C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette at Nurburgring NOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A Stage 1 would be a Z06, the yellow car was probably a Stage 3 Z07. No way to swap parts to make one out of the other.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

They are all Z06. The Z07 is a pkge, not a model
Old 09-30-2014, 04:27 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
seems to me that they should be able to salvage all of the Z07 parts (- front splitter) off of the yellow car and put it on the blue car.
Wrong, I already called deebs on the tail lights and side skirts! Sorry!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

seems to me that they should be able to salvage all of the Z07 parts (- front splitter) off of the yellow car and put it on the blue car.
Pretty sure GM is already spending money on Jet fuel to get the replacements there if fixable. They don't play around with that kind of stuff, if they already didn't bring spares that is. Too much on the line.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
They are all Z06. The Z07 is a pkge, not a model
...Here we go....To some it will be..
Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Darius
They need to get a german driver who knows that place, not some overweight giant who drives there once every couple years if that.
Just when I think the crowd at Corvette Forum can't possibly get any more idiotic, some "better idiot" comes along and proves me wrong. Nicely done.

When you have something useful to add to the thread, feel free to pipe back up. Until then, go back to the whatever hole you came from.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC399
...Here we go....To some it will be..
Just like the 'Z51 badge' craze from a few years back, I can already see the HUGE 'Z07 badges' aftermarket brewing as we type LOL.
People will even be slappin' those things on their Chevrolet Sonics and Sparks!

Originally Posted by jvp
Just when I think the crowd at Corvette Forum can't possibly get any more idiotic, some "better idiot" comes along and proves me wrong. Nicely done.

When you have something useful to add to the thread, feel free to pipe back up. Until then, go back to the whatever hole you came from.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Old 09-30-2014, 06:08 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They need to get a german driver who knows that place, not some overweight giant who drives there once every couple years if that.

I'd wager a dollar, that if we put you in the passenger seat of the car driven by that "overweight giant who drives there once every couple years if that", you'd be soiling your Fruit-of-the-Looms long before he even pushed the car to it's limits.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:11 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I'd wager a dollar, that if we put you in the passenger seat of the car driven by that "overweight giant who drives there once every couple years if that", you'd be soiling your Fruit-of-the-Looms long before he even pushed the car to it's limits.

-- He only has roughly 1200 laps at the ring, I think Mero is certainly qualified.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Dude... that's Jim Mero in the yellow Z06. Same advanced GM driver who set the 'Ring C6 ZR1 record... ride with him and he'll make you look like a Jalopnik writer (T. Okulski) scared shytless!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

different suspension and carbon ceramic brake, which will make ahuge difference at the ring.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think a Corvette with any modified parts would qualify as production if they moved the good parts to the lesser Z06.

I can't imagine GM going to the Ring without spare cars.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Darius
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
-- He only has roughly 1200 laps at the ring, I think Mero is certainly qualified.
I didn't know he had that many laps there, how did you come up with that figure? Seems most manufacturers hire a professional driver. I'm sure hauling a extra 100lbs around the ring sure doesn't help the times.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Seems most manufacturers hire a professional driver. I'm sure hauling a extra 100lbs around the ring sure doesn't help the times.
From an old Super Chevy article;

Mero: The fastest guys in the ’Ring are not the guys who are the fastest drivers in general; it’s the guys who have the most laps on the ’Ring. We’ve had [Corvette Racing’s] Jan Magnussen at Nürburgring for us in the past, but he doesn’t have the time in his schedule to commit to two to three weeks of continuous running on that track to learn the sweet spot of every corner and the sweet spot of whatever car he’s driving in that corner. It takes 100 laps, maybe more, to find the perfect setting, the perfect point to accelerate, and where you want the car rotated in each corner. Those guys just don’t have the time to commit to doing it.

Juechter: Corvette Racing’s drivers are accustomed to cars with massive downforce. Taking a production car that’s realistically tuned primarily for street driving and taking it at its limit around the ’Ring is a specialized skill. Like Jim says, it takes a lot of laps to learn not just that track, but also that car on the track.
Another reason we use Jim is that he’s the guy who has to balance all the performance attributes of the chassis—both track and street. You get a professional race car driver there who’s used to dictating how he wants the car set up and that’s fine for the track, but the Nürburgring [is one of Corvette’s testbeds] for tuning that eventually goes out on the street and lives in the real world.

Mero: Give a guy a couple thousand pounds of downforce and slicks, and then stick him in a car with no downforce and full-treaded tires, and he struggles for an awful long time, like Jan Magnussen did in 2008. We have an issue with a lot of guys—prior Corvette Chief Engineer Tom Wallace being another one. It took us a lot of trips to get him comfortable in a ZR1 because he’s used to massive downforce and slicks. Take that all away, and it’s a whole new learning curve for him.

Juechter: And it’s nothing against the professional race car drivers. Jan Magnussen—even when we’re hanging around other professional race drivers—they talk about him with reverence. So we’re not in any way trying to diminish those guys’ capabilities. It’s just a matter of getting used to that kind of vehicle on that track.

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/features/v...#ixzz3EqYPWL8i

Last edited by RedLS6; 09-30-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
From an old Super Chevy article;

Mero: The fastest guys in the ’Ring are not the guys who are the fastest drivers in general; it’s the guys who have the most laps on the ’Ring. We’ve had [Corvette Racing’s] Jan Magnussen at Nürburgring for us in the past, but he doesn’t have the time in his schedule to commit to two to three weeks of continuous running on that track to learn the sweet spot of every corner and the sweet spot of whatever car he’s driving in that corner. It takes 100 laps, maybe more, to find the perfect setting, the perfect point to accelerate, and where you want the car rotated in each corner. Those guys just don’t have the time to commit to doing it.

Juechter: Corvette Racing’s drivers are accustomed to cars with massive downforce. Taking a production car that’s realistically tuned primarily for street driving and taking it at its limit around the ’Ring is a specialized skill. Like Jim says, it takes a lot of laps to learn not just that track, but also that car on the track.
Another reason we use Jim is that he’s the guy who has to balance all the performance attributes of the chassis—both track and street. You get a professional race car driver there who’s used to dictating how he wants the car set up and that’s fine for the track, but the Nürburgring [is one of Corvette’s testbeds] for tuning that eventually goes out on the street and lives in the real world.

Mero: Give a guy a couple thousand pounds of downforce and slicks, and then stick him in a car with no downforce and full-treaded tires, and he struggles for an awful long time, like Jan Magnussen did in 2008. We have an issue with a lot of guys—prior Corvette Chief Engineer Tom Wallace being another one. It took us a lot of trips to get him comfortable in a ZR1 because he’s used to massive downforce and slicks. Take that all away, and it’s a whole new learning curve for him.
Juechter: And it’s nothing against the professional race car drivers. Jan Magnussen—even when we’re hanging around other professional race drivers—they talk about him with reverence. So we’re not in any way trying to diminish those guys’ capabilities. It’s just a matter of getting used to that kind of vehicle on that track.

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/features/v...#ixzz3EqYPWL8i
Thanks for the reference...this makes perfect sense to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette at Nurburgring NOW

Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Love that blue ZO6...
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

RedLS6: Thanks for posting factual and useful information!

Isn't it funny how with almost every issue once you drill down to the facts and details then superficial comments from those with low information turn out to be about as useless as **** on a boar hog
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
RedLS6: Thanks for posting factual and useful information!

Isn't it funny how with almost every issue once you drill down to the facts and details then superficial comments from those with low information turn out to be about as useless as **** on a boar hog
^ Now there's a Southern saying

Quick Reply: Corvette at Nurburgring NOW