouts.

I think one hold up may be GM's tendency to quickly start discounting cars so people may be willing to sit back and wait for the price to come down. I don't think there is any way it would start at over 100k. But there will be PLENTY of the 100k versions (Z07) sold.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I think there is a pretty big risk in bringing a new car out, right now, and it has to do with the economy. If the economy continues fumbling along, some of these new cars may survive, but a lot of folks are stuck at an income level that means their real income is shrinking. A lot of others are unemployed. That makes the idea of spending big bucks on a car seem downright irresponsible.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 PM
qictrk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it will start at about 80K, but then the options will be many, and hard to pass up. That's where the 100K kicks in. Cecil..........
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think GM for a minute expects to sell huge volume of Z06s. It a halo car.
It brings interest and respect for GM . They will sell quite a few base c7s but likely still not as many as cars like Camaro, etc.

Not everyone wants a 2 seater sports car. And not everyone would want to spend 50k or more on a car that might not be a daily driver. The corvette is always going to be a bit of a rich man's toy. Its not super practical and its not the kind of car you really want to be driving in winter months in many places or car you want to put really high miles on if you expect to get anything for it when you resell. I don't expect to see lots of c7 z06 out there even if it has an 8 or 10 year run. I would except to see a fair number of c7 base cars though. There may be more z06 out there now since GM has opted to put them out in auto as well as manual. I for one am a buyer now for c7 z06 where was likely not going to be one if they didn't bring out the auto. So would say good move on Gm's part to offer it both ways to please everyone and would also be good move on Gm's part to bring it out in Vert form ASAP.
Since Corvette is a "toy" to many people and many people love convertibles especially if they live in a place that has the weather for it then only makes sense to offer it both ways. Removable roof is also nice but not going to replace a full vert.

I also think GM doesn't really need to bother with Grand sport wide body base car this time around and doesn't need to bother with a ZR1. But those things are up to GM. I am just happy it looks like they have given the Corvette faithful basically a ZR1 for Z06 pricing with tons of nice upgrades in pretty much every area of the car.

Only wish they started shipping them mid 2014 not beginning 2015. Want them to come out and start depreciating!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

I think that GM has made a business case for the base Z06 well under $100K and for that we can thank the Automatic transmission and Convertible versions. These two additions will hugely increase the number of Z06s GM can sell, and hence reduce the overall selling price for everyone. At least I hope so! lol
Bish
Old 01-26-2014, 06:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocita
I expect a loaded Z06 will cost close to 100k and am surprised by the many journalists, bloggers, commenters etc… that question spending that kind of money on a "lowly" corvette. :

I haven't seen these types of comments.

If anything, I've seen comments about the vette's "bang for the buck" and what a performance bargain it is - especially now that the interior and other items have been addressed.

Have seen journalist refer it to as one of the best in the world, and stating it longer needs the previous ending of, "for the money".
Old 01-26-2014, 08:11 PM
F430F1
Advanced

Regardless of price, I will get one. My dealer is working on getting me an early allocation next year. We will see how it goes........Steve
Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2147
I wouldn't spend a 100 grand on any car

That is why I always buy used. Unless you are crazy rich to the point that $100k means no more to you than $5k, it doesn't make any kind of good sense.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM
F430F1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

That is why I always buy used. Unless you are crazy rich to the point that $100k means no more to you than $5k, it doesn't make any kind of good sense.
As long as you say thanks to those who can buy new so that you can buy used. Since it would not work if everyone could only buy used .......Steve
Old 01-26-2014, 08:37 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 609 Likes on 191 Posts

I just do not get the logic....who would pay 100K for a Chevy when Porsche is just a VW bug as well yet so many gush over it.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Velocita
Advanced

Originally Posted by zland
I just do not get the logic....who would pay 100K for a Chevy when Porsche is just a VW bug as well yet so many gush over it.
I respect the 911, but I just do not get the styling at all. I see a pumped up beetle! To each their own, but not for me.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by F430F1
As long as you say thanks to those who can buy new so that you can buy used. Since it would not work if everyone could only buy used .......Steve
Never said I couldn't...just said I wouldn't. However, yes...I would like to thank you all for keeping my car garaged and keeping the miles low). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 01-26-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Medic Man
Racer

Someone who likes the car and has the money to buy it. Seems pretty logical to me!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Where does this "blue collar" stuff come from??? The Corvette is NOT a blue collar car. A blue collar worker would be lucky to drive a Camry. No $55K (and that's for a very rare base model) car is classified as "blue collar".

