C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:22 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Runs11s
Anyone who buys ANY car, no matter the price, and thinks it is a good investment is a fool. Between depreciation and fickle markets, you have no real control.

Buy a car - ANY car - because you enjoy it. If it costs you $100K and you can afford it that's up to you. Would I pay $100K for a Vette (or any car)? If I wanted the car badly enough, yes.

Is it a wise, financially sound decision? No. But most people buy cars - especially high end sports cars - because they WANT THE CAR. Any accountant in America will tell you that you are insane for buying a new car.

But who lives to satisfy the accountants? Not me, not the nearly 5000 ZR1 buyers, etc. If yoiu are an ENTHUSIAST, you get it. IF you are an INVESTOR, any car for $100k makes NO sense.

For me, the grin that a car like this new Z06 puts on my face is priceless. You do only live once and if you live it right, once is enough.
WELL SAID!!!!!!!:chee rs::chee rs::chee rs:
Old 01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
JsnMR2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
isnt that a good thing that the are going for good money used?
i think BTW that it was probably a GT3 RS.
GT3 RS 4.0 are going for 350 375K!!!
Sure. It's a great thing for people who bought them new!

Aside from their great looks, amazing handling, and superb build quality, it's just not enough car for me, for the money. Maybe it's a power thing.. I've always been into power.. I know lacking power in comparison to some does not in any way make them bad cars.. It's just me I guess. Also, for that kind of coin, you can get some more unique, more exotic cars.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:37 PM
4utoc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Speednet
As the owner of a C7 and an Audi A8L, I can tell you that you're wrong about German cars. They are wonderfully built. Audi absolutely makes the best interiors of any car. And the ride quality and adjustability for a large luxury car is outstanding. My Audi has had an e-diff and electronic dynamic steering since before the C7 was even announced.

I'd still rather drive my C7 than the Audi because the Corvette is such a joy to drive, but to state that German cars and German engineering is not anything special is just plain wrong.

Further, your assertion that Japanese cars are better than German cars is ridiculous in the extreme. We won't even think about buying Lexus cars anymore because of all the problems we have experienced with our multiple Lexus cars over the years. They seem great when you pull off the lot, but in a couple of years you have to start expecting exhaust fumes, faulty radiators, ill-working brakes and rotors, and constant trips to the repair shop.

My assumption is that you are stating these things because of a lack of experience with German cars. Chevrolet has done the right thing by acknowledging the excellence of German engineering, and setting about to make their cars even better.
As an owner of an M5 and C6 Z06 AND a Honda, I will say that there are good things about each. I would definitely trust the Honda on a cross country trip before the M5 even though I think the (E39) M5 is pretty solid.
In my opinion German Engineering is used to torture Americans, but the right car can still be great.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 PM
bluedevil 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, let me say that I think your numbers are off. Have no documented proof and won't pretend to but I firmly believe that a loaded Z07 will be closer to $120K. As it pertains to who will or won't, I for one bought a ZR1 and loved every mile I put on it. Yes, I will happily pay the MSRP and enjoy (again) every moment in it
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
JsnMR2
Pro

I've noticed most ZR owners tend to believe (or want) the new Z06 will cost 120K or so, while Z06 owners think they will cost slightly more then a C6Z did.

I'd put money down, that these things won't touch 120K. Maybe a tad over 100K, loaded.

Is it that it would be frustrating to ZR1 owners to have a like (or better) car come out for significantly less money? I could see that, I guess.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JsnMR2
Sure. It's a great thing for people who bought them new!

Aside from their great looks, amazing handling, and superb build quality, it's just not enough car for me, for the money. Maybe it's a power thing.. I've always been into power.. I know lacking power in comparison to some does not in any way make them bad cars.. It's just me I guess. Also, for that kind of coin, you can get some more unique, more exotic cars.
IF U LIKE POWER THEN A 991TT should fit the bill!
so far the 991TTS has gone 10.6 stock! on 20s.
GIAC tune and an exhaust they are guessing its a 9 second car on
20s!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

I've noticed most ZR owners tend to believe (or want) the new Z06 will cost 120K or so, while Z06 owners think they will cost slightly more then a C6Z did.

I'd put money down, that these things won't touch 120K. Maybe a tad over 100K, loaded.

Is it that it would be frustrating to ZR1 owners to have a like (or better) car come out for significantly less money? I could see that, I guess.
well i just went on the net and built a 2013 Z with every option and it was ~91K. now keep in mind car has no blower has no aero packages and no CCB no on board camera options and the 14 is a year newer so normal price increase..~3%

91000x1.03=93700
the fact that it has supercharger and other parts that were not on a
2013 Z = ~6500
aero top level ~8500
camera ~2000
thats $110,700 and not even close to checking off evey box!

if you agree or not let me know. my take is alot more will back out then buy in once the price is revealed!

