C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,839 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by JsnMR2
Funny thing is, I'd say most Porsche's actually ARE over priced for what you get. I know they make great cars, but come on. I'm seeing USED 997 GT3's going for 150-175K. The 997 Turbo S I looked at was 181K msrp. A new Porsche Boxster S can cost you 80K+. They are nice, but not worth that much money IMO.
The one that kills me is the Cayenne's pricing. A fully loaded Cayenne Turbo S on the lot down here in Naples had a sticker of $173k!!!

I can MAYBE see that much for a 911 turbo S, but a freakin Cayenne? That's when a fool and their money truly part.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Ok so people just need to stop using the C6 Z06 as a reference point for the C7 Z06 pricing because there's quite a few things that make that comparison silly. First off the frame on the C6 Z06 was only shared with the ZR1 so that cost wasn't spread out to the rest of the C6 lineup. the C7 Z06 shares the frame with the Stingray, so there will likely be little to no added cost on that front.

The C6 Z06 also had the LS7...which was pretty much exclusive to the C6 Z06...once again the Z06 had to eat the entire cost of engineering/manufacturing that engine. The new LT4 shares quite a bit with the LT1 and will likely be built right along side of the LT1. As far as cost is concerned the Stingray will soak up some of the engineering/manufacturing cost of the LT4 due to the similarities and shared tech between the two engines. The single biggest cost addition will be the supercharger, but in the grand scheme of things i would be willing to bet that the addition of the blower and engine internals will not exceed $6000 over the cost of a stock LT1.

The C6 Z06 had CF front fenders, which cost more to manufacturer than SMC which is on the C7 Z06. The C7 Z06 also shares the front bumper with the stingray saving additional money that the C6 Z06 spent for a Z06 specific bumper.

There are more things about the C6 Z06 that make it a pretty bad baseline for determining pricing of the new Z06 but I touched on the biggest things. The C7 Z06 is quite literally a C7 Stingray with a blower, widebody, and big brakes and wheels. There is not enough that is substantially different to justify the prices some people are guessing. GM could probably price the base Z06 at $70k and still make a killing on this car. I'm sticking with $75k base price as my guess due to there really not being a whole lot added to the Stingray to make the Z06. I am sure there will be special suspension tuning programming an what not but the MSRC is unchanged between Stingray and Z06.

what the RD that went into the new Z cost GM nothing? Oh I guess all that was done threw the stingray..guess they said "heck toss that blower on there and go!" LOL LOL

my math was only adding on 3% for inflation and $6500 for the blower and forged rod forged forged crank better casting process for heads heat exchanger ect ect...THAT IS VERY RESONABLE!

my point of my post was NOT what the base price will be but what the 2014 Zo6 with 3LZ with all the options CHECKED OFF would tally to.

what the point of ordering a base Zo6? No doubt that the Z looks killer but how killer does it look when u strip it down??? Go buy a stingray and call DOUG and CHRIS @ ECS and order up their slick blower setup and call it a day! I am sure that soon enough guys will be hanging fenders and quarter panels on their stingrays!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

To the OP, a lot of people have and a lot of people will!

The C7 is one amazing car! I would choose it over any Porsche at any price any day!!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
To the OP, a lot of people have and a lot of people will!

The C7 is one amazing car! I would choose it over any Porsche at any price any day!!
yeah i would rather have c7 over 2014 911TTS

new Z AND GT3 thats better then either or
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to say "I'd never pay $100k on corvette", but after owning two, and driving the crap out of them, I've changed my tune.

I can't wait for the Z07 Z06. I'm getting one. I frankly, don't care how much it costs.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the value of the $ isn't worth much these days sooo it's like spending 70,000 10 years ago.

it'll be a hard choice ...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
The one that kills me is the Cayenne's pricing. A fully loaded Cayenne Turbo S on the lot down here in Naples had a sticker of $173k!!!

