C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

650 HP street friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The LT4 engine has 200hp @ 2,000rpm. You'll never need to exceed those revs, even on the freeway going max speed.

Therefore, the only real question is whether 200hp is street friendly. It is a silly question then, no?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalion
Just Have A C7 On order, But The Z06 Has Got My Attention, A little, I know 460 hp is pretty fun, but at times you may wish it were more, at other times Can barely keep from spinning out, So I'm wondering if 650 is overkill for normal use, especially since I want a manual. I like the looks and power of the z06, but It would likely cost me 30k to 40k more, not sure if it would be worth it?
My 505 HP c6 z06 is not enough, and that weighs a lot less. So I hope 650 HP is enough.. Probably is.. But i plan on getting it to a nice round 700 with some simple mods.
Though given there have been at least two z06 crashes so far, it may mean there is at least some aspect to the handling that is tricky.. May be something that is not gradual/linear, like a snap oversteer at the limit. Could have just been cold sport cups or something simple like that, or people pushing the car too far. If not, hopefully any handling gremlins are ironed out for the production cars. I plan on getting PSS for daily driving and saving the cups for autocross. And maybe winter tires for the cold stuff.

Last edited by TripleBlack99; 11-12-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Metalion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The LT4 engine has 200hp @ 2,000rpm. You'll never need to exceed those revs, even on the freeway going max speed.

Therefore, the only real question is whether 200hp is street friendly. It is a silly question then, no?
This makes sense. Sorry if my question seemed stupid. I still don't know if I can justify buying the z06 over the c7 at 30k more, as i can't see using all that engine(except on the track). But if money was no object I definitely would.
But I could change my mind, seems to happen a lot lately.:

Last edited by Metalion; 11-12-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Truthfully, it is overkill. But I am helpless to resist it...

resistance...is futile !
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
... it's a Want not a Need. I love Corvettes, but to keep you out of trouble, you need to respect them as well.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Just Have A C7 On order, But The Z06 Has Got My Attention, A little, I know 460 hp is pretty fun, but at times you may wish it were more, at other times Can barely keep from spinning out, So I'm wondering if 650 is overkill for normal use, especially since I want a manual. I like the looks and power of the z06, but It would likely cost me 30k to 40k more, not sure if it would be worth it?
Spend the extra 20k for a 1lz zo6 and forget about getting a base c7. You'll buy the base car, take a beating on it getting out of to get in a zo6 as I have seen many others do because they will be yearning for the bigger bad-er car, when they bought a base c6 and then traded up to a c6z or c6zr1. 650hp will be just fine for normal use.

I test drove a base c7 manual trans car earlier this week, and the car didn't have near the juice of my c6 Zo6 at 505hp. the base lt1 motor just runs out of steam at upper rpm in the higher gears and its heavy, so even though its 40 hp less, the extra weight makes it feel sluggish in my opinion.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 11-12-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
My 505 HP c6 z06 is not enough, and that weighs a lot less. So I hope 650 HP is enough.. Probably is.. But i plan on getting it to a nice round 700 with some simple mods.
Though given there have been at least two z06 crashes so far, it may mean there is at least some aspect to the handling that is tricky.. May be something that is not gradual/linear, like a snap oversteer at the limit. Could have just been cold sport cups or something simple like that, or people pushing the car too far. If not, hopefully any handling gremlins are ironed out for the production cars. I plan on getting PSS for daily driving and saving the cups for autocross. And maybe winter tires for the cold stuff.
Both cars that crashed had the zo7 package with the cup tire package that is suited for hot dry race tracks. I think the convertible that crashed was on a wet highway and hydro planed which is easy to do on those cups. the other zo6 that crashed was on the ring, and the track may have been damp.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