The Corvette has been a dream car for many including myself. I remember dreaming about it as a teenager. I remember putting Corvette posters on my wall and hoping I could afford to own it one day.

It is not a car the masses can afford nor should it be.
You might NOT be a redneck if ...

... you don't know that the trucks everybody drives around here (very rural county with a large military base nearby) often cost as much as low-option Corvettes, and burn a lot more fuel. If the masses can't afford new Corvettes, perfectly good used ones at minivan prices are plentiful.

Also, some of us don't think of "blue collar" as a synonym for "poor." If you have a skilled-labor type job and otherwise low expenses, Corvettes can be done, otherwise Chevy couldn't have sold 1.6 million of them. You just have to have your priorities in order.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller

... you don't know that the trucks everybody drives around here (very rural county with a large military base nearby) often cost as much as low-option Corvettes, and burn a lot more fuel. If the masses can't afford new Corvettes, perfectly good used ones at minivan prices are plentiful.

Also, some of us don't think of "blue collar" as a synonym for "poor." If you have a skilled-labor type job and otherwise low expenses, Corvettes can be done, otherwise Chevy couldn't have sold 1.6 million of them. You just have to have your priorities in order.
I have to agree.

The equation of high end performance at a very attainable price is, in my opinion, the main factor that has allowed the Corvette to last for over 60 years. The Corvette has always been the performance bargain. Of course, the 'prestige' catagory at the country club has eluded this car. Price and commonality will do that. However, that's part of the legacy and the success of Corvette.

As far as the Z06 and the near, if not over $100K price tag. I don't see this a bad thing either. For what it appears to bring to the table, or should I say track, even at that price, it is still a performance bargain. The real genius will be if GM can start this car off in the mid/high 70's at the base level.

There will always be those that will snub their nose at the Corvette, simply because it is a Chevrolet, no matter how good it is, or how much it costs. But that's an ego issue and nothing else. Point is, there's nothing to gained by trying to impress this group. So GM should say with the formula that has kept the Vette successful for six decades. Attainable to those folks that get up everyday, do their job well enough to keep it, and pay their bills. The Corvette is a nice reward, whether your collar is blue or white.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Nightstalker Medic
Pro

I plan on buying mine through Mark Furman at Criswell and doing a Museum delivery.

If it is 100K so be it.

The wife wants its. She get what she wants. The wife digs Corvettes like I do. Happy wife, happy home.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 AM
JsnMR2
Pro

Nope, I would not... I'd rather let someone else take a 20K hit for putting 5,000 miles on it first.

As someone else said, the first couple of years sees crazy depreciation. You can enjoy it for many years beyond that without loosing your ***. (Toooo bad anyways)

Some people like to leverage their money by borrowing from a bank. On cars like these, I like to leverage my money by letting the original owner take a huge hit..

Get notified of new replies

To who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Medic Man
Someone who likes the car and has the money to buy it. Seems pretty logical to me!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 AM
JsnMR2
Pro

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Never said I couldn't...just said I wouldn't. However, yes...I would like to thank you all for keeping my car garaged and keeping the miles low). Thanks in advance.
Precisely...

I bought my C6Z with 7K miles on it, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30K in mods on it, for 30K less then it stickered for brand new..

That's 30K (not including mods) that I can go buy more real estate or toys with. Seems like a plan to me.

Although, if 100K for a new car doesn't bother you, and you'd rather not invest the savings, then no big deal buying it new.

To the point, I don't see 100K as to much for a "chevy" of this caliber at all.

Same thing was said for the NSX. Same thing is said for the GTR. Both great cars regardless of the Acura and Nissan badges.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller

Where I live in Texas it is nothing for people to drop 50k plus on a pickup. Told one guy who asked me what I paid for the C7... less than what you paid for that new truck!

Quick Reply: who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!