I can MAYBE see that much for a 911 turbo S, but a freakin Cayenne? That's when a fool and their money truly part.
so they should just give their money to you instead?
or die with $25M in the bank?
sounds like a libtard attitude.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM
SoonerSpeedFreak
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLANB
Can afford one especially if sold off few other stable cars but will most likely wait a few years and save bunch of money on one like did on my 08 z06. Depreciation is brutal first couple of years then slows down some and after many years car might even start coming up. But generally cars are terrible investments.
But you only live once.. unless you believe in reincarnation and if you can't remember your past lives well... LOL

Good news is its easy to get a very low mileage car like these as most people garage queen their cars a lot. My 08 bought in 2010 had like 6000 miles on it.

Not that many people can afford to spend 100k on a car. So don't expect to see z06 all over the place even in my city where high end cars are commonplace. Vette no matter how nice it is not is not going to appeal to everyone. But it should appeal to more people than before since it now has auto option. I wasn't going to buy a c7 z06 but now want one since wanted auto ,tired of manuals.
I might have bought a base car but really wanted a z06 again. And the new z06 is amazing upgraded in every area over the outgoing z06 ,basically sounding like its a zr1 for z06 price.

The base cars are reasonably affordable at 50k starting prices. The z06 not so much. As a supercar its one of the cheapest out there if they do keep it to 100k loaded.
Exotics like Ferrari and Lambo are way up there new, Porsche ,etc all way up there for their higher models.
I prefer to buy used and it lets me have low mileage top of line cars for prices that let me have three or even four cars in my stable for price of one high end car like 458 Italia.
But see the appeal sometimes of buying brand new and picking options ,colors,interiors etc that person wants but you will pay a lot more for that priviledge. And it will drop like 20k just driving it off the lot. And don't tell me the z06 will hold value either. They won't not for first few years they will drop like rocks. Almost every high end car does.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
what the RD that went into the new Z cost GM nothing? Oh I guess all that was done threw the stingray..guess they said "heck toss that blower on there and go!" LOL LOL

my math was only adding on 3% for inflation and $6500 for the blower and forged rod forged forged crank better casting process for heads heat exchanger ect ect...THAT IS VERY RESONABLE!

my point of my post was NOT what the base price will be but what the 2014 Zo6 with 3LZ with all the options CHECKED OFF would tally to.

what the point of ordering a base Zo6? No doubt that the Z looks killer but how killer does it look when u strip it down??? Go buy a stingray and call DOUG and CHRIS @ ECS and order up their slick blower setup and call it a day! I am sure that soon enough guys will be hanging fenders and quarter panels on their stingrays!

What about the C7 Stingrays R&D? Alluminum frame..eLSD..next generation small block..shiny interior..etc etc..?

What was the increase in MSRP over the 2013MY C6 again?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
It's a mindset relative to the market segments the cars represent and the Vette is beginning to price itself out of that blue collar segment if it wants to keep up with the white collar markets. People from a certain age group until death are conditioned to accept that it's okay for Ferraris and Lamborghinis to have Loony Toons price tags and is part of the mystique of those cars. Even if they haven't always been the best performance cars ever. Nevermind plenty of vehicles are competitive or rival their performance for dirt cheap, by comparison today.

BUT, you gotta factor in the Corvette fanatics are an interesting lot in some of their demands for pushing the envelope. Demands of exclusivity in a mass produced automobile, number one at the track but comfy enough for the ride to and from work and long trips. Weigh under 1.5 tons but have the latest stereo, nav heated seats, sound deadening, on and on. Something will have to give.

It's actually comical to see some of the claims contradicted. Some want it priced to a point where it assures exclusivity for their particular income bracket, but that income bracket complains when it is "too expensive", shunning that exclusivity they were clamoring for. Careful what you wish for.
This is one of the best posts I have read in a while. You hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

It still will be the performance bargain of the century!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,167 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by donavonknight
GM has overpriced a lot of their products besides the Corvette.
The Corvette is far from over-priced. The opening premise of your whole post is a fail right off the bat.

