C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

650 HP street friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:14 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Only your maturity ca tell you if it is street friendly or not.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:19 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
The first time you step on it and destroy your opponent will validate the, "was it worth it" question.
Not necessarily going to happen all the time, especially here in Houston.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:22 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Not necessarily going to happen all the time, especially here in Houston.
Im in Houston too...

We should hang out when you get your Vette.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by dlparsons
If you're getting a Z07, do yourself and the cars arouind you a BIG favor and get a second set of tires/wheels for street driving and save the Sport Cups for the track.
I hope every Z07 owner reads this.

I thought about the Z07 option, but it is off the table for me now.

Originally Posted by Metalion
I live in nw wa. I only know 1 near me that sells @msrp. But he wont have allocations till next year about this time he said. Most dealers are going 20k over for an allocation, ridiculous, but people are doing it.
It's very common in the NW for huge markups on Vipers and new Vettes (hello, from Salem!).
Allocations are small, meaning the supply is limited.
Of course, supply and demand being what it is....

Hell, often during the last couple of years there isn't even a G5 Viper in a dealer's showroom anywhere in Oregon.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:39 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Im in Houston too...

We should hang out when you get your Vette.
Already have it (2008 Z06). Still on the fence about the C7Z. If I do end up in one, I will skip a couple of model years to give them time to work out all the kinks.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:15 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EViL427
Already have it (2008 Z06). Still on the fence about the C7Z. If I do end up in one, I will skip a couple of model years to give them time to work out all the kinks.
I was talking C7 ZO6. I thought you had that one on order. I'm waiting as well. But, if I see one and there is a deal to be had... It's mine.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:35 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalion
Just Have A C7 On order, But The Z06 Has Got My Attention, A little, I know 460 hp is pretty fun, but at times you may wish it were more, at other times Can barely keep from spinning out, So I'm wondering if 650 is overkill for normal use, especially since I want a manual. I like the looks and power of the z06, but It would likely cost me 30k to 40k more, not sure if it would be worth it?
Yes! And any answer on here that suggests that 650hp is not overkill for normal use on the street is wrong.

All the rage right now is purchasing high dollar, high horsepower cars, that have been bred around track capability. Then, in 95% of the cases these machines are used to go to cars shows, the country club and the drug store for ED script refill. At best, perhaps 5% will truly ever see a track or be pushed to a level demonstrating what the car can deliver. Moreover far too few of the owners who are springing for a $100k car, will invest a couple thousand in Performance Driving School. It's akin to buying a Steinway Gran Piano and never taking lesson to play.

But it's what we do. We buy Rolex watches when a Timex does the job. We fly First Class when Coach arrives milliseconds later. We have to have the iPhone 6 when our 5 performs flawlessly.

It's apparently how we flaunt our manhood, since comparing penises in public is considered distasteful.

PS: Ask me about my ZO6 I can't resist the excesses any more than next guy!

Last edited by michaelinmech; 11-13-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:50 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Yes! And any answer on here that suggests that 650hp is not overkill for normal use on the street is wrong.

All the rage right now is purchasing high dollar, high horsepower cars, that have been bred around track capability. Then, in 95% of the cases these machines are used to go to cars shows, the country club and the drug store for ED script refill. At best, perhaps 5% will truly ever see a track or be pushed to a level demonstrating what the car can deliver. Moreover far too few of the owners who are springing for a $100k car, will invest a couple thousand in Performance Driving School. It's akin to buying a Steinway Gran Piano and never taking lesson to play.

But it's what we do. We buy Rolex watches when a Timex does the job. We fly First Class when Coach arrives milliseconds later. We have to have the iPhone 6 when our 5 performs flawlessly.

It's apparently how we flaunt our manhood, since comparing penises in public is considered distasteful.

PS: Ask me about my ZO6
Huh?
Old 11-13-2014, 03:58 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Huh?
Thought my 2 cents was crystal clear? Apparently not . . . . .
Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is 650hp street friendly?

Sure. Nowadays cars are easier to drive than they've ever been. Tire design, suspension, chassis design and of course electronic driver aids all contribute to make today's supercar easy to drive.

The new Z06 will be safer to drive than a 964turbo even with twice the power.

The thing is, the speed limits are still around 100kmh/65mph and the new Z06 will feel like standing still even at twice that speed. My 11yo 996TT feels totally safe and planted at those speeds even with 1/10 the downforce the Z06 makes.

So the problem is not if the Z06 is street friendly, but rather, will you be able to drive such a beast in a street friendly way and at street friendly speed? And also, will the car be any fun to drive at street friendly speeds?

My feeling is this is gonna a frustrating car most of the times because we won't be able to let it stretch its legs. But when we will... It will be epic.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

I'll give you a few "safety" reasons to put it back on the table. In dry above freezing conditions, which there are many throughout the year, the Cup tires will reduce breaking distances and improve the maneuverability of the car. Where I live that's 99% of the time.

As Corvette buyers, the first thing we care about is safety of other drivers of course. In that vein, I move that ALL CORVETTES USE CUP TIRES when road conditions make them a safer choice.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:29 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

It's very common in the NW for huge markups on Vipers and new Vettes (hello, from Salem!).
Allocations are small, meaning the supply is limited.
Of course, supply and demand being what it is....