Last edited by NICK YOSKIN; 01-27-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

well i just went on the net and built a 2013 Z with every option and it was ~91K. now keep in mind car has no blower has no aero packages and no CCB no on board camera options and the 14 is a year newer so normal price increase..~3%

91000x1.03=93700
2013 Z = ~6500
aero top level ~8500
camera ~2000

if you agree or not let me know. my take is alot more will back out then buy in once the price is revealed!
Wow... 91k.. you really did check every box!!!

Given what we now at this time about the standard features and additional equipment on the Z06, I am guessing @20k difference in base price.. Maybe stretch it out to 25k, then 20k for the interior bump, z07, and a few other options Misc. options. I think it will top out @ 100k unless you go nuts on the little stuff and accessories.

Last edited by Gadfly; 01-27-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 PM
JsnMR2
Pro

91000x1.03=93700
2013 Z = ~6500
aero top level ~8500
camera ~2000

It would be a huge business mistake to have these things at ZR1 prices with when loaded up. If it soars much over 100K, a lot of people won't buy it. The same people, might not buy a standard C7 either because well, it's lame in comparison.. No offense to anyone..

If it goes way over 100K, I'll be possibly buying a GTR instead.

Some people would surely purchase it, and love it at 120K, but a lot of people would walk! If people think 120K loaded, that means around 90-100K base. To much for a stripped down model IMO.

I still say 80K base and 100 ish, maybe a tad more, loaded. Just makes better business sense.

Regardless, I'll keep my H/C/I C6Z until things get figured out. Just went out to AutoX with it yesterday and kicked ***. Still love the car. That might change when I see a C7Z side by side haha.

If I wanted to spend 185K on a car, yeah I'd love to have a 991 Turbo. I'd rather go add another rental house to the collection for that much though!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Velocita
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluedevil 1
First, let me say that I think your numbers are off. Have no documented proof and won't pretend to but I firmly believe that a loaded Z07 will be closer to $120K. As it pertains to who will or won't, I for one bought a ZR1 and loved every mile I put on it. Yes, I will happily pay the MSRP and enjoy (again) every moment in it
What other cars did you consider before purchasing your ZR1? What made you select the Corvette over the competition?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocita
I expect a loaded Z06 will cost close to 100k and am surprised by the many journalists, bloggers, commenters etc… that question spending that kind of money on a "lowly" corvette. Their viewpoint seems analogous to the mistake of buying a high end home in a depressed neighborhood.

Naturally, I do not feel this way nor would it stop me from buying the car I want, but I am curious if this attitude exists within corvette fans too? I have always felt the corvette's price value was the last thing anyone could criticize. Frankly, I see the car as a bargain.

Just thought I would hear what the peanut gallery thinks because I have heard this "100k for a vette" snobbery posited far too much lately!
same guys that would drop 110k on a Nissan
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

I don't think that's true. Most ZR owners I know look and the new Z and like what they see. A lot. And many plan to get one, a good portion of which will be adding the new Z to the stable.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Who would spend 100k on a vette?

The 4684 people who bought ZR1s, for starters.
4684 over the last 5 years? Pretty low number. Hope GM prices the new Z06 well under 100k fully loaded to start or it's numbers will be poor as well. Hard to believe there are 107 Brand New 2012 and 2013 ZR1's still for sale on cars.com.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sam90lx
4684 over the last 5 years? Pretty low number. Hope GM prices the new Z06 well under 100k fully loaded to start or it's numbers will be poor as well. Hard to believe there are 107 Brand New 2012 and 2013 ZR1's still for sale on cars.com.

I bet they're hoping to sell that many (or more) per year of the new Z.

Will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I bet they're hoping to sell that many (or more) per year of the new Z.

Will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.
Having the Auto trans should help the numbers.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Having the Auto trans should help the numbers.
Yeah, I bet it helps quite a bit.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:42 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
As the owner of a C7 and an Audi A8L, I can tell you that you're wrong about German cars. They are wonderfully built. Audi absolutely makes the best interiors of any car. And the ride quality and adjustability for a large luxury car is outstanding. My Audi has had an e-diff and electronic dynamic steering since before the C7 was even announced.

I'd still rather drive my C7 than the Audi because the Corvette is such a joy to drive, but to state that German cars and German engineering is not anything special is just plain wrong.