Most of the people that can afford to drop $100k on a car are smart enough to know what else is out there.
There's nothing else out there for $100k that will touch this car's performance AND level of useful technological sophistication. If performance isn't your concern and looking good is, then perhaps a Corvette is the wrong car for you.

The new trucks are already being discounted.
They always are. Find me a time in the GMT's history when they weren't being discounted.

I can buy a nice AWD Audi instead of the SS.
Wrong market comparison. Try again.

Pick any foreign made SUV.
As compared to the Tahoe? Which of those foreign made SUVs is actually built off of a truck platform versus a cranked-up car's? Answer: not many.

I can get a Corvette instead of the Z-28.
Again: wrong market comparison. The two aren't cross-shopped.

Most people cannot tell if you are driving $50k Stingray or a $100k Z06.
Who cares if someone else can tell what you're driving? Does it actually matter to you?

So why pay so much for one Corvette when I can buy two.
So buy two. GM will love you for it.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Well, we don't know for sure how much the entry fee into this car is going to be just yet. Heck, I'm not positive GM knows just yet. But at some point there will be a half dozen people sitting around a mahogany table in Flint, and they will decide.

The one major thing they will decide is how many they want to sell. If it's a couple thousand a year, then it will have to be under the $100K mark.

As far as GM overpricing cars, yes to point, I agree. But keep in mind that many of the cars mentioned in the previous post are direct competition to other brands and cars that are notably more expensive. They also make a several great cars in just about all pricing catagories. Although I think GM is missing the mark by not creating a car to go after the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and such market, as many of their lower market cars seem to aimed at those strictly a to b transportation buyers.

But in today's market, a 625+HP/635 tq sportscar with the features and suggested capabilities of the Z06, an MSRP of right at $100K for the top of the line is among the bottom pricing for that catagory. The closest competitor seems to be the Porsche GT3, from reading this forum anyway, and it's entry price is around $130K.

I think this car has a great shot at bringing some new folks to the Corvette, it also has a good shot at making some of those Audi, BMW, MB sedan buyers start to take a second glance at cars from GM, like the CTS, ATS, SS, and such. Especially when much of this technology trickles down the line. The Corvette has always been one of GM's best representatives.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
As compared to the Tahoe? Which of those foreign made SUVs is actually built off of a truck platform versus a cranked-up car's? Answer: not many.
And building it on a truck's frame is a good thing?

Porsche does a great job at this (in it's jacked up car form).

Toyota, Rover are two examples.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
But in today's market, a 625+HP/635 tq sportscar with the features and suggested capabilities of the Z06, an MSRP of right at $100K for the top of the line is among the bottom pricing for that catagory. The closest competitor seems to be the Porsche GT3, from reading this forum anyway, and it's entry price is around $130K.
The Datsun GTR is in the same price category and it's at 99k

and lets pretend Porsche gets to set the price for the category, why in the world should we follow?

I'll give them that cost goes up when you start throwing in fancy things (like custom transmissions and computer systems that monitor everything) but the base for this case should be in line with its market or what good is the car.

People buy Corvette for it's value (and because it's a cool AMER'can car). Pricing out a Ferrari, you're at 250k - Can you sit there and tell me the Ferrari is 2.5x the car? nOpe. You can't. If the value is gone, the market will either open to a competitor - or shift to cars of THEN equal value.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
It's a mindset relative to the market segments the cars represent and the Vette is beginning to price itself out of that blue collar segment if it wants to keep up with the white collar markets. People from a certain age group until death are conditioned to accept that it's okay for Ferraris and Lamborghinis to have Loony Toons price tags and is part of the mystique of those cars. Even if they haven't always been the best performance cars ever. Nevermind plenty of vehicles are competitive or rival their performance for dirt cheap, by comparison today.

BUT, you gotta factor in the Corvette fanatics are an interesting lot in some of their demands for pushing the envelope. Demands of exclusivity in a mass produced automobile, number one at the track but comfy enough for the ride to and from work and long trips. Weigh under 1.5 tons but have the latest stereo, nav heated seats, sound deadening, on and on. Something will have to give.