Hell, often during the last couple of years there isn't even a G5 Viper in a dealer's showroom anywhere in Oregon.
I agree about the cups. However, no one sells the Super Sports yet in Z06 Sizes. I have checked everywhere. With my car coming right around Christmas, I might not have a choice.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:56 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by racezx9
that's just a dumb question, kinda like "do I really need to eat an 48 ounce steak"
The only thing that I have read on this thread that is dumb is your response. (along with that of 2 other folks who agree with you). Th OP is about to spend a decent amount of money on a Vette and loves the looks of the Z06 but has, IN HIS MIND, a legit concern. Maybe the car will be a daily driver and never see the track. Maybe the OP feels his driving skills may not be up to par to handle the HP and torque of the Z. Maybe his ego is not quite as big as yours. There are some folks that prefer to try to get the most that they can out of less HP & torque as opposed to having so much that they can never come close to using all of that HP & torque. Then there are those folks that only care about "mine is faster than yours." My point to you is don't be so fast to judge others and call them dumb.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Sorry but a car with 650 hp is never what I would call "street friendly" a Honda comes to mine in this case. This is a car that can get you into trouble real quick. There will be folks that will want to race you, sudden hard acceleration, turning off traction control, weather, any of these things will get you into trouble real quick. All I can say is respect the car and any temptations to "show off". You're driving a race car on the street simple as that. Drive it in a mature fashion and you'll be ok.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:09 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1mom
Sorry but a car with 650 hp is never what I would call "street friendly" a Honda comes to mine in this case. This is a car that can get you into trouble real quick. There will be folks that will want to race you, sudden hard acceleration, turning off traction control, weather, any of these things will get you into trouble real quick. All I can say is respect the car and any temptations to "show off". You're driving a race car on the street simple as that. Drive it in a mature fashion and you'll be ok.
Do you mean the year 2000 Honda S2000?

short wheelbase
Rear wheel drive
205 section tires
NO traction control
NO stability control
Extreme summer performance tires from factory
Tendency for snap-oversteer
4.10 differential
13.8 to 1 steering ratio
Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I'll give you a few "safety" reasons to put it back on the table. In dry above freezing conditions, which there are many throughout the year, the Cup tires will reduce breaking distances and improve the maneuverability of the car. Where I live that's 99% of the time.
Where I live (Oregon) it is rarely dry and/or above freezing 8 months out of the year.
Cup tires don't make any sense in my situation.

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
My point to you is don't be so fast to judge others and call them dumb.
Read closely what he said....
He said the QUESTION was dumb, NOT the poster.
I don't know about you, but I have, in fact, asked some dumb questions before.

If someone is interested in buying a 650hp car, but isn't sure if they can handle the power, it shouldn't require a great deal of analysis for anyone to answer for themselves.
Self-preservation and old-fashioned common sense should be enough to make the decision from the very outset.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Metalion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sunsalem;1588258217]Where I live (Oregon) it is rarely dry and/or above freezing 8 months out of the year.

If someone is interested in buying a 650hp car, but isn't sure if they can handle the power, it shouldn't require a great deal of analysis for anyone to answer for themselves.
Self-preservation and old-fashioned common sense should be enough to make the decision from the very outset.[/QUOTE

Believe me I am full of stupid questions, I am glad so many people helped me in thinking this out, I admit I have never had a 650HP anything, maybe some of you have, From the answers I gather that yes its more power than you will need and pretty much overkill for any normal street driving, This was my assumption from the beginning, but people, me included love the feeling of power, even if just knowing its there.
I am just trying to decide if having butt loads of power and not being able to use it (Z06) is more or less fun than having a good amount of power (C7) and taking full advantage of it.

Get notified of new replies

To 650 HP street friendly?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ one is not likely to take full advantage of the LT1's 455/460 hp on the street, either.

The 430/436 hp LS3 in my '09 coupe was no slouch, and it had plenty of go in the GS models I drove at Spring Mtn.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

michaelinmech,

We buy Rolex watches...
I buy Rolex watches as an investment.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:44 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

[QUOTE=Metalion;1588258653]
Where I live (Oregon) it is rarely dry and/or above freezing 8 months out of the year.

Self-preservation and old-fashioned common sense should be enough to make the decision from the very outset.[/QUOTE

Believe me I am full of stupid questions, I am glad so many people helped me in thinking this out, I admit I have never had a 650HP anything, maybe some of you have, From the answers I gather that yes its more power than you will need and pretty much overkill for any normal street driving, This was my assumption from the beginning, but people, me included love the feeling of power, even if just knowing its there.
I am just trying to decide if having butt loads of power and not being able to use it (Z06) is more or less fun than having a good amount of power (C7) and taking full advantage of it.
I have some insight for the OP. Came from a 07' Z with 520 rwhp. Love my 14' Z51. It is a better vehicle in every way. Hard to hook up in 1st, spins in 2nd, then pulls OK in 3rd. My Z on the other hand, destroyed 1st, all over the road in 2nd, and pulled so hard in 3rd it made your heart skip a beat.

So for your question, is 650 HP too much: NO!!! Would you be happy with a Z51, I would say yes. Do I want a C7Z: HELL YA!!!

Quick Reply: 650 HP street friendly?