Further, your assertion that Japanese cars are better than German cars is ridiculous in the extreme. We won't even think about buying Lexus cars anymore because of all the problems we have experienced with our multiple Lexus cars over the years. They seem great when you pull off the lot, but in a couple of years you have to start expecting exhaust fumes, faulty radiators, ill-working brakes and rotors, and constant trips to the repair shop.

My assumption is that you are stating these things because of a lack of experience with German cars. Chevrolet has done the right thing by acknowledging the excellence of German engineering, and setting about to make their cars even better.
This "German Engineering" or "superiority" is somewhat a fallacy. I've had enough of them to know!

That said, these days no matter domestic or Japanese or British or German....most cars are built pretty well anyways.

Get notified of new replies

To who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 307 Posts

Ok so people just need to stop using the C6 Z06 as a reference point for the C7 Z06 pricing because there's quite a few things that make that comparison silly. First off the frame on the C6 Z06 was only shared with the ZR1 so that cost wasn't spread out to the rest of the C6 lineup. the C7 Z06 shares the frame with the Stingray, so there will likely be little to no added cost on that front.

The C6 Z06 also had the LS7...which was pretty much exclusive to the C6 Z06...once again the Z06 had to eat the entire cost of engineering/manufacturing that engine. The new LT4 shares quite a bit with the LT1 and will likely be built right along side of the LT1. As far as cost is concerned the Stingray will soak up some of the engineering/manufacturing cost of the LT4 due to the similarities and shared tech between the two engines. The single biggest cost addition will be the supercharger, but in the grand scheme of things i would be willing to bet that the addition of the blower and engine internals will not exceed $6000 over the cost of a stock LT1.

The C6 Z06 had CF front fenders, which cost more to manufacturer than SMC which is on the C7 Z06. The C7 Z06 also shares the front bumper with the stingray saving additional money that the C6 Z06 spent for a Z06 specific bumper.

There are more things about the C6 Z06 that make it a pretty bad baseline for determining pricing of the new Z06 but I touched on the biggest things. The C7 Z06 is quite literally a C7 Stingray with a blower, widebody, and big brakes and wheels. There is not enough that is substantially different to justify the prices some people are guessing. GM could probably price the base Z06 at $70k and still make a killing on this car. I'm sticking with $75k base price as my guess due to there really not being a whole lot added to the Stingray to make the Z06. I am sure there will be special suspension tuning programming an what not but the MSRC is unchanged between Stingray and Z06.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Ok so people just need to stop using the C6 Z06 as a reference point for the C7 Z06 pricing because there's quite a few things that make that comparison silly. First off the frame on the C6 Z06 was only shared with the ZR1 so that cost wasn't spread out to the rest of the C6 lineup. the C7 Z06 shares the frame with the Stingray, so there will likely be little to no added cost on that front.

The C6 Z06 also had the LS7...which was pretty much exclusive to the C6 Z06...once again the Z06 had to eat the entire cost of engineering/manufacturing that engine. The new LT4 shares quite a bit with the LT1 and will likely be built right along side of the LT1. As far as cost is concerned the Stingray will soak up some of the engineering/manufacturing cost of the LT4 due to the similarities and shared tech between the two engines. The single biggest cost addition will be the supercharger, but in the grand scheme of things i would be willing to bet that the addition of the blower and engine internals will not exceed $6000 over the cost of a stock LT1.

The C6 Z06 had CF front fenders, which cost more to manufacturer than SMC which is on the C7 Z06. The C7 Z06 also shares the front bumper with the stingray saving additional money that the C6 Z06 spent for a Z06 specific bumper.

There are more things about the C6 Z06 that make it a pretty bad baseline for determining pricing of the new Z06 but I touched on the biggest things. The C7 Z06 is quite literally a C7 Stingray with a blower, widebody, and big brakes and wheels. There is not enough that is substantially different to justify the prices some people are guessing. GM could probably price the base Z06 at $70k and still make a killing on this car. I'm sticking with $75k base price as my guess due to there really not being a whole lot added to the Stingray to make the Z06. I am sure there will be special suspension tuning programming an what not but the MSRC is unchanged between Stingray and Z06.

Exactly.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't think that's true. Most ZR owners I know look and the new Z and like what they see. A lot. And many plan to get one, a good portion of which will be adding the new Z to the stable.

I think there are 2 guys on here who hope it will be $120+
I have said before, $80 base, $100 fully loaded Z07.
That being said, I will take a 991 GT3

Quick Reply: who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!