This makes sense. Sorry if my question seemed stupid. I still don't know if I can justify buying the z06 over the c7 at 30k more, as i can't see using all that engine(except on the track). But if money was no object I definitely would.
But I could change my mind, seems to happen a lot lately.:
It's never about "need," it's always about "want."
I mean, theortically, to get from Point A to Point B all ONE man needs is ONE horse.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Street useable torque -- 500 ft-lbs at 1500 rpm, once the blower is actuated.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:23 AM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The base c7 seems more progressive in throttle delivery in terms of amount of force used on the pedal then the c6 did for me. which was a bit odd since I thought the higher torque curve would make it a bit livelier. But it made it easier to drive in traffic. The z is almost 200 more hp/tq but believe the same principles will basically apply and if you respect the car, and don't give it wot in crowded areas or do drastic redline 50 degree turns at a fast speeds the z06 should act like a normal sports car more or less if it acts like the base c7
Old 11-13-2014, 05:16 AM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the cars are going to be very streetable and with any high HP car, common sense prevails. HOWEVER as Mr. Gizmo mentioned, BOTH cars that wrecked were on Sport Cup tires. Coincidence? Don't know, many of the pre-production cars had the Z07 package with Sport Cup so maybe it's just a factor of percentages, but I don't think so. I spoke with a friend of mine just yesterday, he's been driving a C6 Z06 and does a lot of track and autocross with the car, he uses Sport Cup tires and has taken to trailering the car to events because those Sport Cup tires simply aren't safe on the street in anything but warm summer days. If you're getting a Z07, do yourself and the cars arouind you a BIG favor and get a second set of tires/wheels for street driving and save the Sport Cups for the track.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
Dating back to my college days, my credo has always been:

"Enough is Never Enough".

This has gotten me into some trouble at times, but I am always happier in the long run. I just hope I don't buy one of these cars and am unable to resist modding it. 650/650 should be enough regardless where I'm driving, street or track. I will have 2 sets of wheel/tires because R compound tires aren't meant for daily driving.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Metalion
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Spend the extra 20k for a 1lz zo6 and forget about getting a base c7. You'll buy the base car, take a beating on it getting out of to get in a zo6 as I have seen many others do because they will be yearning for the bigger bad-er car, when they bought a base c6 and then traded up to a c6z or c6zr1. 650hp will be just fine for normal u

I test drove a base c7 manual trans car earlier this week, and the car didn't have near the juice of my c6 Zo6 at 505hp. the base lt1 motor just runs out of steam at upper rpm in the higher gears and its heavy, so even though its 40 hp less, the extra weight makes it feel sluggish in my opinion.
I'd like to go this route, but it may take till this time next year to get an allocation at msrp. But I'm strongly considering this option now.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:00 AM
BillB3672
Racer

No matter what the power under the hood it inappropriate to street race and risk others lives! I have owned Corvettes since 1972 (67 Corvette) and have driven cars with 700+hp, but have never had a ticket! As a former law enforcement officer that has seen the carnage when people can't resist putting the peddle to the metal my suggestion is buy the HP that you enjoy owning, but take it to the track if you can't resist seeing what your Vette will do!
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (09-30-2018)
Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 AM
dlparsons
Drifting

I'd like to go this route, but it may take till this time next year to get an allocation at msrp. But I'm strongly considering this option now.
There are several dealers with Manual Coupe allocations that are unfilled. All selling at MSRP. No need to wait unless you want the A8 or a convertible.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Metalion
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlparsons
There are several dealers with Manual Coupe allocations that are unfilled. All selling at MSRP. No need to wait unless you want the A8 or a convertible.
I live in nw wa. I only know 1 near me that sells @msrp. But he wont have allocations till next year about this time he said. Most dealers are going 20k over for an allocation, ridiculous, but people are doing it.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 AM
dlparsons
Drifting

I live in nw wa. I only know 1 near me that sells @msrp. But he wont have allocations till next year about this time he said. Most dealers are going 20k over for an allocation, ridiculous, but people are doing it.
Most of the dealers will ship anywhere in the country, much cheaper than paying over MSRP. Criswell just posted that he has several open allocations this week! I know he's shipped to California, I'm sure WA wouldn't pose any greater a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 650 HP street friendly?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:33 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

My C6Z is 650+ HP and it is 99% street driven. Absolutely 650HP is street friendly as long as you drive responsibly and keep your foot out of it. At first opportunity, find a private lot or track and learn the limits. Even with traction control enabled these cars can get squirrely at the drop of a hat. If you REALLY want to know what you're dealing with, turn off ALL the nannies (traction control, active handling, etc.) and let her rip. Just make sure you have plenty of "oh ****" room between you and solid objects. I learned to drive in a car that had none of those electronic nannies.

Good luck and stay safe.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Metalion
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlparsons
Most of the dealers will ship anywhere in the country, much cheaper than paying over MSRP. Criswell just posted that he has several open allocations this week! I know he's shipped to California, I'm sure WA wouldn't pose any greater a problem.
Yeah but I have a trade in, plus wouldn't that be a hassle if you you needed service?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 AM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The first time you step on it and destroy your opponent will validate the, "was it worth it" question.

Quick Reply: 650 HP street friendly?