It's actually comical to see some of the claims contradicted. Some want it priced to a point where it assures exclusivity for their particular income bracket, but that income bracket complains when it is "too expensive", shunning that exclusivity they were clamoring for. Careful what you wish for.
Well said. I do think the nose of the ZR1 should have stuck further up in the air, instead of being a shovel nose....

I frankly think (and I have said it here before) that GM should sever Corvette from Chevy and make it a brand alone, and then have an entry level car, and go up from there. They are doing this to some degree right now, but I see no reason why GM shouldn't produce a mid-engine Corvette and price it at 175,000.00. It would take some time to ramp up brand cachet, but I say have a starter car with a small block; a vert with a turbo V6; a N/A track rat mobile with a small block; a Z06 (with more comfort content than the track car); and a mid-engine monster with the best technology GM can muster, which may be some kind of hybrid; and call them the Corvette Stringray; Corvette Convertible; Corvette RSR; Corvette Z06; and Corvette GT. and go from 60K to 175K in price. GM Needs to make real money and this is one way to move up the ladder. We need a top-flight US mid-engine car, and here is the chance, and if Corvette becomes its own brand, we can get dealers who understand how to treat an up-market customer, too. Not all Chevy dealers can pull this off....

Of course, we all need to write our Congressmen and get that stupid 54 mpg CAFE standard tanked or we'll end up with very, very limited production of the cars we want....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 01-29-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Well, we don't know for sure how much the entry fee into this car is going to be just yet. Heck, I'm not positive GM knows just yet. But at some point there will be a half dozen people sitting around a mahogany table in Flint, and they will decide.

The one major thing they will decide is how many they want to sell. If it's a couple thousand a year, then it will have to be under the $100K mark.

As far as GM overpricing cars, yes to point, I agree. But keep in mind that many of the cars mentioned in the previous post are direct competition to other brands and cars that are notably more expensive. They also make a several great cars in just about all pricing catagories. Although I think GM is missing the mark by not creating a car to go after the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and such market, as many of their lower market cars seem to aimed at those strictly a to b transportation buyers.

I think this car has a great shot at bringing some new folks to the Corvette, it also has a good shot at making some of those Audi, BMW, MB sedan buyers start to take a second glance at cars from GM, like the CTS, ATS, SS, and such. Especially when much of this technology trickles down the line. The Corvette has always been one of GM's best representatives.

What!!!!!!!!! Hooter's in Flint has mahogany tables?

Get notified of new replies

To who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,167 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by NSTG8R
And building it on a truck's frame is a good thing?
If you want a real Sport Utility Vehicle, then yes, it is.

Porsche does a great job at this (in it's jacked up car form).

Toyota, Rover are two examples.
How are those priced when compared to a Tahoe? And don't throw the Rav4 as your counter because that's not an SUV.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
If you want a real Sport Utility Vehicle, then yes, it is.
Umm I'm going to have to argue that (and go off topic for a second).

Let's use the Porsche, which I consider to be a real spot utility vehicle and because it's priced close to the Tahoe.

Tahoe:
Year: 2014
Towing: 8,500 lbs.
Ground Clearance: 10.5in front
Weight: 5476 lbs.
Approach Angle: ?? Doesn't tell you.
Price: Starting at $43,500 MSRP

Cayenne:
Year: 2014
Towing: 7,716 lbs.
Ground Clearance: 10.6 in front (in high position), 6 in (in low position)
Weight: 4475 lbs.
Approach Angle: 26.5 degrees
Price: Starting at $49,600 MSRP

So you get all the benefits of off-road but also get an amazing highway cruiser.

... so yeh! .. wait, what were we talking about?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 05dsom
so they should just give their money to you instead?
or die with $25M in the bank?
sounds like a libtard attitude.
LOLOL!!! DONT get me started with LIBS

Quick Reply: who would spend 100k on a vette?!?!?!